Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:03:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: exchanges requiring photo ID??  (Read 4774 times)
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 06:08:35 AM

Its a pretty stupid way to do it though.

Any Tom Dick or Harry who wants to sell or use other people's identities merely has to claim the government insists people have to send them to him else he can't let them in on the awesome 7%/week business opportunity he is offering...

-MarkM-

PayPal wanted my photo-ID after many years of making e-bay purchase through them and keeping a cash balance.  They certainly made it sound like it was due to new government regulations.  This made me decide to finally quit them.  When I tried, their UI would't let me so I had to call.  The lady asked me my SSN and DOB which I spoke into the phone and then said that we are all golden now.  So PayPal at least is clearly asking for much more than they actually need (unless they consider a voice-print to be sufficient.)  I consider photo imagery and voice data to be bio-metric and jealously guard it from those who wish to put it into a database for any reason.

A big difference between PayPal and Mt. Gox is that PayPal would happily return all of my money if I did not comply.  They simply would not let me add more to my account.  Mt. Gox, OTOH, will freeze funds until they get the bio-metric info.  I consider this to be extortion and theft.  But it has not happened to me since I've never tried to get money out of them so I am only going by what I read on these forums (and of course most of it is from jaded customers.)

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2012, 08:04:52 AM

If anyone can find a solution to this problem, it will be worth a lot of money.

One solution is Local Bitcoins.

It is worth quite a bit of money to anyone who wants to make a market and there is significant population, like SoCal, NYC, etc. Plus, I think any brick and mortar stores could increase traffic by performing this service and it would not really cost anything extra.

reg

Activity: 463
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 08:07:41 AM

Yes the only way to expect to be able to cash out or in with privacy from government entities is in person.

yes I agree, we need to build a system different from the current regulatory one otherwise the advantage of anonymity is lost. Untill then the best way is a network of person to person transfers. Meet your local dealer contacted via a tor e-mail address at a local wifi hotspot. exchange BTC to fiat or fiat to BTC there and then -go home . You would expect to pay more than exchange rate for BTC and pay less than exchange rate for fiat  but it would work! reg.
localhost

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 02:05:32 PM

Yep, its coming to the point where the 'anonymous' sales pitch used to entice others to start using BTC will be an outright lie. (though it was never really anonymous without the proper precautions)
Indeed. Funding costs higher than Paypal, ID-checking worse than Paypal... Of course they can be traded from hand to hand against cash, but sadly that doesn't look too convenient for massive adoption...

A big difference between PayPal and Mt. Gox is that PayPal would happily return all of my money if I did not comply.  They simply would not let me add more to my account.  Mt. Gox, OTOH, will freeze funds until they get the bio-metric info.  I consider this to be extortion and theft.
Yup, Paypal are jackasses, but they're honest jackasses. They may return the money to the wrong person sometimes, too (in case of an abusively reversed transaction), or with a delay, but at least it seems that they do their best to return it to the right person, and that they don't make up excuses to keep it to themselves forever, unlike Gox. I mean, if you deposit, then don't want to provide biometric info, why wouldn't you be allowed to withdraw what you deposited?

-
st4rdust (OP)

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 06:59:00 PM

I did see that tier 0 on mtgox requires no photo ID to withdraw up to $1000 USD per day, but how exactly is that done? I know I can't use dwolla, which requires an ID no matter what. Anybody know the trick to exchanging BTC to USD without the ID bullshit?

If you should choose to pity me -14GLjCUE7ohxRLvwZD2sfjKjf22Lt3UHip
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2012, 09:36:45 PM

I did see that tier 0 on mtgox requires no photo ID to withdraw up to $1000 USD per day, but how exactly is that done? I know I can't use dwolla, which requires an ID no matter what. Anybody know the trick to exchanging BTC to USD without the ID bullshit?

The Russky exchange BTC-e? They trade litecoins, namecoins and rubles too.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 02:19:21 AM

Yeah, you just log into mtgox and use bank wires to cash out.

Buy & Hold
st4rdust (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 07:47:33 PM
Last edit: September 26, 2012, 08:07:59 PM by st4rdust

edit: I found the ABA/routing option for a US-based account. I'll see what the deal is with this option and if I can get away with a withdrawal without forking over an encyclopedia of my entire life's information, data, account and identification numbers, pictures, and favorite color in order to exchange BTCs for USD and transfer that into a bank account.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4489

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 10:29:23 PM
Last edit: September 26, 2012, 10:54:13 PM by franky1

requiring ID is one step forward in the removal of illegal activities and trying to gain some positive legal trading. which i am all for, bitcoin has had too much bad press lately.

the reason im for it: real world businesses wont adopt bitcoin as a payment method due to the bad press and ease of losing funds via illegitimate trades.

what should be done to get better press is have a service that you sign upto, give all of your identity too. and your awarrded a 'verified user' tag.
the other services will just know you at sign up time as 'legally verified person'. it will only become known of ur true identity to that other service if a fraud has been commited.

how it would run:
much like how websites are starting to offer 'sign up using facebook'. where facebook gathers all ur personal stuff and the other services just grab what they need. in this case a simple 'verified user' tag and a username.

then even the BTC OTC can use this to verify users etc.

worth someone giving it a try

it might be worth it. cos businesses might pay the service a small fee for veryifing users on their bahalf.

P.S i do understand silk road users desire for complete anonymity. which is where non verify requiring sign ups can continue, with slightly higher fee's for trading to cover losses. but for legitimate trading a verifying service can also have its place, giving users a lower trading fee due to less risk of fraud.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
st4rdust (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 03:17:03 AM
Last edit: September 27, 2012, 05:56:20 AM by st4rdust

edit: I found the ABA/routing option for a US-based account. I'll see what the deal is with this option and if I can get away with a withdrawal without forking over an encyclopedia of my entire life's information, data, account and identification numbers, pictures, and favorite color in order to exchange BTCs for USD and transfer that into a bank account.

Shit. It turns out that ABA transfers require a 2000 Yen transaction fee, roughly a $25 charge for every transfer. This is not good at all. That's too much of a chunk to make it worthwhile for myself and plenty of others I'm sure.

Does anybody know of any service aside from mtgox that offers relatively small-time users a free, or at least a nominal-fee exchange rate (ideally < 1%) and a relatively safe method of taking the currency exchanged from BTC and transferring it into a US-based bank account? I used to be able to exchange BTC to USD on mtgox for next to nothing, then mtgox to dwolla for either next to nothing, or nothing at all (can't remember exactly at this point  Huh) and then dwolla to bank account in 2 days flat, again for either next to nothing, or nothing at all. What I do remember is that what I lost in that process was, in total, absolutely negligible compared to the principle sum. All I ask now is a similar way to exchange my hard-earned BTC to either USD or some gold, silver or copper-based currency, basically anything that would be very liquid in its ability to become USD. Maybe I'm completely missing the boat here, but if somebody could fill me in, it would be greatly appreciated.

I've also considered skipping all the big-brother bullshit and going down the SR route, achieving my means and ends of BTC to USD (or any liquid asset) but as I've been out of the BTC scene for a few months now, as my previous posts have noted, I have unfortunately forgotten my way down that particular road. If anybody would be good enough to send a private message guiding my way back to a certain Silk territory, that would help me knock this issue out in one fell swoop.

Now, to those of you planning on replying with the advice that I should wait for a severe lightning storm to come along, grab my ankles, and hold my ass in the air in order to zap! and magically gain access, please spare me the agony and the ecstasy. Thomas Jefferson may have founded the great United States of America by flying model rockets with keys attached in thunderstorms, one of which got struck by lightning, the current of which rode the exhaust plume back down to Jefferson* and relayed the words of the Declaration of Independence directly to his brain, but I do not wish to go to these lengths to achieve access to that which I desire to gain access to. Plain and simple.

Again, many thanks to those with the patience to help me out in these matters. It will feel good to finally be back on my feet again and not a complete and total newb.

* Luckily for Jefferson, John Aaron was at the console on this fateful day and made the legendary call "Flight - try SCE to AUX" which luckily saved the day. This earned John Aaron the coveted designation of "the Steely-eyed Missile Man"

mp420

Activity: 501
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 05:09:48 AM

Money-laundering laws and other financial-services regulations.

Mt Gox does not require verification for limited withdrawals to UK bank accounts; for full verification they want both official ID and proof of address, such as a utility bill, where a financial-services bill is not accepted, apparently.

If they ever start requiring full verification for all withdrawals, including BTC, my money is going to be locked at MtGox forever. This is because I have only about $250 worth of money at MtGox and the cost of providing them an English language proof of residence is far higher than that. I get no utility bills in English and a notaried translation is very expensive where I live.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 11:28:29 AM

Now, to those of you planning on replying with the advice that I should wait for a severe lightning storm to come along, grab my ankles, and hold my ass in the air in order to zap! and magically gain access, please spare me the agony and the ecstasy. Thomas Jefferson may have founded the great United States of America by flying model rockets with keys attached in thunderstorms, one of which got struck by lightning, the current of which rode the exhaust plume back down to Jefferson* and relayed the words of the Declaration of Independence directly to his brain, but I do not wish to go to these lengths to achieve access to that which I desire to gain access to. Plain and simple.

Well Mr Stardust... it'd seem you already have access to some pretty awesome stuff.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
gyverlb

Activity: 896

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 12:10:04 PM

I may have missed it, but I didn't see bitcoin.de mentioned here. They don't store cash and thus don't have to make bank transfers. They act more like an intermediary with escrow service. This probably makes them free from some obligations like photo ID: bank transfers are done directly by users.

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
rjbtc

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 03:25:21 PM

What if someone where to offer a service where BTC could be sent to them, and they could then make a actual cash deposit at a local branch of the sender's bank?

I've paid rent this way before, when the landlord's bank was within walking distance instead of dropping it off, sending a check, or having them pick it up I just had his account number and made a cash deposit each month, with a receipt for proof of deposit.  Just off the top of my head, I have a TD Bank, Citizens, BofA, Chase, and a ton of local banks in less then a 5 min drive. If someone was willing to pay a fee to keep anonymous it could work. It would require a large amount of trust, and possibly a third party escrow, and would only work for smaller amounts but it's something.

Potentially faster than a wire transfer as well, it could be same day as cash deposits are available instantly.

Edit: I tend to let ideas run pretty wild in my head, but if this is something people would be interested in, I wouldn't mind setting something like this up.

BTC: 1AYWtqieXoQZnuT4iEk6MDEXBkdVd5BykN
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: