Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 10:24:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How does blockchain.info create their node globe? + Comprehensive nodes source?  (Read 437 times)
cloakdagger (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 03:09:22 AM

I noticed Blockchain has a list of nodes and even a map of those nodes.

I see that nodes always have the data: 182.164.177.191, port 8333, Client version 70002, Sub Version /Satoshi:0.9.3/

But I heard most nodes are anonymous these days so any kind of mapping system wouldn't be too accurate. Is this true?

Is this the reason why their map only has short blue spikes these days compared with the giant green and red spikes it used to have?

Where could I view the most comprehensive listings of nodes in the world? Is there a way to view even anonymous nodes just be looking for Sub Versions called "Satoshi"?

achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6705

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2015, 03:22:11 AM

But I heard most nodes are anonymous these days so any kind of mapping system wouldn't be too accurate. Is this true?
Where did you hear that? There are thousands of public nodes that accept incoming connections.

Where could I view the most comprehensive listings of nodes in the world? Is there a way to view even anonymous nodes just be looking for Sub Versions called "Satoshi"?
You can find the most comprehensive listings at getaddr.bitnodes.io. They use a crawler to connect to every node that is publicly available on the network and accepts incoming connections, which most do. They also have functions to search for specific versions and have other statistics on nodes.

cloakdagger (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 05:50:11 AM

Where did you hear that? There are thousands of public nodes that accept incoming connections.

You can find the most comprehensive listings at getaddr.bitnodes.io. They use a crawler to connect to every node that is publicly available on the network and accepts incoming connections, which most do. They also have functions to search for specific versions and have other statistics on nodes.
Thank you soo much Mr. Knight Smiley

When you say crawler do you mean like a php bot of their own? EDIT: I see they have a python crawler.  

getaddrr and blockchain have other data like transaction volume and IP source of transactions so how would I parse that data myself?

EDIT: Interesting BitNodes has it published on Git.The crawler implementation in Python is available from GitHub (ayeowch/bitnodes)

Curious. On their site they say "Bitnodes is currently being developed to estimate the size of the Bitcoin network by finding all the reachable nodes in the network." Isn't it already doing that? Maybe that means they plan on crawling all versions and not just protocol version 70001?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: