Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:34:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S3 wifi problems  (Read 2812 times)
Frotz (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 05:40:38 AM

I have a Bitmain Antminer S3 to which I've added a wifi antenna[1].  Through the webpage interface, I'm able to see and connect to various wifi access points.  I can then connect through either interface.  But when I remove the ethernet cable,  all networking goes down, including wifi.  What's going on?  Does someone have a step-by-step guide to take an Antminer S3 from factory reset to correctly connecting through wifi?

[1] I removed the cover, then removed the fan closest to the controller board.  This exposes the screws that hold on the end plate.  I took that off, then drilled it for a wifi antenna and screwed it back onto the miner.  That way metal chips did not get into the miner itself.  I then connected an antenna pigtail to the provided connector on the controller board, fastened the pigtail to the end, and closed up the miner.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 06:23:19 PM

You have to confirm the password and wifi settings while connected using ethernet. Then turn it all off, disconnect the ethernet and it should connect using wifi.

You need to setup it up by ethernet first.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Frotz (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 08:32:50 PM

I already set up and confirmed the wifi stuff while logged in through the ethernet port.  Wifi was working, but went down when ethernet went down.  I don't know what the problem was.  I  eventually just did a factory reset and removed the bridging options.  Now wifi stays up when ethernet is not being used.
fvineyard

Activity: 135
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 01:21:23 AM

Someone shared this tip with me about using WiFi on an S3+. It would mine on WiFi once configured, but I had no access via the web interface when using WiFi, and the miner would not respond to a ping.

For this reason I decided to not use WiFi, as I needed a way to monitor the miner and did not like that I had to plug in an Ethernet cable in order to make any changes.

- fvineyard
Frotz (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 04:04:35 AM

Starting from a factory-reset miner, log into it through ethernet plugged directly from your computer to the miner.  Go to Network->Wifi, find your AP and connect with it.  Then go to Network->Interfaces and edit all three networks you see there such that bridging is disabled for all three.  Keep LAN at eth0 and WAN at eth1.  You should see WWAN displaying your AP's name.  Make sure that one is set to use DHCP.   Now, with a computer other than the one talking ethernet to the miner, log into your router and see what shows up as "antminer".  Open a webpage to that IP address and you should be set.  That's how I eventually set mine up.  I put the miner in an out-of-the-way place, plugged it into the wall, and let it go.

My home network has 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.127 reserved for static IPs.  Above that in the same class C is where DHCP assigns addresses.  When I first got this miner, I set it to use a static IP address through eth1.  Later I received and installed a wifi antenna.  I simply thought that I could tell the wifi connection to connect with a static IP or DHCP like various other headless devices I use.  Something in the S3's firmware has this screwed up.  I don't know what it is and I'm not really inclined to diagnose it.  I'm not interested in upgrading the firmware either because I read that past a certain revision, the factory-reset button no longer works.

Note: The RJ45 jack on the miner is always eth1.  If you're in Network->Interfaces and turn both LAN and WAN from eth1, you'll turn off that jack and you won't be able to get in again unless you have wifi set up and working.  If you do that, you'll have to use the factory-reset button.
MikeMike
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1020

★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 03:58:55 AM

Hiya,

Trying to get my S3 to mine through the WIFI.

Having some problems.
I tried the password reset and reboot to no avail...
The WIFI IPv4 address has a question mark.
Do I choose static IP in WWAN?

When I hit "connect" in Interfaces it doe snot connect to the Wireless.

Could you lend a hand?

MM

Starting from a factory-reset miner, log into it through ethernet plugged directly from your computer to the miner.  Go to Network->Wifi, find your AP and connect with it.  Then go to Network->Interfaces and edit all three networks you see there such that bridging is disabled for all three.  Keep LAN at eth0 and WAN at eth1.  You should see WWAN displaying your AP's name.  Make sure that one is set to use DHCP.   Now, with a computer other than the one talking ethernet to the miner, log into your router and see what shows up as "antminer".  Open a webpage to that IP address and you should be set.  That's how I eventually set mine up.  I put the miner in an out-of-the-way place, plugged it into the wall, and let it go.

My home network has 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.127 reserved for static IPs.  Above that in the same class C is where DHCP assigns addresses.  When I first got this miner, I set it to use a static IP address through eth1.  Later I received and installed a wifi antenna.  I simply thought that I could tell the wifi connection to connect with a static IP or DHCP like various other headless devices I use.  Something in the S3's firmware has this screwed up.  I don't know what it is and I'm not really inclined to diagnose it.  I'm not interested in upgrading the firmware either because I read that past a certain revision, the factory-reset button no longer works.

Note: The RJ45 jack on the miner is always eth1.  If you're in Network->Interfaces and turn both LAN and WAN from eth1, you'll turn off that jack and you won't be able to get in again unless you have wifi set up and working.  If you do that, you'll have to use the factory-reset button.

MikeMike
Legendary

★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 07:43:35 AM

S3 WIFI setup including WWAN static IPs.

The info Frotz provided helped and thanks!

I could not connect through my Verizon hot spot but I have it set to static IP so I think this is the problem
and will have to change it to DHCP when I have time and try it.

The S3 did connect to another wireless network.

I followed your instructions but reduced them and included my findings not that all may matter but it worked for me in the following sequence:

1- Starting from a factory-reset miner, log into it through Ethernet plugged directly from your computer to the miner.
Go to WAN and write down all the following addresses under your static IP of 192.168.1.99

Here is the list...
IPv4 netmask:
IPv4 gateway:
IPv4 broadcast:
Use custom DNS servers:

Once you have the above 4 addresses written down...
Go to Network->Wifi, find your AP and connect with it.  Then go to Network->Interfaces.
2- Even if LAN has DHCP hit apply and save anyway,
For me this generated a MAC address.
3- Go to WAN and change static IP to DHCP. Hit "Switch Protocol".
NOTE: Leave the bottom portion as it is. Even though it has the box checked for "Disable DHCP Server for this Interface"
Go directly to bottom and hit "apply and save".

Then log in to 192.168.1.99 by a computer connected to the wireless network.
Not through LAN.
Go to WWAN.
Now you can change your IP to a static IP.
Enter the info you copied earlier from your static LAN IP.
Hit "switch protocol" if it shows up;
Then go to bottom and hit "apply and save".

Repeat the procedure for multiple miners with different WWAN static IPs.

Happy WIFI Mining!
 Smiley

MikeMike

MikeMike
Legendary

★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 04:19:52 AM

New Shortened setup version:

S3 WIFI setup including WWAN static IPs.

The info Frotz provided helped and thanks!

I could not connect through my Verizon hot spot but I have it set to static IP so I think this is the problem
and will have to change it to DHCP when I have time and try it.
The S3 did connect to another wireless network.
I followed your instructions but reduced them and included my findings not that all may matter but it worked for me in the following sequence:

S3 WIFI SETUP:

1- Starting from a factory-reset miner, log into it through Ethernet plugged directly from your computer to the miner.
Go to WAN and write down all the following addresses under your static IP of 192.168.1.99

Here is the list...
IPv4 netmask:
IPv4 gateway:
IPv4 broadcast:
Use custom DNS servers:

Once you have the above 4 addresses written down...
Go to Network->Wifi, Hit Search, find your Wireless Network/Cell Phone Wifi/Wifi Extender and connect with it.  
Then go to Network->Interfaces-WWAN at the bottom and hit "Connect".
2- Even if LAN has DHCP hit apply and save anyway,
For me this generated a MAC address.
3- Go to WWAN and change DHCP to Static IP and enter the listed info above
list...
IPv4 netmask:
IPv4 gateway:
IPv4 broadcast:
Use custom DNS servers:

Hit Save and Apply.
Then go to WAN and change to DHCP
and you will begin mining.

Repeat the procedure for multiple miners with different WWAN static IPs.

Happy WIFI Mining!
 Smiley

MikeMike

MikeMike
Legendary

★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 03:43:34 PM
Last edit: February 03, 2016, 06:29:38 PM by MikeMike

Anyone else have this happen to them?

I have two S3 miners running through WIFI and also connected to only one to my computer by Ethernet cable.
I can access both WIFI miners through that 1 cable so am communicating to the second one
I guess through a bridge.

Does not matter which one I am connected to, it is the same result.
Pretty cool!

I guess is the way it is meant to work but would like to know for sure.

MM

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: