Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 11:11:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Money Sucks  (Read 699 times)
Garr255 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 03:33:05 AM

With all the hate being spread around on the forums alone, one could simply conclude that money in itself sucks.

Money is the cause of almost ALL disputes around the world. But a valid argument against this is that we need money in order to have a sustainable economy.
Sure, there would be much less "progress" without money, but really where are we going as a species? The average quality of life is plummeting... I'm just glad I was born when I was rather than later.

BTW, I'm not saying money sucks because it has been a problem in my life -- it hasn't. Money is a self-imposed problem for all of us, in that we can never seem to attain enough of it. I suppose there is no "happy medium" in existence when it comes to money, therefore I don't know what I'm arguing here (yet). Hopefully we as a society of humans will find a better way to live before things continue getting exponentially worse.

I could go on with my beliefs of devolution and the like, but I'm going to go do something that will make me some money. Yes, I am a human therefore a greedy hypocrite, although I try my best not to be.

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 03:40:42 AM

With all the hate being spread around on the forums alone, one could simply conclude that money in itself sucks.

Money is the cause of almost ALL disputes around the world. But a valid argument against this is that we need money in order to have a sustainable economy.
Sure, there would be much less "progress" without money, but really where are we going as a species? The average quality of life is plummeting... I'm just glad I was born when I was rather than later.

BTW, I'm not saying money sucks because it has been a problem in my life -- it hasn't. Money is a self-imposed problem for all of us, in that we can never seem to attain enough of it. I suppose there is no "happy medium" in existence when it comes to money, therefore I don't know what I'm arguing here (yet). Hopefully we as a society of humans will find a better way to live before things continue getting exponentially worse.

I could go on with my beliefs of devolution and the like, but I'm going to go do something that will make me some money. Yes, I am a human therefore a greedy hypocrite, although I try my best not to be.

no... greed sucks.

There are lots of instances where the fight over money is rooted within a disagreement about what is a fair deal is. That is a problem independent of the money system. It's a problem of finding a consensus and a fair compensation. Ultimately the money system mirrors the scarcity of resources. That's also the reason why limited money supply is important (on the scale of a human life).

ADDENDUM: The connection between money and scarcity of resources is a real problem for products which have no associated cost of replication by the way! E.g. it's hard to establish a fair price for music or digital art.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
Garr255 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 938

What's a GPU?

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 04:09:24 AM

I read:
no... greed sucks.
And that's all it took to make me realize that greed is indeed what causes all of the thinks I said in the OP...

So yes, greed does indeed suck, and its how we incorporate money into greed so heavily that got me to switch the terms around.

"And I think to myself... What a corrupted world..."

But no, this world is amazing. Its the people living on it that make it terrible.

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 04:23:58 AM

I read:
no... greed sucks.
And that's all it took to make me realize that greed is indeed what causes all of the thinks I said in the OP...

So yes, greed does indeed suck, and its how we incorporate money into greed so heavily that got me to switch the terms around.

"And I think to myself... What a corrupted world..."

But no, this world is amazing. Its the people living on it that make it terrible.

We're creatures of nature. It often takes longer than a lifetime to transform the selfish need for accumulation of power into a habit of maximizing overall happiness. And even that is flawed, because nobody agrees on what maximizes overall happiness.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
wong RAP

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 12:16:36 AM

If the human race focused more on the development of the race than money we would be fine. We've all become a bunch of brain dead (Don't worry me to) zombies only caring about money to obtain crap we do not need. Sure we wouldn't have technology like we do right now but humans would've gotten it at some point just not in mass production and would be put to better uses than fucking angry birds.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: