Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 11:33:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation funds Bitsoko, promotes BTC literacy in Kenya  (Read 1109 times)
neurotypical (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 12:44:34 PM

http://www.coinfox.info/news/2408-bitsoko

Seems like Bill Gates finally went from "Bitcoin is good, but not good enough" to fully embracing it. Im glad people slowly come to their senses and deal with the fact Bitcoin is indeed good enough.
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2015, 12:52:30 PM

Since he's only promoting it in Kenya it tells you he's being careful with putting himself out there. It completely makes sense though, with so many unbanked, it would benefit them greatly to have bitcoin literacy. You don't see him promoting BTC literacy in the USA, Canada or UK.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 02:06:36 PM

he admitted that it's the best solution to help people in those poor country, africa does need something that can help them from the outside like bitcoin

they also talking about banned bitcoin website in russia, i'm surprised that there are still website that are banned in russia, they said that they were going to unban it...
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 02:10:00 PM

Seems like Bill Gates finally went from "Bitcoin is good, but not good enough" to fully embracing it. Im glad people slowly come to their senses and deal with the fact Bitcoin is indeed good enough.

That doesn't mean he changed his opinion on the subject. When he said that he certainly meant it's not good for the future, as in, it's not certain Bitcoin will be as useful as it is now in 50 years. Otherwise Microsoft wouldn't probably accept Bitcoin Tongue

As for the news, always good when poor, isolated people are empowered in many different ways.
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 02:13:09 PM

he admitted that it's the best solution to help people in those poor country, africa does need something that can help them from the outside like bitcoin

they also talking about banned bitcoin website in russia, i'm surprised that there are still website that are banned in russia, they said that they were going to unban it...
I am quite surprised that Bill admitted his Bitcoin Love so openly. Also it's surprising that he thinks bitcoin is ideal solution for underdeveloped countries.
I am under the impression that bitcoin without internet is somewhat not good enough.
Falconer
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 1126

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 02:21:06 PM

Although there were crime news that related to bitcoin, we hope a famous figure who is developing bitcoin like Bill Gates will change people perception about bitcoin, even the government, so there is no more bitcoin banned country in the world. I'm jealous to Kenya that can develop bitcoin rapidly there, good luck for Africa.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 02:25:10 PM

That doesn't mean he changed his opinion on the subject. When he said that he certainly meant it's not good for the future, as in, it's not certain Bitcoin will be as useful as it is now in 50 years. Otherwise Microsoft wouldn't probably accept Bitcoin Tongue

As for the news, always good when poor, isolated people are empowered in many different ways.

Well who the hell knows what will be useful in 50 years. Also, has he even proposed a better solution than what Bitcoin offers? I dont think so, therefore Bitcoin is good enough and when he said "it isn't good enough" he was wrong.
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2015, 02:30:38 PM

Seems like Bill Gates finally went from "Bitcoin is good, but not good enough" to fully embracing it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
deon

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2015, 02:38:46 PM

That is pretty cool.  I think Bill and Melinda Gates are really into making the world a better place.  Opposed to the Bill Gates from Microsoft's early days. 

This could help Africa become more technologically advanced.  I view Bitcoin like NASA.  It gets people interested in Technology and creativity takes off.
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 02:46:09 PM

them denying the greatness of bitcoin is just for publicity or maybe other reasons Wink but never doubt that they didn't know about if bitcoin is good or not and just realized it!
this is so obvious that they don't wanna be left out.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
xmasdobo

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 03:15:28 PM

Seems like Bill Gates finally went from "Bitcoin is good, but not good enough" to fully embracing it.

Do you think Bill Gates wants to extinguish BTC? what would he gain from doing so? creating his own microcoin? I dont see it.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2015, 03:27:16 PM

thanks Wences  Cheesy

Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 03:28:55 PM

Billy boy Gates actually called BTC a "technological tour de force".
I tad different from "bitcoin is good"
He's been pro BTC for a while dude.
Just saying.
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2015, 03:33:07 PM

Do you think Bill Gates wants to extinguish BTC? what would he gain from doing so? creating his own microcoin? I dont see it.

I would take the Gates' involvement with a grain of salt. They repeatedly said they want such a digital currency to be "not anonymous", i.e. they want something proprietary; maybe for now they Bitcoin as a stepping stone or a way to prepare people for such a system.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 03:35:43 PM

I would take the Gates' involvement with a grain of salt. They repeatedly said they want such a digital currency to be "not anonymous", i.e. they want something proprietary; maybe for now they Bitcoin as a stepping stone or a way to prepare people for such a system.

Grow up dude. BITCOIN is not anonymous and wont ever be. This is how the real world works. If you're still hoping the regulation wont kick in and you'll be able to hide with ur btc forever, you might as well sell now and move on.
bronan

Activity: 774
Merit: 500

Lazy Lurker Reads Alot

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 03:36:40 PM

Tell me what good will it do in a country which hardly has internet ...
I see no benefit at all, besides a few for the wealthy people in africa it does not change much, it makes it easier for them rich ones to get funds out of the country... That can bitcoin do very well.
Untill i have seen what this so called good cause does i am not convinced at all
He never said bitcoin is good, as i read his posts he kinda says bitcoin is not the solution for the future.
trace666

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 03:44:46 PM

Whether or not Bill Gates himself is an open proponent of Bitcoin, this remains quite good news.
goosoodude

Activity: 584
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 01:12:58 PM

Bill Gates finally is doing some thing that doesn't help him and his businesses? Is there a twist to it that will lead to more microsoft versions sold?

Anyway... i wonder how it will turn out since when everyone there knows that the neighbour is running around with a smartphone full of money then i wonder how people will behave.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 01:22:56 PM

It's good news to hear that such globally influential person accepts and promotes bitcoin, even if it happens in Africa only.
But, I don't understand why Bill Gates choose Africa for such promotion activity.
He must be aware about infrastructure problems in Africa, and that many people still live there without Internet and electricity, so bitcoin is still not a solution for the masses.
If Gates really wants to help people in Africa, he should first help with basic infrastructure problems there and then promote bitcoin to the masses.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
Tarantino

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 01:27:40 PM

Grow up dude. BITCOIN is not anonymous and wont ever be. This is how the real world works. If you're still hoping the regulation wont kick in and you'll be able to hide with ur btc forever, you might as well sell now and move on.

Didn't he say that's what Bill Gates wanted? He seems to have changed his tune regardless. I think any big name businessman like Gates or even Branson is all good for btc regardless of what they want from it.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: