Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:42:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it even worth it to buy/order an ASIC single now?  (Read 13812 times)
opentoe (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2012, 05:35:03 PM

After reading the speculations on what is going to happen it seems the only people that will benefit from the new ASIC hardware is the first users to get the hardware and of course the mega/large mining ASIC rigs out there. I've seen no good news about a guy that just wants to run a single rig at his house to have some fun, make a little BTC to pay off the rig...but it seems that poor guy won't even get a return good enough to even pay off the rig (only $1300) itself. Does everyone agree with this? I mean its like me buying an Nvidia GTX 480 single video card right now. It just won't make any money even with it running 24/7. Since I'm middle class here I can't afford to spend $1300 on something that may not do anything. I wish there were guarantees here....

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 05:49:28 PM

I've seen no good news about a guy that just wants to run a single rig at his house to have some fun, make a little BTC to pay off the rig.

I think the days of the hobbyist miner are gone. The next generation of miners are going to be a more serious lot. Their motivation will be to get some bitcoin and to add muscle to the network. Bitcoin's going pro, it seems.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 06:06:13 PM

No guarantees anymore.  No more easy money.  No more paying off computer hardware by mining.  Sorry, you missed out on those boats.

If I hadn't already preordered, I'd be waiting on the sidelines right now until I saw how quickly BFL makes it through the preorder list.  If they made it through quickly enough, and there was still enough profit in it to pay off the unit in 6 months or less, I'd probably buy.  Otherwise, I'd probably stay out of the mining game, and instead, buy up a few bitcoins here and there, and wait for those to appreciate.
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2012, 06:08:00 PM

Surely, profitability is a function both of the network difficulty level and also the exchange rate if you're cashing out into fiat immediately. Obviously, early adopters are rewarded for having taken the risk of the early plunge.

If I could dig up the $30k I'd be seriously tempted by the ASIC minirig. Somehow, though, I can't see any bank lending me that. Grin

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 06:13:08 PM

Surely, profitability is a function both of the network difficulty level and also the exchange rate if you're cashing out into fiat immediately. Obviously, early adopters are rewarded for having taken the risk of the early plunge.

If I could dig up the $30k I'd be seriously tempted by the ASIC minirig. Somehow, though, I can't see any bank lending me that. Grin
I tried - they asked what the loan would be for, I explained mining, and they promptly sent back a professionally courteous email saying my laon request had been denied.   Cheesy
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 06:15:09 PM

I wish there were guarantees here....

These ASICs are special-purpose, bleeding-edge technology that is depending the success of a paradigm-shifting innovation -- decentralized digital currency.

If you want guarantees, consider looking elsewhere.

Otherwise, I'd probably stay out of the mining game, and instead, buy up a few bitcoins here and there, and wait for those to appreciate.

Yup.

In 70 days, the block reward is going to drop from 50 BTC to 25 BTC, or about $43,000 per day worth of bitcoins issued at the current exchange rate.

Competing for those $43K worth are existing GPU miners, existing FPGA miners, new FPGA miners (and maybe a couple new GPU miners where electricity is cheap or free) , and a few ... well, more than a few ... perhaps a ton, of ASIC miners:

- http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison#ASICs

Nobody knows whose will be first.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2012, 06:21:04 PM

I tried - they asked what the loan would be for, I explained mining, and they promptly sent back a professionally courteous email saying my laon request had been denied.   Cheesy

I thought about this, and in essence it amounts to requesting a loan for de-facto gambling on a commodity market. Grin I still love Bitcoin though and am seriously contemplating investing in a few BFL single SCs. I even spoke to Josh briefly at the London conference and he seems ok - then again, his sales pitch was hardly going to start "sorry but BFL still sucks at delivering on time", so it's not a straightforward issue. Anyway, given that I'm a bit of a n00b, and that my copy of Ubuntu 12.04 isn't even bloody installing on my lappie right now, I need to keep a cool-headed stock of everything!

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
opentoe (OP)
Legendary

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2012, 06:34:47 PM

I thought about this, and in essence it amounts to requesting a loan for de-facto gambling on a commodity market. Grin I still love Bitcoin though and am seriously contemplating investing in a few BFL single SCs. I even spoke to Josh briefly at the London conference and he seems ok - then again, his sales pitch was hardly going to start "sorry but BFL still sucks at delivering on time", so it's not a straightforward issue. Anyway, given that I'm a bit of a n00b, and that my copy of Ubuntu 12.04 isn't even bloody installing on my lappie right now, I need to keep a cool-headed stock of everything!

But why grab singles when you probably won't even be able to pay them off in a decent time frame? I only heard about bitcoin a few months ago so I missed out on all the reaping or I should say raping that went on to accumulate coin. I can live with that but like someone else wrote it seems like only the big boys will earn enough to stay in the game. I think they should open up a new type area/network for the hobby guys, just our network tied into the main big boy network so we can all get our noses wet.

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 06:37:35 PM

But why grab singles when you probably won't even be able to pay them off in a decent time frame? I only heard about bitcoin a few months ago so I missed out on all the reaping or I should say raping that went on to accumulate coin. I can live with that but like someone else wrote it seems like only the big boys will earn enough to stay in the game. I think they should open up a new type area/network for the hobby guys, just our network tied into the main big boy network so we can all get our noses wet.
Well, you can still get your nose wet with a GPU, you just won't pay the cost of it back.

You could always mine on test net.  Or namecoins, etc.  You'll get plenty of coins there.

I guess I am unsure what you really want.  You are sad you couldn't get in on the earlier mining opportunities that were profitable, so you are looking for ways to open up new mining opportunities that are profitable?
opentoe (OP)
Legendary

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2012, 06:52:14 PM

Well, you can still get your nose wet with a GPU, you just won't pay the cost of it back.

You could always mine on test net.  Or namecoins, etc.  You'll get plenty of coins there.

I guess I am unsure what you really want.  You are sad you couldn't get in on the earlier mining opportunities that were profitable, so you are looking for ways to open up new mining opportunities that are profitable?

I just love the whole bitcoin idea and the freedom it gives. Since I'm more of a technical person I wanted to try mining out at home. Then reading about how ASIC will change that forever stopped me from pre-ordering a couple single units. I basically wanted to participate in this idea, maybe make a little money and have fun.

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 06:58:01 PM

I just love the whole bitcoin idea and the freedom it gives. Since I'm more of a technical person I wanted to try mining out at home. Then reading about how ASIC will change that forever stopped me from pre-ordering a couple single units. I basically wanted to participate in this idea, maybe make a little money and have fun.
Then buy a $150 ASIC.  You should be able to participate in this idea, maybe make a little money, and have fun.
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 02:39:16 AM

I've seen no good news about a guy that just wants to run a single rig at his house to have some fun, make a little BTC to pay off the rig...but it seems that poor guy won't even get a return good enough to even pay off the rig (only $1300) itself.
---snip---
Since I'm middle class here I can't afford to spend $1300 on something that may not do anything. I wish there were guarantees here....

Why this self defeating "only the rich get richer" attitude?

Should there be any guarantees?  Is the whole point of mining bitcoin to get rich?  Does it take a high end rig to get some bitcoins?

No, no and no.

I have a fairly low end rig and if the ASIC's do come to fruition I will again have the low end version of those too.  I too don't have allot of spare cash to invest in the highest end mining gear.  But I am mining consistently, earning bitcoins for an investment over time.  When bitcoin starts becoming a mainstream currency and increases in value then it will have been a useful endeavor.  I'm not going to get rich, most likely, but that's not my goal in life.

Loosen up, quit being envious of those who have more than us, rich people have their own set of problems, usually worse than the problems we have.
Hope I wasn't too preachy Smiley,
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2012, 04:57:10 AM

I've seen no good news about a guy that just wants to run a single rig at his house to have some fun, make a little BTC to pay off the rig...but it seems that poor guy won't even get a return good enough to even pay off the rig (only $1300) itself.
---snip---
Since I'm middle class here I can't afford to spend $1300 on something that may not do anything. I wish there were guarantees here....

Why this self defeating "only the rich get richer" attitude?

Should there be any guarantees?  Is the whole point of mining bitcoin to get rich?  Does it take a high end rig to get some bitcoins?

No, no and no.

I have a fairly low end rig and if the ASIC's do come to fruition I will again have the low end version of those too.  I too don't have allot of spare cash to invest in the highest end mining gear.  But I am mining consistently, earning bitcoins for an investment over time.  When bitcoin starts becoming a mainstream currency and increases in value then it will have been a useful endeavor.  I'm not going to get rich, most likely, but that's not my goal in life.

Loosen up, quit being envious of those who have more than us, rich people have their own set of problems, usually worse than the problems we have.
Hope I wasn't too preachy Smiley,
Sam
well said Sam

Plus there is a whole Bitcoin economy out there waiting to be developed, plenty of money to be made in non-mining ways.

Cheers
Graet

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 05:01:51 AM

You got two months to put together gpu rigs for about 1500 and you can get some btc fast. Then sell the hardware to recoup some costs. If elect costs are low you will come out ahead.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 01:50:03 PM

You got two months to put together gpu rigs for about 1500 and you can get some btc fast. Then sell the hardware to recoup some costs. If elect costs are low you will come out ahead.
The time for building a GPU rig has passed. You won't have enough time to recoup a fraction of your costs, and the market for used 5970s and 7970s is going to be flooded in about 2 months.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
mila

Activity: 462

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 02:16:51 PM

I'd say go for it. Buy yourself a raspberry pi or similar low powered computer to operate it.
When ASICs will be available the network hash rate will double every few months for a year at least. I won't try to predict more than 1 year development. In july the estimated preordered mining hardware was 40 ths, twice the current or recent total network capacity. It seems reasonable to expect from BFL (or whoever moves first to market) that they would ship that much hardware to miners within few months.
let the back order queue be 6 months and will slowly decrease to 1-2 months (as observed with fpga bfl products).
if you keep it mining 24/7 since the purchase than you will have fun operating it and watching the payouts. A BFL singe mines 3.50 per month today. It was surely more in february and will be less in the future. jalapenos should perform as well. maybe the payout will decrease faster and never start at 3.50 in the first place, but you'll have fun for sure mining at home with a small number of units. choosing a pool, responding to incidents, watching mining luck & variance or not care about mining as long as it will just work.
I'd wait for first independent reports and then order.

your ad here:
Desolator

Activity: 392

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 03:11:22 PM

You know, it's strange to say "only the big guys will make money fast" seeing as how let's say 1 Jalapeno for $149 will pay for itself in 3 months after the difficulty goes through the roof.  Then 2 Jalapenos for $298 will pay for themselves in 3 months and so will 50 Jalapenos.

The reality is nobody is going to make money since they'll all screw each other over from driving the difficulty up Cheesy Butterfly labs will make money though, lol.
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 04:46:09 PM

A BFL singe mines 3.50 per month today. It was surely more in february and will be less in the future.

I'm a bit confused here.  Are you saying a current BFL single, which produces around 800Mhs, gets 3.5 bitcoins a month?

Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 04:57:33 PM

A BFL singe mines 3.50 per month today. It was surely more in february and will be less in the future.

I'm a bit confused here.  Are you saying a current BFL single, which produces around 800Mhs, gets 3.5 bitcoins a month?
Should be a bit more, like 8-9 bitcoins, but yeah. 800mh/s is nothing these days.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 05:06:58 PM

Should be a bit more, like 8-9 bitcoins, but yeah. 800mh/s is nothing these days.

I'm getting more than 3.5 per month on less than 800Mhs.  I wouldn't call 8 or 9 per month nothing. Smiley
Sam

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: