Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 05:45:55 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Wallet Questions  (Read 766 times)
Za1n (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 08:24:47 PM

So as I understand it, each public address that I see in my wallet is actually just way to credit coins to a private address. So if I had a wallet with a hypothetical 100 BTC in it, is it safer to store it all in 1 address or break it up into different addresses? Do I need different wallets or is just having several addresses more important?

I understand if my computer gets hacked, etc., I could lose it all, so it is safest to store on PC that is not used for other things. My question concerns more if the private address is compromised, would someone get all my coins or just what was on that private address?
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1353

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 08:28:06 PM

So as I understand it, each public address that I see in my wallet is actually just way to credit coins to a private address. So if I had a wallet with a hypothetical 100 BTC in it, is it safer to store it all in 1 address or break it up into different addresses? Do I need different wallets or is just having several addresses more important?

I understand if my computer gets hacked, etc., I could lose it all, so it is safest to store on PC that is not used for other things. My question concerns more if the private address is compromised, would someone get all my coins or just what was on that private address?

First question, it is advisable to keep your holdings into several offline addresses specially if it is of a large amount, though a single offline address in an offline machine coud also help you in keeping your precious bitcoins.

Second question, what do you mean by private address? Private keys? Kinda confused on this one.
Za1n (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 08:30:25 PM

First question, it is advisable to keep your holdings into several offline addresses specially if it is of a large amount, though a single offline address in an offline machine coud also help you in keeping your precious bitcoins.

Second question, what do you mean by private address? Private keys? Kinda confused on this one.

Yes, I meant private key I guess. So is it better spreading it out across different public address (private keys) was the question, which I think you answered with the first. Smiley
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3261

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 08:31:55 PM
Merited by Foxpup (3)

There is no such thing as a "private address" or "public address".

A bitcoin address has a "private key", which is used as its password. There is also a "public key" which people mistakenly use when they mean "bitcoin address".

Regardless of how many addresses you use, the wallet will keep track of them. You generally don't need to worry about individual addresses.

It might be safer to store bitcoins in several wallets, but the number of addresses is not important. Keeping a wallet offline makes it more difficult for hackers to access, but it also makes it more difficult you to use.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
dothebeats
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 08:34:14 PM

Yes, I meant private key I guess. So is it better spreading it out across different public address (private keys) was the question, which I think you answered with the first. Smiley

Different wallets aren't that necessary, different addresses may help you achieve what you really wanted to do (keeping your bicoins safe.) The most important thing you must know in keeping large chunks of bitcoins on a certain machine (because I'm really getting confused and it's 5 am here) is that never connect it to the internet. Keeping your coins on a machine that is connected to the internet has higher risks of getting compromised than a machine that is never connected to the internet.

I hope I answered your question already, because I got dizzy by just reading the questions. Sad
Za1n (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 08:38:07 PM

Ok, I guess now I am back to the confusion I had in the beginning. So the number of keys in a wallet does not matter, it is same risk if all credited to one key or spread across 10 keys on the same wallet?

My plan is to re-image an older laptop with an upgraded HD and use it only as a wallet. I would keep my bulk there and keep a smaller amount on my main PC. So my question boils down to is it sufficient to just place it all on one address in that new offline laptop?
Za1n (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 08:42:12 PM

Different wallets aren't that necessary, different addresses may help you achieve what you really wanted to do (keeping your bicoins safe.) The most important thing you must know in keeping large chunks of bitcoins on a certain machine (because I'm really getting confused and it's 5 am here) is that never connect it to the internet. Keeping your coins on a machine that is connected to the internet has higher risks of getting compromised than a machine that is never connected to the internet.

I hope I answered your question already, because I got dizzy by just reading the questions. Sad

Thanks for responding. I think you are getting dizzy as I do not know how to correctly ask my question. Smiley Just when I think I understand it, I find I don't...

So, do I need to sync up the wallet first or can I just put on a new Windows install on a new HD and install updates, etc. Then install the latest wallet version. unplug the Laptop from the Internet, fire it up, generate a new key (address) and then send money to it? How will I know it is there?
dothebeats
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 08:47:04 PM

Thanks for responding. I think you are getting dizzy as I do not know how to correctly ask my question. Smiley Just when I think I understand it, I find I don't...

So, do I need to sync up the wallet first or can I just put on a new Windows install on a new HD and install updates, etc. Then install the latest wallet version. unplug the Laptop from the Internet, fire it up, generate a new key (address) and then send money to it? How will I know it is there?

There is an import private key option for every wallet, that could probably help you "sweep" all the balances from one wallet to another. Smiley
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 01:01:52 AM

what's your goal? cold storage ?

Za1n (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 01:40:52 AM

what's your goal? cold storage ?

I guess it would be called cold storage. Basically just getting my long term coins off of my everyday computer.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 02:24:17 AM

well what you described is the right direction, just make sure that new machine is permanently unplugged from the Internet, and there's no other hard drives connected. 

once you move your coins you can simply check the balance of the address with any block explorer like blockchain.info without exposing your private keys.

ticoti

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 02:27:55 AM

in term of safety the only thing that matters it is how you keep safe your wallets no matter how you have distributed that bitcoins
lottery248
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1005

beware of your keys.

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 02:30:54 AM

1. spread to multiple address, not too many, and not just 2 to 3.
you need to spread because in order to prevent hackers can steal your wallet with all your coins if you only had 1 address.
too many addresses would be very complicated.

2. i guess you should use online wallet and set it up with a strong passwords, so that's it.

out of ability to use the signature, i want a new ban strike policy that will fade the strike after 90~120 days of the ban and not to be traced back, like google | email me for anything urgent, message will possibly not be instantly responded
i am not really active for some reason
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 07:50:17 AM

Ok, I guess now I am back to the confusion I had in the beginning. So the number of keys in a wallet does not matter, it is same risk if all credited to one key or spread across 10 keys on the same wallet?

My plan is to re-image an older laptop with an upgraded HD and use it only as a wallet. I would keep my bulk there and keep a smaller amount on my main PC. So my question boils down to is it sufficient to just place it all on one address in that new offline laptop?

yes it is sufficient, the point of the cold storage is that they should not be connected to the web ever, unless you know that your desktop is safe, you can knwo this by holding a small amount on it
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 08:54:51 AM

1. spread to multiple address, not too many, and not just 2 to 3.
you need to spread because in order to prevent hackers can steal your wallet with all your coins if you only had 1 address.
too many addresses would be very complicated.

2. i guess you should use online wallet and set it up with a strong passwords, so that's it.
Don't listen to ^this guy.

You are going in the right direction.
I don't really see the point in using different addresses if they are all on the same computer.
How do you know, they are there? I have my Bitcoin mainly in paper wallets and I wrote a little widget, that shows the balance of these addresses using the blockchain.info-API(nearly got an heart attack once, when blockchain.info was down and it showed 0 BTC Wink )

I am also wondering if Windows is the right choice as an OS, but since I use Paper wallets(I made using TAILS) I don't really know, what would be better.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 09:04:11 AM

I guess it would be called cold storage. Basically just getting my long term coins off of my everyday computer.

Yeah, you got it.
Keep your long term coins offline - preferably a paper wallet - which you can check occasionally if you wish through blockchain.info.
Za1n (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 03:54:49 PM

Thanks for the input. I know Windows probably isn't the safest option, but I do not know Linux well enough and would probably be more at risk do to my lack of knowledge with it.

I have had no trouble so far with my main desktop, I just want to be more cautious as my balance grows. I kind of look at it as my real $$ wallet has never been stolen off my nightstand, but that doesn't mean I would keep $1,000's of dollar in there, I would put larger sums in a safe or bank.

I am not sure about paper wallets, but for now I am thinking the dedicated laptop will be fine. I do not plan to use it other than when I would need to transfer the coins. It is old but functional, and I plan to buy a new SSD, so everything should be clean from the start.
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 03:58:24 PM

Thanks for the input. I know Windows probably isn't the safest option, but I do not know Linux well enough and would probably be more at risk do to my lack of knowledge with it.

I have had no trouble so far with my main desktop, I just want to be more cautious as my balance grows. I kind of look at it as my real $$ wallet has never been stolen off my nightstand, but that doesn't mean I would keep $1,000's of dollar in there, I would put larger sums in a safe or bank.

I am not sure about paper wallets, but for now I am thinking the dedicated laptop will be fine. I do not plan to use it other than when I would need to transfer the coins. It is old but functional, and I plan to buy a new SSD, so everything should be clean from the start.
You don't need a SSD for such a dedicated device. There is also the question of a backup since there is still a probability of a Hard Disk failure.
But again, there are other people, who can answer that question better than me.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
Za1n (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 04:54:06 PM

You don't need a SSD for such a dedicated device. There is also the question of a backup since there is still a probability of a Hard Disk failure.
But again, there are other people, who can answer that question better than me.

The main reason for a new SSD, other than to be sure it is clean (no virus, root kit, etc), is because the current HD is an older spinning disk and is very slow. Its space is also very limited. I can get a new 256 GB for around $100 so I am not too concerned. Plus this way it should be a bit more reliable going forward.

You bring up a good point about backup. Can I just back the wallet up to a USB stick, or maybe a couple? What are the best options and recommendations?

Thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: