Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 10:37:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Good post' - feature  (Read 2009 times)
Herodes (OP)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 02:21:43 AM

In some other forums, I've seen a feature where if some users like a particular post of one user, you could click on 'thumbs up', 'karma' or something similar, and it goes into a list of 'good posts' for that user. Also it could increase the karma counter of one user.

It's often valuable to have a look at such posts for particular users. Also it's great for some users to see their posts are valued.

So in short:

For all posts, there could be a link: "Vote for this post".

And on each users profile there could be a link called 'view karma posts'.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 04:59:34 PM

It could be arranged in a way such that only very established members' votes would count (analogously to the Ignore button).

Signature space available for rent.
Fjordbit

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2012, 05:06:39 PM
Last edit: September 24, 2012, 05:21:28 PM by Fjordbit

In some other forums, I've seen a feature where if some users like a particular post of one user, you could click on 'thumbs up', 'karma' or something similar, and it goes into a list of 'good posts' for that user. Also it could increase the karma counter of one user.

It's often valuable to have a look at such posts for particular users. Also it's great for some users to see their posts are valued.

So in short:

For all posts, there could be a link: "Vote for this post".

And on each users profile there could be a link called 'view karma posts'.

I really don't want a karma system, but I would like a way of saying +1 without gumming up the thread.

Edit: the reason is that without active heavy moderation it incentivizes spam and memes over content. Look at Reddit for an example (note Reddit has good parts, but only where there is heavy moderation, or groups so small that spam isn't worth it).
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 05:08:51 AM

I've often wished for a Reddit-like up/down vote system for posts.

I can't see the harm in allowing established users to participate in a karma system.

Fjordbit

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 07:33:17 AM

your not serious, reddit is the hive for trolling the karma, I have seen great articles on reddit get down voted all way to hell and beyond. I don't have a reddit account but I do browse.

I agree with you (see above) about the problems a karma system brings to reddit.

You can't reasonably use reddit without an account. Once you get an account, you should unsubscribe from all of the default reddits, and find smaller replacements, and ones tailored to your specific hobbies. The main subreddits have too many people all clamoring to out-impress each others. It becomes lowest common denominator junk.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 01:46:01 PM

Selling "good post" ratings for BTC. Contact me for rates.
Herodes (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 06:35:25 PM

The reason I think such a feature could be interesting, is because I could for instance look at Gavins profile, and then see his 'honour'-posts, ie. those of his posts with the most positive points. I would think only posts that have actual and good content would be at the top of the list.

Also other forums have limitations as to who can give karma, and how often it can be given. For instance, only users with more than 500 posts can give out 'karma', and there could be a limitation to giving one karma point pr. hour for instance.

I don't see how sock puppets would ruin such a system, but the forums I've seen this at work in, has been smaller than this one, so I don't know.

It's a bit annoying with someone quoting an entire post and just writing +1. Then it would be better to just have a +1 button someone could click, then one could have a look at a dropdown text box if one wanted to see who gave a +1 to the post.

To avoid spamming behaviour, perhaps the forum could have a feature whereas users who wanted to participate in this scheme had to deposit at least 1BTC, and 1 BTC was worth a 100 or a 1000 +1's. Then all users with less than 500 posts and less than 1 BTC in their forum account would be unable to +1.
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 07:31:39 PM

To avoid spamming behaviour, perhaps the forum could have a feature whereas users who wanted to participate in this scheme had to deposit at least 1BTC, and 1 BTC was worth a 100 or a 1000 +1's. Then all users with less than 500 posts and less than 1 BTC in their forum account would be unable to +1.

This idea actually sounds reasonable; eg: 1 BTC buys you 1000 Karma to dole out to users, in an effort to dissuade gaming the system, and I'm sure the forum owners would appreciate the possible revenue stream.

With respect to the Reddit voting parallel, I wasn't meaning up/downvotes for post promotion, but more tied to specific user posts.

You would up/down vote a user for a particular post they made. The more helpful users would hopefully have nice positive karma, and trolls or people who don't add substance would hopefully have low or negative karma.

Right now, it's impossible to gauge the quality of a poster, and we can only see if they are a prolific poster or not.

A user karma system, IMO, would help to build more of a sense of community and "at-a-glance" let us know how a user is perceived within the community by their Karma.

I recognize that Reddit has it's problems with vote gaming for post popularity, but I was thinking of not using that system for post promotion, and instead to be used as a tool to allow helpful users to have some "formal" gravitas.
Herodes (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 08:10:27 PM

My proposal was not to make any posts stand out, as in upvoting or downvoting on reddit.

It would merely work the way that every user had a 'good-post'-rating to their name. And by clicking on it, you could see their 'good-posts'.

The system could be called anything really, karma, +1, good-posts, whatever. It's the way I think it would work that's the core issue here.

For example, I have hundreds of posts, some of these are gold, others are crap. If users were allowed to give me a +1 for my good posts,
then other users could see I had +150 to my name, and by clicking on that number, they would see my posts.

Perhaps I made a really good post, where I used a couple of hours to dig up info. This would be a valuable post, so perhaps I received 20 +1's,
thus, this would be at the top of my list of 'useful posts' if someone chose to view that list arranged with the most upvoted posts at the top.

Also it would give a more community sense, as people would feel good about having their posts +1'ed.

I don't think there should be a -1 button though, as this would possibly lead to a lot of unnecessary conflicts, as not everyone reacts very mature to critisism.
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 04:33:07 PM

This idea actually sounds reasonable; eg: 1 BTC buys you 1000 Karma to dole out to users, in an effort to dissuade gaming the system, and I'm sure the forum owners would appreciate the possible revenue stream.

With respect to the Reddit voting parallel, I wasn't meaning up/downvotes for post promotion, but more tied to specific user posts.

You would up/down vote a user for a particular post they made. The more helpful users would hopefully have nice positive karma, and trolls or people who don't add substance would hopefully have low or negative karma.

Right now, it's impossible to gauge the quality of a poster, and we can only see if they are a prolific poster or not.

A user karma system, IMO, would help to build more of a sense of community and "at-a-glance" let us know how a user is perceived within the community by their Karma.

I recognize that Reddit has it's problems with vote gaming for post popularity, but I was thinking of not using that system for post promotion, and instead to be used as a tool to allow helpful users to have some "formal" gravitas.

this is a very good idea.

A very elegant way for the forum to make money!   THEYMOS!

With respect to the bad experience we had with the karma system on this board I request to only allow upvoting.

It would be interesting to be able to vote on posts but also see someones overall karma.

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 05:29:32 PM

No this is a horrible idea, because then you could as a hypothetical company offering hardware to be delivered somewhen in the future... (*cough*) go ahead, buy a few thousand votes and downvote everyone who begins to ask legitimate questions about valid concerns.

"Seems the users don't agree with your troll questions. Stop FUDing already." *smugface*
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12985

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 05:35:54 PM

I don't want any sort of global rating feature on the forum. Reddit is nice sometimes, but the global rating system promotes groupthink and discourages controversial posts and long posts. A web-of-trust-style rating system would be good.

The forum has enough money.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 12:36:32 AM

I don't want any sort of global rating feature on the forum. Reddit is nice sometimes, but the global rating system promotes groupthink and discourages controversial posts and long posts. A web-of-trust-style rating system would be good.

What about a rating feature that doesn't affect the user, only the post? For example, each post has a upvote/downvote button (downvote button optional). To prevent exploitation, a user could be given a quota of one vote per hour logged on or per 5 posts (or both, or some other metric). A "Best Recent Posts" page and a "All Time Best" page could be added.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 12:48:40 AM

What about a rating feature that doesn't affect the user, only the post? For example, each post has a upvote/downvote button (downvote button optional). To prevent exploitation, a user could be given a quota of one vote per hour logged on or per 5 posts (or both, or some other metric). A "Best Recent Posts" page and a "All Time Best" page could be added.

That's no better IMO. Still a global rating.

Herodes (OP)

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 01:09:42 AM

No this is a horrible idea, because then you could as a hypothetical company offering hardware to be delivered somewhen in the future... (*cough*) go ahead, buy a few thousand votes and downvote everyone who begins to ask legitimate questions about valid concerns.

"Seems the users don't agree with your troll questions. Stop FUDing already." *smugface*

I think the system should be used for 'informative' posts that has vaulable information. I'm not sure if we should have such a feature in any subsection that merely has commercial offers. The point is to float good information to the top, not to make it as a vehicle for spammers to upvote certain offers.

I'm not sure if I suck at explaining my ideas or if any of the other posters in this thread hijacked the original proposal. So let me briefly reiterate:

Some users have insightful and valuable posts at time. Looking at their posting history, you have to wade through hundreds of posts to find their 'best posts'.

So, if there was a feature to give credit to a certain post. For instance theymos uses a lot of resources to explain a certain feature with the forum, in a
very good and informative posts, a lot of forum users would find that post interesting and valuable, thus they would give it karma,+1,credit or whatever we'd
call it.

Then, looking at theymos' 'credit posts', we could see that the announcement from xx.xx of 2012 received 30 credits, and is thus the first post on his 'credit
post list'.

Likewise, If i wanted to see which of Gavin's posts have received 'thumbs up', I could see a list of that.

So basically the purpose of the feature would be to make valuable information more readily available. I don't see the huge potential for misuse with this
system.

There could be some measures in place to ensure less gaming of the system, like requiring 500 posts before it's allowed to '+1' a post, and only allow a user
to give '+1' once an hour for instance.

It's annoying with all '+1' posts in the forum. So it could rather be a link under each post (See all who gave +1 to this post), and then those +1's accumulating
into a 'credit post list' for the user, which is accessible in his profile.

I'm not talking about a reddit style upvote/downvote system, but rather an outright +1/credit/karma system. I think someone else could give it a better name.
The +1's should only be given to really valuable posts, for example the first post here by bitrick: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=41718.0

Such a post, would receive a lot of +1's, and then that post would float to the top of bitrick's 'good post list'.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 01:51:11 AM

That'd be OK, though it's not a high priority.

One of the optional features in the specification for new forum software is a "thanks" button which could be used like that.

Serenata

Activity: 250
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 05:54:45 AM

I like Herodes' idea. What I'd like to add as a proposal is to evaluate a member's registration date in addition to post count before giving them the right to +1. Six months or so would be OK I guess to avoid puppets spamming around to reach 500 posts.

BitcoinX.gr - To ελληνικό στέκι τoυ Bitcoin

My GPG Key
Herodes (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 02:30:30 PM

I like Herodes' idea. What I'd like to add as a proposal is to evaluate a member's registration date in addition to post count before giving them the right to +1. Six months or so would be OK I guess to avoid puppets spamming around to reach 500 posts.

+1
Herodes (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 02:32:13 PM

One of the optional features in the specification for new forum software is a "thanks" button which could be used like that.

sure. thanks. Smiley
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 02:48:09 PM

There were quite a few offers to write new forum software, I may know someone myself who could do what is required but I'm not sure on what stage we are here? Did you turn down all of the previous offers (if so, why? I don't believe no one was competent enough...) or has someone already started working on it?

Signature space available for rent.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: