Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 10:50:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin core, 2 systems.  (Read 904 times)
soy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 09:11:16 PM

I have Bitcoin Core on two systems.  One is synchronized the other still a few weeks behind.  I know I can copy the blockchain from one to a properly configured external drive then load the blockchain to the newer system using the command line switches.  But, can I add the complete system as a peer to the incomplete system?  It's only a few weeks behind but getting data slowly.  It will probably be complete by tomorrow morning regardless but just wondering.
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6720

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2015, 10:00:16 PM

I have Bitcoin Core on two systems.  One is synchronized the other still a few weeks behind.  I know I can copy the blockchain from one to a properly configured external drive then load the blockchain to the newer system using the command line switches.  But, can I add the complete system as a peer to the incomplete system?  It's only a few weeks behind but getting data slowly.  It will probably be complete by tomorrow morning regardless but just wondering.
You can start up the incomplete one with the flag
Code:
-addnode=<your other system's ip>
This will let it connect to your other one, although it may not download the blockchain from it.

soy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 10:26:59 PM

Code:
This will let it connect to your other one, although it may not download the blockchain from it.

If making the complete blockchain system a node and using said switch to add its ip as a node  to the not yet complete system, presently up to block 364402 Jul 8, 2015, why not?  Isn't that a node function?
achow101
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2015, 11:42:45 PM

Code:

If making the complete blockchain system a node and using said switch to add its ip as a node  to the not yet complete system, presently up to block 364402 Jul 8, 2015, why not?  Isn't that a node function?
If it connects to other nodes as well, it may download the blockchain from other nodes. To prevent it from connected elsewhere, use
Code:
-connect=<your other system's ip>
instead. -connect will make it only connect to the specified node(s).

soy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 12:06:44 AM

Code:

If it connects to other nodes as well, it may download the blockchain from other nodes. To prevent it from connected elsewhere, use
Code:
-connect=<your other system's ip>
instead. -connect will make it only connect to the specified node(s).

TY
soy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 06:18:23 PM

Both nodes on 192.168.1.0 and both have the other added, the one which is behind by only 50 blocks has 7 peers ping time n/a and the one node, my other system with a complete blockchain at 285ms.  The node with the completed blockchain lists 9 connections, all showing a ping time.  The nodes showing n/a in ping time aren't listed on the complete blockchain node.  Perhaps I should add those nodes to the incomplete node.
achow101
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2015, 06:22:39 PM

Both nodes on 192.168.1.0 and both have the other added, the one which is behind by only 50 blocks has 7 peers ping time n/a and the one node, my other system with a complete blockchain at 285ms.  The node with the completed blockchain lists 9 connections, all showing a ping time.  The nodes showing n/a in ping time aren't listed on the complete blockchain node.  Perhaps I should add those nodes to the incomplete node.

Did you use -connect or -addnode?

d4n13

Activity: 210
Merit: 101

“Create Your Decentralized Life”

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 10:20:39 PM

Since you didn't name your OS, I'll assume Windows.
Thread: HOWTO: Run Windows Bitcoin-Qt with Blockchain elsewhere
Transaction Rescue Bounty Campaign, ... Charitable Transaction Rescue Service

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: