Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 05:05:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Building a super computer...  (Read 2153 times)
that1guy (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 11:43:24 PM

Hey all,
I'm looking into building a computer cluster for rendering 3D models and for simulating physics, and I'm considering using the idle time for mining bitcoins.  My biggest concern is... How the hell do I stop someone from stealing the computers or from the cops thinkging I'm doing something illegal??

I'm afraid someone will steal the equipment (even though it'll weigh 700lb+ total) just because it looks expensive.  There have been a lot of ghetto looking people moving into my area and I really don't want my computers stolen.

I'm afraid the police will think I'm upto something illegal because my electric bill will rise significantly.  I heard rumors about the police raiding people's homes because of the increase in energy consumption.  I'm sure the police wouldn't think twice about raiding my home, because there were two other houses in my neighborhood that have been raided because they were drug dealers (one guy had bombs and my next door neighbors were the sinaloa drug cartel running a 34 million dollar operation).  I really don't wanna get raided & I REALLY don't want my computers confiscated or something.

Any ideas??

I have a few other questions, too, like cooling, but I'll save those for later Smiley  All together I'm looking to spend $10,000-$15,000 through out this project.
SysRun

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 11:57:18 PM

Don't make your equipment visible from any windows. Don't tell anyone about your equipment. Get renter's/homeowner's insurance.

As far as the police, you can call your power company and let them know what's up, but that's probably not necessary.

Images are not allowed. As your member rank increases, you can use more types of styling in your signature, and your signature can be longer. See the stickies in Meta for more info.
Max 2000; characters remaining: 1781
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 12:09:58 AM

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/39622
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/67109

/thread

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
that1guy (OP)

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 12:14:26 AM

Don't make your equipment visible from any windows. Don't tell anyone about your equipment. Get renter's/homeowner's insurance.

As far as the police, you can call your power company and let them know what's up, but that's probably not necessary.
Thanks for the response Smiley   My biggest concern related to theft, is that someone will break in hoping to score a laptop & TV, but stumble upon the servers, and stealing those too.  Do you think it'd be good enough to have the rack bolted/welded into the floor and each individual server locked into the rack cabinet?

Thanks for the idea on calling the power company!  I probly never would've thought of that xD

@ mufa23:
haha that'll work while I'm home, but not while I'm away! xD  + I already got a shotgun with .00 buckshot & a .40 glock Smiley
mufa23
Legendary

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 01:55:28 AM

@ mufa23:
haha that'll work while I'm home, but not while I'm away! xD  + I already got a shotgun with .00 buckshot & a .40 glock Smiley
Make frequent trips to the shooting range. Or at least, act like it. When you see them outside; walk outside with your guns, ammo, stuff, and load them into your car. Don't brandish your firearms, just act nonchalant as if you were heading to the range. Drive off. Show back up in a few hours. Unload your car with holes in paper targets. Hell, make them them all bullseye's for shits and giggles.

They aren't going to rob you when you are home. And chances are they won't rob you knowing that you could come home, and you are well experienced with firearms.

I remember hearing that 80% of home break-ins are by people you know, or who have been in your house before. Letting everyone know that I am well armed seems to be working for me.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
that1guy (OP)

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 02:35:16 AM

@ mufa23: That is technically brandishing xD

Anyway my dad says he doesn't like anyone knowing he's got guns, because according to him, it may possibly make some people think you're protecting something of high value.  But your theory has some good ground too.  I suppose by showing off the fact you've got guns just changes who might want to break into your house.  It'll definitely (IMO) deter someone just looking for quick pickings, but on the other hand it may attract more experienced/hardened criminals.

None-the-less, I don't feel that showing off some guns is the best solution in keeping my computers in my possession, and it definitely won't stop the cops xD
CJGoodings

Activity: 322
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 02:39:13 AM

@ mufa23:
Make frequent trips to the shooting range. Or at least, act like it. When you see them outside; walk outside with your guns, ammo, stuff, and load them into your car. Don't brandish your firearms, just act nonchalant as if you were heading to the range. Drive off. Show back up in a few hours. Unload your car with holes in paper targets. Hell, make them them all bullseye's for shits and giggles.

They aren't going to rob you when you are home. And chances are they won't rob you knowing that you could come home, and you are well experienced with firearms.

I remember hearing that 80% of home break-ins are by people you know, or who have been in your house before. Letting everyone know that I am well armed seems to be working for me.

Umm, that shit doesnt fly as much this day in age. People these days are pussies, and something like that will get the cops called on you.

"ZOMG the terrorists are going to get me, and hes wearing a john dear hat..."
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 02:45:43 AM

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Branzig

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

@WizardOfOre

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2012, 03:25:33 AM

I am still stupid on computers after all these years, Hi. My name is Brandyn. If you live in the USA, as long as you are NOT doing anything, they won't mess with you, They know, they always know, if they find out you are running twice the power of a grow house for generating money. Well, In this country, the red represents the blood people have spilled for your right to make and have as much money as you like, and If you get enough, then, hell, whateva! Your the boss.  Grin Can you tell me how to make a mining rig with my Dell Dimension C521 and a HP Pavilion 503n? Thanks, Branzig @BranzigGracerX

mufa23
Legendary

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 04:01:59 AM
Last edit: September 25, 2012, 03:14:35 AM by mufa23

@ mufa23: That is technically brandishing xD
What State are you living in? Putting a firearm in your car has never been "brandishing".

Umm, that shit doesnt fly as much this day in age. People these days are pussies, and something like that will get the cops called on you.

"ZOMG the terrorists are going to get me, and hes wearing a john dear hat..."
Happens a lot, but you rarely get in trouble for it. Up here, you'll be ticketed for wasting a cops' time. I had a bitchy neighbor like that. Cops can be pretty bro tier sometimes.

Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2012, 04:32:25 AM

Put all your equipment in an old looking case(s). Use CRT monitors. Tongue. (Not really serious about the CRTs, but they do offer better color quality at the beginning of their lifetime although it will degrade over time.)

Tangle all the cables.

Set a BIOS password (and hope they don't know about clearing CMOS.)

Put a couple dents in the case(s) (if you're using an old one.)

Leave IDE cables lying around the computer. Also add a floppy disk drive to your computer, but don't plug it in unless you need it.

You could attach a tracking device to the inside of the case(s), maybe hide it in a 3.5" drive bay, or a dummy 5.25" CD/DVD drive.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
Branzig

Activity: 316

@WizardOfOre

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2012, 04:59:16 AM

Angry ...or detonate a car bomb & spray some Serin Wax in the subway system at the VMA's and watch their faces turn ashen grey! then they will think twice before messing with you, Muah ha ha! TWITTER @BranzigGracerX www.facebook.com/branzig.garcia  Roll Eyes

TheMan

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 09:43:30 AM

Make sure that you don't make it obvious that there is something very valuable in there. The thieves might be tempted if they see your house rocking steel enforced window and doors, make the security as high as one of your paranoid neighbors. I would take the easy route and just move to someplace else if you got that much money to spend in the first place...

Generosity is appreciated: 15voSyFC8bDXksQy4miAzgM9MGMkPwgjUD (BTC)
Several Steam keys for 10, 25 and 50 bitcents [In Stock]
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131738.0
Get steam games for bitcoins, lower than retail, large library of games: https://www.bitmit.net/en/user/steamgames
Lethos

Activity: 476

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2012, 11:32:16 AM

Depends on how elaborate you are prepared to go:

For home installations of really expensive items that aren't on show I'm always a fan of the hidden room.
These are usually easy as hell to pull off in basements. Since the floor size is not always the same size as what is above it in old houses.

Half the room off with plasterboard and make a small door shaped hole in it's place. So you have a hidden and open portion of the space.
Place a really heavy bookcase or similar in front of said hole. I'd recommend, removing any "feet" on the bookcase and replace it with marble sized ball bearings to allow it to slide and move around abit.

Fit a A/C unit, big box freezer etc, anything old and clunky that makes a decent amount of noise in the open space, nearby to disguise the sound of the computer in the hidden space. That A/C unit could even help with all that extra heat.

Put a ton of stuff in the open space and make sure this fake wall is decorated, so it's fake-ness is not too easily noticed.

In the advent it is found, I do recommend bolting and chaining it to the floor, so at the least removing it from it's hidden room is difficult and time consuming.

... I could go on...

sobriket

Activity: 144

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 01:26:56 PM

Why not rent space in a data centre? Your box won't fit in the usual rack space but this way you deal with the issue of theft and conspicuous electricity use.
Arto
Donator

Activity: 213

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2012, 12:09:12 PM

Why not rent space in a data centre? Your box won't fit in the usual rack space but this way you deal with the issue of theft and conspicuous electricity use.

My thoughts exactly. With a budget on the order of what the OP described, colocation at an affordable data center is what I would do. If you don't expect to need hands on the equipment too frequently, it could even be a data center not in the same town or region, which should help in finding a cost-effective provider.

Alternatively, renting a small office in a business park or industrial area might be an affordable and comparatively more secure (versus keeping the rig at home in a bad neighborhood, at least) option.

ingrownpocket
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 12:13:41 PM

Hey all,
I'm looking into building a computer cluster for rendering 3D models and for simulating physics, and I'm considering using the idle time for mining bitcoins.  My biggest concern is... How the hell do I stop someone from stealing the computers or from the cops thinkging I'm doing something illegal??

I'm afraid someone will steal the equipment (even though it'll weigh 700lb+ total) just because it looks expensive.  There have been a lot of ghetto looking people moving into my area and I really don't want my computers stolen.

I'm afraid the police will think I'm upto something illegal because my electric bill will rise significantly.  I heard rumors about the police raiding people's homes because of the increase in energy consumption.  I'm sure the police wouldn't think twice about raiding my home, because there were two other houses in my neighborhood that have been raided because they were drug dealers (one guy had bombs and my next door neighbors were the sinaloa drug cartel running a 34 million dollar operation).  I really don't wanna get raided & I REALLY don't want my computers confiscated or something.

Any ideas??

I have a few other questions, too, like cooling, but I'll save those for later Smiley  All together I'm looking to spend $10,000-$15,000 through out this project.
I would seriously consider changing home.
underminer

Activity: 210

Not for hire.

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 01:07:56 AM

I would say if you have 10,000 - 15,000 to spend, definitely budget in a change of address, all it takes is one unfortunate incident and you will lose all of your progress.  Can you imagine explaining what the total value of your equipment was to an insurer?  Even if they believed you they wouldn't want to pay out if the time came, reducing their commitment one way or another.

I am interested to see how this project of yours is coming.  It seems to me that this forum would be a good place to buy mining hardware, fyi.

Keep your bitcoins my .02 are free.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 03:53:51 AM

They can still use those heat cameras and think you're running a mini weed farm.

@OP move out of your mom's house and rent an apartment somewhere with less GTA players. or rent space at a datacenter Smiley
c4n10

Activity: 294

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 04:19:10 AM

You'd be surprised at how many states in the U.S. have some sort of "open-carry" policy. In a lot of states you're usually ok to open-carry your weapons so long as you do so responsibly.

Yes, you will get the occasional person who will call the cops freaked about the "guy with the gun" but when the police approach so long as you make it obvious that you are not dangerous, you are licensed to open carry (if necessary to be licensed in your state) and so long as your weapon is holstered in an obvious location where it can be seen.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: