Bitcoin Forum
July 29, 2024, 10:30:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin hacked questions  (Read 596 times)
fourcorners (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 03:56:40 AM

Does anyone else get tired of office mates coming to you every other month with smiles and their big news that "bitcoin was hacked"?  Usually they are talking about some individual case of a break in or security breach.  Then you have to spend half an hour explaining to them how bitcoin works again which is why your initial reaction was "that's highly unlikely".

Sometimes I fret over how difficult it can be to explain bitcoin, but then I remember how difficult it is to understand the regular monetary system as well.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2012, 04:32:38 AM

Just keep repeating: Bitcoins were stolen. Why? Because they have value. It's the same reason people steal dollars. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with dollars.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 05:05:30 AM

Usually they are talking about some individual case of a break in or security breach.  

Explain that if the specific incident they happened to have learned about means "Bticoin was hacked" then using the same logic one could make the claim from the photo below that  "Bank of America was hacked!"

Those were bills stolen in a robbery from a Bank of America.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

hmmmstrange

Activity: 669
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 05:57:29 AM

I'm sure that for every bitcoin "hacked" there are millions of USD hacked. Someone with some time to waste could come up with a more definitive number of USD "hacked".

hmmmstrange
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: