Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 04:07:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: A Grexit for Bitcoin is  (Voting closed: July 17, 2015, 06:17:47 PM)
bad - 1 (7.1%)
rather bad - 0 (0%)
doesn't matter. - 2 (14.3%)
rather good - 3 (21.4%)
good - 8 (57.1%)
Total Voters: 14

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is a Grexit good or bad for Bitcoin?  (Read 503 times)
porcupine87 (OP)

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

hm

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 06:17:47 PM

So far I always thought that a Grexit might lead to higher bitcoin prices but I am not really sure anymore. If Greece leaves the Euro, this might lead to more stabilisation for the Euro. Other countries like Spain or Italy might get aware that they might have to leave the Euro if they can't handle with money and household. On the other hand this might lead on to the Italians and the Spanish transform their money away from theier country to an save haven like Germany.

So what is your opinion?

Just FYI: 10 of 18 EURO countries are ready for the Grexit. Only Italy, France and Cypres are strictly against ist. Plus European commission and EU Parliament. But there is only one big country for the Grexit (Germany).

https://twitter.com/prchovanec/status/620214423018426368/photo/1

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 06:20:03 PM

For me it is a good thing, but at the end it is also a subjective thing... so I can't say an objective thing.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 07:03:51 PM

does not matter much, if instead of greece there was another country the same would have been happened, big investor are only riding the wave

it's good as a lark-mirror to attract, newbies investors
ssmc2
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1040

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 07:11:17 PM

The Euro itself was doomed from the start. This is just the beginning of the inevitable.
shark32

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 07:23:14 PM

To me it's certain that Grexit would be a good thing, not for the Euro neither for the EU and propably not even for the worlds already troubled financial system, but for Bitcoin.

There are lots and lots of indications pointing there. Take a look at the gold price... it got nothing but slammed during the last week, despite the fact that china got it's worst bubble pop since the early 90's and the whole EU drama going on. Of course this is due to heavy market rigging by the central planners and/or the big banks. (Got more evidence to prove this, but I'm lazy, will look it up if requestet.)
Pretty much the same goes for stocks and bonds, the markets behave like there is not even a slight chance the party might be over soon.

But... but... there is the one honest asset left thats behaving accordingly to what anyone would expect of digital gold. (Yes I know there is manipulation going on with BTC as well, but that only effects day traders.)

The whole "Is Grexit good for BTC because XYZ happens" thing is coming down to one simple answer:

Yes it is good, because times like these will rise the average "fearlevel" of the whole population. People that get frightened are biologically determined to look for safety. Bitcoin has the ability to provide this safety, at least in the opinion of an steadily increasing amount of people.

Dont get me wrong, to me bitcoin is still an infant that could still fail anytime on some techinical issues or maybe some stupid debate about an blocksize increase (do it! wtf is wrong with those people?) and its far from being a "confirmed" (where is proudhon? Sad) store of value. But some fear will find its way into bitcoin, for sure. Furthermore, as things go these days, it's not to be expected that the overall "fearlevel" will decrease anytime soon.

From this point on you can do the math. Bitcoins market cap is what some measily 5 billion at best? I'm sure you all read those speculations about what would happen if BTC would get just an x% share of "insertsomethingbighere" and all those numbers are quite stunning.

Good times for Bitcoin ahead!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: