Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:25:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 500 BTC BOUNTY FOR OPENSOURCE BITSTREAM THAT IS FASTER THAN TML *STILL OPEN*  (Read 8550 times)
cablepair (OP)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2012, 12:42:37 AM
Last edit: October 07, 2012, 04:43:21 PM by cablepair

500 BTC BOUNTY OFFERED FOR OPEN SOURCE BITSTREAM THAT IS FASTER THAN TML

STILL OPEN

Requirements:

Must Make Each Spartan-6 Mine at a stable 250Mh/s or higher
Must be compatible with BFGMiner
MUST BE OPENSOURCE
Must work with ModMiner Quad before Bounty is paid

email tom@btcfpga.com

thanks! Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cablepair (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2012, 12:43:11 AM

reserved
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 12:56:02 AM

Definitely plan to implement in BFGMiner if possible.

TheSeven suggested the current code could be opened as-is including the signcryption private keys, to get things going immediately (miners could self-signcrypt), and leave removing the signcryption to later assuming it's non-trivial.

puffn

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 01:45:44 AM
Last edit: October 07, 2012, 05:03:56 PM by puffn

Snip

Looking for safe diversification? YABIF: Good Returns, Low Fees, Low Risk.

GLBSE
Bitcointalk Page

I hold significant interest in
Bitcoin Mining Investments
bitcowok

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 03:42:23 AM

I'd pitch in 10BTC
tnkflx

Activity: 349
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 07:53:20 AM

+10 BTC (all the rest is in ASIC Sad)

| Operating electrum.be & us.electrum.be |
purelithium

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 03:36:04 PM

I was actually thinking of making a bounty thread for this to get done for us MMQ owners. I don't have nearly the amount as the other pledges, but I'll put 4btc towards this.

Like my post? 1H7bfRYh7F89mfmFgsRCdn4awDaUHQmYqY
needbmw
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 04:03:24 PM

+10BTC for Icarus bitstream  Roll Eyes

NO PSAKING!
pyramining

Activity: 501
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 05:57:42 PM

I didn't do any calculation yet, but I would be happy to donate a reasonable amount if it gets an improovement over current hashrate. I'm running ~2000 FPGA on ZTex boards (~50 single, the rest quad). The only requirement is that the whole thing must be open-source, with no keys, sig, and various complications.
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2012, 05:58:59 PM
Last edit: September 24, 2012, 08:12:24 PM by eldentyrell

Myself and the other members of our team over at BTCFPGA have worked very hard as well over the last couple of days to try and make the ModMiner quad compatible with your Bitstream and we did have success doing this.

Well, this is the first I've heard of this.  Is TheSeven the one doing this?  He's who I've been emailing back and forth with.  As of yesterday he wasn't quite there yet, so I assume this has just happened in the last 24 hours.

It would have been nice if you had sent me a simple email before posting this "open letter" to the forums.  I'm quite happy to discuss this stuff in a reasonable way.  You and I seem to have lost contact two or three weeks ago although I've been corresponding regularly with TheSeven since then.

We were able to create a driver that would allow a MMQ to connect to your server, receive your Bitstream and we have had them able to mine at over 1Gh/s.

Great news!  Your customers should appreciate the 25% performance boost.

with our own testing we are seeing very high amounts of stales from your signing servers,

Well, first off, the signing servers don't send you stales.  They send you signed work.  Your pool or bitcoind is what declares submitted shares to be stale.

I get under 1% stales, so it can't be the signcryption.  If you enable the telnet status monitor (use -Dstatus_port=X and telnet to localhost:X) it will show you the breakdown of how much hashpower is wasted waiting for responses from the signcryption server vs. waiting for the pool vs. work rejected without a longpoll ("unavoidable stales").  You can tune the amount of pipelining used; the default is to always have at least one job pre-signed and ready to load.  With this setting I see 0.05% of my hashpower wasted on signcryption delays.

The image below shows a sample screenshot of the status monitor.  Each row is a board, each group of three cyan numbers is a chip, each of those three numbers is a ring, and the number is the clock frequency at which the ring is running.  If you hit "enter" it will cycle through clock-rate/error-rate/accept-rate on a per-ring basis.  The bottom line always displays the cluster-wide statistics.  The screenshot below is from my testing cluster which consists of the 12 poorest-performing chips out of the batch (one died):

FWIW choice of pool does matter.  I have done 95% of my mining with Eligius, but recently (last four weeks or so) I've found that with EclipseMC and BTCGuild I get under 0.25% stales; I'm not entirely sure why this is.  X-Roll-Nonce helps a lot (which is why I favor EclipseMC over BTCGuild).

Also keep in mind that the TML host software will always submit a share, even if it knows in advance that the share is stale (due to a longpoll, a reject of another share with the same prevblock, or because the miner was working on stale work while waiting for the pool to return a new job).  So you should expect to see a surge of stales every time a block is found.  The "accept" number is what matters when comparing against other implementations.  The "stales" number in the screenshot above will fluctuate a LOT over a 5 minute window; for more accurate measurement of stales, use something like -Drecent_history_len=3600000 which will use a 1-hour window.

The mining software is very primitive

Ur…. I really need to resist the urge to get into an argument here.  In the aspects that affect performance it is more sophisticated than the other getwork-management (aka "mining host software") systems out there.  It carefully tracks each millisecond that a board spends without work to do (or with stale work) and "charges" those milliseconds to the appropriate cause (getwork from pool, signcryption, resetting board due to error, etc) which is where those detailed statistics above come from.  The clock calibration is at a 1mhz granularity and the software finds the optimal frequency using logarithmic regression, something no other mining software does.  And the mining software produces nifty charts which are essential for troubleshooting cooling problems (or overvolting, if you're into that, but I don't advise it).

Maybe you're having problems because you've been using it for less than a day?  It also might have something to do with the fact that one of the most popular and quite excellent miners "mpbm" happens to be written by the same guy who wrote the TML's ModMiner driver for you. Smiley  There have been many reports of excellent resuts on other boards; see the "confirmed" links on this page.

I will personally guarantee a Donation of 200 BTC from my own personal funds, plus another 200 BTC from the profits of ModMiner Quad sales to increase the profitability for the customers who have purchased them.

I appreciate your generous offer, but unfortunately I must decline.

The TML is already available, today, for your customers to use.  There are no commissions until at least 07-Oct.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
cablepair (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 02:11:46 AM

Can't say that I didnt try.

I have a great deal of respect for you for what you have created here, but please dont pretend like you dont know who I am and who my team is we have tried countless times to initiate contact through email (which you say you prefer) as well as your own forum thread and on IRC - and I have tried numeours times to set up some way to work together with you. listen I don't want to offend you, but the truth is I am 100% sure you will never make 400 btc worth of commissions from this and this bitstream will never have the impact it could potentially have if you just open source it. However I can see it would not make a difference if I offered you a million Bitcoins and had Satoshi himself write the mining software.

So Thanks for at least taking the time to respond to this post, it will really suck to see your bitstream become obsolete and fall into obscurity before it's ever really even utilized, but this is what is going to happen.

take care

Tom
BTCFPGA.com

eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 04:57:46 AM

but please dont pretend like you dont know who I am and who my team is

Huh

we have tried countless times to initiate contact through email (which you say you prefer)

And you have succeded!  I answered all of your emails promptly, including at least eight from TheSeven full of technical questions.  Seriously, is this a complaint?

and I have tried numeours times to set up some way to work together with you.

What exactly does this mean?  You made me an offer and I declined it… please don't be offended by that.  But your latest posting is full of vague stuff like this.  Could you be more specific?  What are you unhappy about aside from the fact that I declined your offer?  If that's all it is, just say so...

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
Inspector 2211

Activity: 448

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 05:17:21 AM

I have not done any business with either cablepair nor eldentyrell, thus the following represents an outside, hopefully somewhat objective, point of view:

Mr. C manufactures and sells hardware without making sure that adequate software is available.

Mr. E creates very fast software for a large number of, but not necessarily all, platforms. Mr. C's hardware platform happens to be one of the few unsupported ones.

Mr. C makes Mr. E an offer to extend his platform support to Mr. C's platform, but Mr. E declines the offer.

Mr. C is now pissed off.

My recommendations:
1. Mr. C, suck it up and grow a pair.
2. Mr. C and Mr. E, please realize that FPGA miners will be made obsolete by ASIC miners in a matter of weeks, thus both of your efforts, while admirable, will soon be but a footnote in the history of Bitcoin mining.

▄█▄
            ▄█ ▀█▀
     ▄ ▄███▄▄████▄▀ ▄▄▀▄
    ▀█▄████
██████▀▄█████▀▄▀
   ▄█▀▄
███████████████████▄
 ▄██▀█▀
▀▀▀███▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▀█▀▄
 ▄█▀▀   ▀█
███▀▄████████ █▀█▄▄
██▀  ▀ ▀ ▀
██████████▄   ▄▀▀█▄
     ▀ ▀
  ███▀▀▀▀▀████▌ ▄  ▀
          ████████████▌   █
        █████████████▀
        ▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀
           ▀▀  ▀▀
BTC-GREEN       ▄▄████████▄▄
    ▄██████████████▄
  ▄██████
██████████████▄
 ▄███
███████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
 ▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
    ▀█████████████████
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
Ecological Community in the Green Planet
❱❱❱❱❱❱     WHITEPAGE   |   ANN THREAD     ❰❰❰❰❰❰
           ▄███▄▄
       ▄▄█████████▄
      ▄████████████▌
   ▄█████████████▄▄
 ▄████████████████████
███████████████▄
▄████████████████████▀
███████████████████████▀
 ▀▀██████▀██▌██████▀
   ▀██▀▀▀  ██  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
           ██
           ██▌
          ▐███▄
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 06:03:05 AM

I have not done any business with either cablepair nor eldentyrell, thus the following represents an outside, hopefully somewhat objective, point of view:

Mr. C manufactures and sells hardware without making sure that adequate software is available.

Mr. E creates very fast software for a large number of, but not necessarily all, platforms. Mr. C's hardware platform happens to be one of the few unsupported ones.

Mr. C makes Mr. E an offer to extend his platform support to Mr. C's platform, but Mr. E declines the offer.

Mr. C is now pissed off.

My recommendations:
1. Mr. C, suck it up and grow a pair.
2. Mr. C and Mr. E, please realize that FPGA miners will be made obsolete by ASIC miners in a matter of weeks, thus both of your efforts, while admirable, will soon be but a footnote in the history of Bitcoin mining.
I like how you used pseudonymous, but its not like everyone knows who Mr. C and Mr. E are.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Inspector 2211

Activity: 448

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 07:39:33 AM

Take a wild guess.

Cablepair
Eldentyrell

▄█▄
            ▄█ ▀█▀
     ▄ ▄███▄▄████▄▀ ▄▄▀▄
    ▀█▄████
██████▀▄█████▀▄▀
   ▄█▀▄
███████████████████▄
 ▄██▀█▀
▀▀▀███▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▀█▀▄
 ▄█▀▀   ▀█
███▀▄████████ █▀█▄▄
██▀  ▀ ▀ ▀
██████████▄   ▄▀▀█▄
     ▀ ▀
  ███▀▀▀▀▀████▌ ▄  ▀
          ████████████▌   █
        █████████████▀
        ▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀
           ▀▀  ▀▀
BTC-GREEN       ▄▄████████▄▄
    ▄██████████████▄
  ▄██████
██████████████▄
 ▄███
███████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
 ▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
    ▀█████████████████
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
Ecological Community in the Green Planet
❱❱❱❱❱❱     WHITEPAGE   |   ANN THREAD     ❰❰❰❰❰❰
           ▄███▄▄
       ▄▄█████████▄
      ▄████████████▌
   ▄█████████████▄▄
 ▄████████████████████
███████████████▄
▄████████████████████▀
███████████████████████▀
 ▀▀██████▀██▌██████▀
   ▀██▀▀▀  ██  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
           ██
           ██▌
          ▐███▄
cablepair (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 12:21:19 PM

yes my post last night, I was obviously pouting that I did not get my own way Sad ...

and I apologize to any ego's that were bruised during this experiment! Tongue

it just sucks not to get your own way after you kiss someone's ass so thoroughly.

oh well....

like I said - I tried.

Smiley
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 12:24:01 PM

FWIW, someone else is considering writing an equivalent bitstream from scratch if that bounty is open to others Wink

cablepair (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 12:29:56 PM

FWIW, someone else is considering writing an equivalent bitstream from scratch if that bounty is open to others Wink

cool!
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 12:45:17 PM

Re the revised bounty: should clarify if the goal is TLM speeds before or after the future-fee is taken out.

vitruvio

Activity: 850
Merit: 331

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 03:21:16 PM

400 BTC BOUNTY OFFERED FOR OPEN SOURCE BITSTREAM THAT IS FASTER THAN TLM

Requirements:

Must make each spartan-6 at least as fast as TLM
Must be compatible with all mining softwares
MUST BE OPENSOURCE
Must work with MMQ before Bounty is paid

email tom@btcfpga.com

thanks! Smiley

I think the trick wasn't successfully, you use good words, like open source, contribute to the bitcoin community, etc, all in a public letter to force eldentyrell to accpept it or to seems an ungrateful. Having to thank you a donation of 200BTC, and now we face the truth, the was a hiding purpose, bussiness.

Now you pay the double for anyone to make the same or better job? A wolf under the skin of a lamb, maybe this algorithm that make your fpga get a 25% more of hash power can do your bASICS get better performance compared to the competence?

Money talks
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: