Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 12:56:38 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: i'm glad there are so many scams and frauds  (Read 4133 times)
paulie_w (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 01:13:37 PM

frankly, this is a shorter-term macro-education for the larger scams that are able to be perpetrated in the world of money and finance.

seeing this free market with all the little guys playing out the old standards should pretty much harden fools quickly.

edit/caveat: i also don't know what the fuck i am talking about
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 01:35:52 PM

+1

but my EVE experience tell me that greedy people won't learn. They will keep falling for scams.

Oh well their fault. If someone believe the "hurr durr 7% per week" they deserve to lose everything  Cheesy

WikileaksDude

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 01:44:44 PM

+1

but my EVE experience tell me that greedy people won't learn. They will keep falling for scams.

Oh well their fault. If someone believe the "hurr durr 7% per week" they deserve to lose everything  Cheesy

This can be applied for the people who fall for fake SMS Advertisements too. They deserve what they get.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 01:48:37 PM

Yes, there is definitely some educational value to it. In most cases, victims should look at their loss as tuition. Besides the educational aspect, scams also prove tha Bitcoin protocol works.
 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=96859.msg1067323#msg1067323

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
VeeMiner

Activity: 752

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 01:48:46 PM

I'm not glad that there are so many scams and frauds. But it makes sense. Free market means freedom to use and abuse at the same time. As long as there are gullible people who will fall for it, there will be scammers. It's just a question of supply and demand.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 02:26:08 PM

+1

+1
Eve hardened me to online scams long ago.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1042

Death to enemies!

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 04:31:01 PM

Idiots and inbred imbeciles should not use Bitcoin and computers in general. They will be scammed and stolen. All other free thinking people are welcome and benefit!

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 04:38:30 PM

Idiots and inbred imbeciles should not use Bitcoin and computers in general. They will be scammed and stolen. All other free thinking people are welcome and benefit!

That would mean going back to the Internet pre-WWW. Pandora's Box is open. Eternal September is here to stay.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Death to enemies!

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 04:40:37 PM

That would mean going back to the Internet pre-WWW. Pandora's Box is open. Eternal September is here to stay.
Keep anything important off the computers if you dont know how to manage it!

mobile4ever

Activity: 546

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 04:44:01 PM

Keep anything important off the computers if you dont know how to manage it!

Good advice. I am not glad for the scams, but they do prove the durablity of bitcoin.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Death to enemies!

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 04:48:05 PM

Well they really prove durability of Bitcoins as a medium of value and they also will teach the teachable part of human population to THINK! So OP point of view is valid.

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 05:11:33 PM

I'm not "glad" that there are scams. However, there is a positive effect, which is inoculation of the system.

As scams happen, and businesses fail, and trust is tried and tested and broken, it builds the resolve and resiliency of the system.  Just as a society never exposed to any virus may be wiped out at the first appearance of one, so too an economy never exposed to fraud/failure is more susceptible to a massive disruption when one arises.

You can also think of this in terms of natural selection. Weak businesses and people will lose their money, the strong will earn, keep, and build with it. Capital tends to move toward its best caretaker in a free market (though it's not a straight line to get there - many bumps and regressions along the way).
hua_hui
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1016

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 11:27:16 AM

Scam and fraud can give a lesson to people how to avoid them in the future. From some aspect, they are not bad and can increase the security level of existing system. Indeed some  companies did fail from the scam or fraud. They are so unfortunate and shoud be blamed themself, not others.
Kipsy89

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Relax!

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 11:35:35 AM

Well, it's just another form of scams, actually. I mean, people are willing to pay tons of $$$ because they chase the freaking dream of getting rich quick with mining. No due diligence, and they fall for BFL for example!!!

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 11:49:07 AM

Hmm... two type of people fall victim to scams.

1. The non-tech savvy
2. The greedy

For the first type, we can't do anything. And I don't care about the second type. An example is the Mt Gox scandal. Everyone were warned that keeping Bitcoins in the exchanges is not a good idea. But the greedy ones never listened. They wanted to make quick money, by short selling their coins.
Fiftysven

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 11:54:06 AM

Though lessons u get taught in the bitcoin world  Wink
chaosPT

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 12:12:54 PM

frankly, this is a shorter-term macro-education for the larger scams that are able to be perpetrated in the world of money and finance.

seeing this free market with all the little guys playing out the old standards should pretty much harden fools quickly.

edit/caveat: i also don't know what the fuck i am talking about

Having too much vodka did you  Grin Grin
Xch4ng3

Activity: 661
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2014, 12:17:11 PM

It has it's pros and cons. People who constantly want to trash Bitcoin will use the fact that it's not reversible as their excuse to dismiss Bitcoin, as if scams like that don't happen with fiat money.

Hopefully people learn to use escrow or at least deal with people that can be held accountable through legal avenues. 

[AUTOBUY] [CHEAP] $2 Account Shop -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4611147
chaosPT

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 12:18:14 PM

It has it's pros and cons. People who constantly want to trash Bitcoin will use the fact that it's not reversible as their excuse to dismiss Bitcoin, as if scams like that don't happen with fiat money.

Hopefully people learn to use escrow or at least deal with people that can be held accountable through legal avenues. 

Even trusted member would scam you with thier trust like Project and the other .

They just get more trust and go for the bigger scam .
maurya78

Activity: 490

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 12:18:23 PM

The scams also help keep BTc price down longer to levels allowing mainstream adopters to buy in relatively low

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: