Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:54:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A question to the bitcoin "hackers".  (Read 1161 times)
DiscoverCebu (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 02:31:32 PM
Last edit: July 14, 2015, 11:50:13 AM by DiscoverCebu

What would you to hack a private key(with a portion of it known to you) if say it took 40 years to hack a wallet with many bitcoins? And in 39 years there would be an invention of a computer that could do it in 1 year. Would you start brute-forcing now or would you wait until the invention of the better computer?
P.S:Oh btw, tell me if this is not the right board for this discussion.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Morecoin Freeman

Activity: 854
Merit: 503

Legendary trader

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 02:33:09 PM

I am on the price speculation forums?

Ask the stranger he knows who you really are.
Zorrocoin

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 05:18:16 PM

What would you to hack a private key if say it took 40 years to hack a wallet with many bitcoins? And in 39 years there would be an invention of a computer that could do it in 1 year. Would you start brute-forcing now or would you wait until the invention of the better computer?
P.S:Oh btw, tell me if this is not the right board for this discussion.

This is a rather uncanny question. Firstly, I would rather do something else if it would take me 40 YEARS to hack a wallet with many bitcoins lol . Secondly, even if thiis situation were to happen , I would continue my 40 th year  rather than risking my 39 years for a computer that turns out dysfunctional.
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2015, 05:44:34 PM

As a reminder: as of the current state of the art, 40 years is nowhere near the right time horizon for cracking a wallet that was generated in a secure way. Even Tianhe-2, the most powerful supercomputer in the world, would take hundreds of thousands of years.

I mean, it's still an interesting hypothetical - plays into a lot of classic economic allocation questions - but I want to make sure you realize that it's not a realistic one, for the moment.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 09:47:05 PM

First of all it depends on what the computer costs...
Second it doesn't matter.

Once Bitcoin is hackable within a specific period of time it will be fundamentally flawed...
Currently you need thousands of years to crack it...

Workaround would be to do what most secure wallets already do and that is move all money to a new wallet every transaction.
This protects the public key from getting exposed. Since the public key is only published with an outgoing transaction.

Then again if SHA256 is hackable, Bitcoin would be 100% flawed since you can hack an account based on the account number ....  Grin

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 08:21:40 AM

First of all it depends on what the computer costs...
Second it doesn't matter.

Once Bitcoin is hackable within a specific period of time it will be fundamentally flawed...
Currently you need thousands of years to crack it...

Workaround would be to do what most secure wallets already do and that is move all money to a new wallet every transaction.
This protects the public key from getting exposed. Since the public key is only published with an outgoing transaction.

Then again if SHA256 is hackable, Bitcoin would be 100% flawed since you can hack an account based on the account number ....  Grin

i can be sure that in the remote case of that possibility, we can change our algo in time, long before it will happen, but this will not come without pain, because mining at that point would be a very big industry, and they can't simply sell all their miners to buy new asic that work with a new algo

we can assume that bitcoin would be screwed if that will ever happen....
DiscoverCebu (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 11:49:31 AM

As a reminder: as of the current state of the art, 40 years is nowhere near the right time horizon for cracking a wallet that was generated in a secure way. Even Tianhe-2, the most powerful supercomputer in the world, would take hundreds of thousands of years.

I mean, it's still an interesting hypothetical - plays into a lot of classic economic allocation questions - but I want to make sure you realize that it's not a realistic one, for the moment.
Ok hearing all of the interesting comments you guys have put here, and all about SHA256 being unhackable and all. I would like to change the question a bit. Say you have some hint say, 2/3rd or some portion of the private key is known to you. And you would need 39 more years to find out(brute-forcing) the rest. 
freebit13

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 12:23:42 PM

Ok hearing all of the interesting comments you guys have put here, and all about SHA256 being unhackable and all. I would like to change the question a bit. Say you have some hint say, 2/3rd or some portion of the private key is known to you. And you would need 39 more years to find out(brute-forcing) the rest. 
... and in 38 years 11 months and 29 days; he moves the coins to a new wallet  Grin

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
DiscoverCebu (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 04:28:35 PM

... and in 38 years 11 months and 29 days; he moves the coins to a new wallet  Grin
The hypothetical situation is getting complicated by the minute. Well now that you have told it. Say its a lost wallet, and you somehow got a portion of the private key.
Omikifuse
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 04:34:12 PM

I would just move around and look for other ways of earning money.

40 years is too much, even if I can earn millions with a good probability.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 04:43:46 PM

Your going to be bummed out when your target changes his password 30 years from now.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
DiscoverCebu (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 04:47:22 PM

Your going to be bummed out when your target changes his password 30 years from now.
The hypothetical situation is getting complicated by the minute. Well now that you have told it. Say its a lost wallet, and you somehow got a portion of the private key.
Yeah I added another condition, say its a lost wallet.
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 06:15:31 PM

Yeah I added another condition, say its a lost wallet.
So a wallet containing lost Bitcoins, but a good portion of the private key is known, would you try to brute force it if it would take 40 years?

NO! It would be futile, 40 years of computing time would probably take more than 40 actual years anyway. Then what if Bitcoin hard-forks to a new encryption in the mean time? Or if it is worthless in 40 years?

IF it was 1 year it would be possible for someone to think about it, but 40 years is far too long, I would be over 70 by the time the code was cracked, I'd rather just live my life normally and not worry about it.
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 08:32:18 PM

... and in 38 years 11 months and 29 days; he moves the coins to a new wallet  Grin

Well *ahem* if you have a good portion of the private key then grab dem coins!!!.

But I doubt people will put in 40 years of effort. You'll be old and shit...

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 08:45:35 PM

Trying to brute-force is more difficult and time consuming than actually mining. => You will earn MUCH MUCH MORE by mining.  You can brute force 1,000 years and in the end you will not found a single satoshi.
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 08:52:36 PM

glub0x
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1013

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 09:50:12 PM

You can't brute force and say "in 40 years it is done". You will try and try again and every time you fail, the next try will have a little more chance to work out... If for some reason you know that with your computer running 40 years, you will get the coin then every year you got 1 chance over 40 to get the coins...

So let's say there is 4000 bitcoin in this wallet and running your computer cost you 50 bitcoin per year, the maximum it'll cost you is 2000 bitcoins, and after only 10 years you will already have 25% chance to win some nice jackpot...

Note that if you run the computer 38 years without success then you will have success either the year 39 ( win ) or you will loose everything ( as the other computer will win). So this last year you SHOULD play, you will have one chance over 2!

The cost of mediation increases transaction costs, limiting the
minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions

Satoshi Nakamoto : https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: