Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:06:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any safe way to config RPC when running on TOR?  (Read 1398 times)
d4n13 (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 101

“Create Your Decentralized Life”

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 04:54:36 PM

Background, I'm running a full node, but my Orwellian ISP bans peer to peer (even calls it out in the TOS), they have even warned me when they see ports open through my NAT.  So to counter my ISP, I'm running bitcoin on TOR.  This violates TOS, but they haven't detected my TOR config since I use bridges.  I'm configured with -onlynet=onion so a lot of the exit-node threats would be neutralized.

Running bitcoin on TOR works great... but... this has the side effect of binding EXTERNAL traffic to 127.0.0.1.  My fear is, that opening up RPC requests with -rpcbind=127.0.0.1 would open me up to the world.  Similar to -rpcbind=* (<== bad!!!).

Now on the the one safeguard I have is that TOR only binds specified ports to 127.0.0.1 through their hidden services config.

So if I configure TOR to only bind to 127.0.0.1:8333, then go ahead and open up 127.0.0.1:8332 (locally, not TOR), should I be safe, or would I be foolhardy.  This is my hot wallet I'm talking about.

BTW, the reason I'm not binding RPC to a fake addr like 0.0.0.0 is that I need RPC for walletpassphrase commands.  I never felt good about issuing those through bitcoin-cli since the argument list is in the clear and viewable by any process or service on my box.

PS.. realize this is kind of a TOR specific question, so I will likely cross post to /r/TOR

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
onemorexmr

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 04:53:47 PM

you could try to add multiple ip's for loopback:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/444124/how-to-add-a-loopback-interface

and bind bitcoin rpc to another one of them.

(i have not tried that and i am not familiar with tor: so please check if it works)

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 8419

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2015, 06:12:45 PM

Tor hidden service support can only connect to the specified ports in the tor configuration.

Additional your RPC is protected by the rpcuser/rpcpassword. The binding restriction is just belt and suspenders because, e.g. sometimes users copy their rpcpassword out of example configurations they find on the internet.

Just don't to anything too crazy-- like copy your rpcpassword off the net or reconfigure tor to allow connections to the rpc port-- and you'll be fine.
goregrind

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 09:17:24 AM

Also 0.0.0.0 is not a fake addr. It stands for ALL addresses available on your server.

woot?
Hannu

Activity: 1061
Merit: 502

RIP: S5, A faithful device long time

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 04:22:09 PM

Background, I'm running a full node, but my Orwellian ISP bans peer to peer (even calls it out in the TOS), they have even warned me when they see ports open through my NAT.  So to counter my ISP, I'm running bitcoin on TOR.  This violates TOS, but they haven't detected my TOR config since I use bridges.  I'm configured with -onlynet=onion so a lot of the exit-node threats would be neutralized.

Running bitcoin on TOR works great... but... this has the side effect of binding EXTERNAL traffic to 127.0.0.1.  My fear is, that opening up RPC requests with -rpcbind=127.0.0.1 would open me up to the world.  Similar to -rpcbind=* (<== bad!!!).

Now on the the one safeguard I have is that TOR only binds specified ports to 127.0.0.1 through their hidden services config.

So if I configure TOR to only bind to 127.0.0.1:8333, then go ahead and open up 127.0.0.1:8332 (locally, not TOR), should I be safe, or would I be foolhardy.  This is my hot wallet I'm talking about.

BTW, the reason I'm not binding RPC to a fake addr like 0.0.0.0 is that I need RPC for walletpassphrase commands.  I never felt good about issuing those through bitcoin-cli since the argument list is in the clear and viewable by any process or service on my box.

PS.. realize this is kind of a TOR specific question, so I will likely cross post to /r/TOR

You mean something like example ninja stick? Little over 20 dollars. Yep loopback adapter, its slow down littlebit of connection.

BTC: 3Qnnx4cu45Gx4WcksNCnBPu3TaUZ5sKkLo
LTC: LYX1ZH7f4qcXq52AzA6grUYDfDngVz7BEi
XRP: rLrbZMJDdL8eQd7HsW314bCtvE16LTLYkM?dt=1113
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: