Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 12:11:26 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: As the oldest miner in the forum, I declare...  (Read 10016 times)
squid

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 08:55:12 PM

None of my comments were driven by sexism or misogyny in ANY form. My comments were made calling out a bullsh*t artist on their bullsh*t.

I singled out your comment because it best articulated the general sentiment of this thread, not because it was particularly sexist. I stand by my statement that your comment would be very offensive to transgendered persons.

Because anonymous internet forums are the epitome of political correctness.
c4n10

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 09:01:00 PM

None of my comments were driven by sexism or misogyny in ANY form. My comments were made calling out a bullsh*t artist on their bullsh*t.

I singled out your comment because it best articulated the general sentiment of this thread, not because it was particularly sexist. I stand by my statement that your comment would be very offensive to transgendered persons.

And I stand by my statement that my comments in this thread are not made with sexist and/or misogynistic intent, in fact I don't think anyone's comments in this thread had sexist or misogynistic implications.

I recommend "witch hunting" elsewhere...
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 10:35:50 PM

And I stand by my statement that my comments in this thread are not made with sexist and/or misogynistic intent, in fact I don't think anyone's comments in this thread had sexist or misogynistic implications.

Of course not. Most people in this thread don't seem to accept that "Maria" is a woman. If is hard to be misogynistic if you don't believe the target of your ridicule is a woman.

I think transphobia may better describe the gender-specific comments in this thread.

I will accept that maybe most people don't find "Maria" very credible. That does not fully explain why the thread turned nasty so quickly.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
Kontakt

Activity: 266

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 10:39:17 PM

It got nasty because Maria didn't back down, and acted like a prick without providing anything credible.
legolouman

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

Decent Programmer to boot!

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 11:17:50 PM

It got nasty because Maria didn't back down, and acted like a prick without providing anything credible.

She also raised the minimum 'bet' when someone called her out.

If you love me, you'd give me a Satoshi!
BTC - 1MSzGKh5znbrcEF2qTrtrWBm4ydH5eT49f
LTC - LYeJrmYQQvt6gRQxrDz66XTwtkdodx9udz
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 11:20:19 PM

Of course not. Most people in this thread don't seem to accept that "Maria" is a woman. If is hard to be misogynistic if you don't believe the target of your ridicule is a woman.

I think transphobia may better describe the gender-specific comments in this thread.

I will accept that maybe most people don't find "Maria" very credible. That does not fully explain why the thread turned nasty so quickly.

I don't think anyone on this board believes that Maria is a natal male with gender identity issues who identifies as female.  The prevailing belief is that the poster behind Maria is batshit crazy and that the Maria persona was created with the express intention of scamming people and giving voice to that poster's delusions of grandeur.  Maria's threats towards others and her over-developed sense of entitlement - along with the pure bullshit she posts - are the primary reason for people's venom towards her.  Even if she was trans, she'd still be a nasty piece of work and attract hostility due to her behaviour rather than gender identity issues.

You'll notice that people are confused about usagi's gender - usagi seems to identify as male sometimes and as female at other times - but their criticisms of usagi are pretty much focused on his/her lies and deceptions regarding his/her investment schemes rather than gender ambiguity.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 11:24:01 PM

I don't think anyone on this board believes that Maria is a natal male with gender identity issues who identifies as female.  The prevailing belief is that the poster behind Maria is batshit crazy and that the Maria persona was created with the express intention of scamming people and giving voice to that poster's delusions of grandeur.  Maria's threats towards others and her over-developed sense of entitlement - along with the pure bullshit she posts - are the primary reason for people's venom towards her.  Even if she was trans, she'd still be a nasty piece of work and attract hostility due to her behaviour rather than gender identity issues.  Disliking someone who is trans because they're a horrible human being is not transphobia.

You'll notice that people are confused about usagi's gender - usagi seems to identify as male sometimes and as female at other times - but their criticisms of usagi are pretty much focused on his/her lies and deceptions regarding his/her investment schemes rather than gender ambiguity.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
caffeinewriter

Activity: 532

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 01:30:00 AM

In a way, this thread has kind of deteriorated into the same type of thread as the "Give Bitcoins to Homeless Jackie" thread. It's deteriorated into misogyny because the general sentiment of threads like this are these "Bitcoin pits" where people use gender as leverage to extract Bitcoins from people in one way or another. Frankly, it's sad, because these people seem to encourage misogyny by giving people on this forum a reason to see females as unlikely rarities instead of actual good people who have something to contribute. So, I'd like to thank people like Maria. Even if you truly are a woman, your asshole personality has tarnished this forums opinion of you regardless of gender. At least Wrong RAP had some semblance of respect while (s)he was on these forums.

</rant>

c4n10

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 04:47:02 PM

You don't actually use the internet very much, do you?  If you do, you clearly don't spend much time on forums.

If you come onto a forum making a wild claim about your own prestige that you can't back up, people ARE GOING to troll you. The focus of this thread wasn't whether Maria was male, female or trans-gender - the focus of this thread was that she/he is bullsh*tting about being the "oldest miner on the forum" as claimed in OP's thread title. We didn't come to this thread because it was titled "I'm a woman, does anyone dare challenge me?" We came here because the OP was making a wild claim about her prestige.

Her credibility is what is in question and when he/she claims to be someone they are not, it is necessary to point out the holes in her credibility.

If trans-gender people take offense to the comments made in this thread it is not because they are trans-gender and we are attacking them, it is because they are being overly-dramatic and self-absorbed CHOOSING to take offense to that which has NOTHING to do with them.
phillipsjk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 10:11:22 PM

I don't think anyone on this board believes that Maria is a natal male with gender identity issues who identifies as female.
If I am correct, Maria may not even believe that.

You don't actually use the internet very much, do you?  If you do, you clearly don't spend much time on forums.
Guilty. I don't like password proliferation. I don't make cyber-stalking too difficult.

If trans-gender people take offense to the comments made in this thread it is not because they are trans-gender and we are attacking them, it is because they are being overly-dramatic and self-absorbed CHOOSING to take offense to that which has NOTHING to do with them.
At least one person did take offence (not me). As I have said, I can't know their exact thought process. Random women checking out the forums may not know Maria's posting history. In response to your specific comment, I said that Maria would be strongly offended if she was trans. It was a direct personal attack, so you are setting up a bit of a straw-man here.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 01:35:13 AM

You don't actually use the internet very much, do you?  If you do, you clearly don't spend much time on forums.
The fact that this is the Internet does not change the fact that there are real people behind the names, and it should not change behaviour.
c4n10

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 05:21:55 AM

The fact that this is the Internet does not change the fact that there are real people behind the names, and it should not change behaviour.

Being on the internet hasn't changed my behavior in this situation. I would call bullsh*t when I suspected in real life too. And when those real people want to be real people I'll treat them as such, but when they want to hide behind a fake persona that they call the truth and then make wild claims of prestige I'm going to call bullsh*t and I'm going to point out holes in their credibility.

She/he asked if we knew how much BTC she/he had, I said enough that he could probably become a woman if he wanted to. There was no malicious intent in my statement, it was a statement of fact. I didn't say anything about whether I thought such decisions to be right, wrong, moral or immoral, I merely stated that it could be done if the OP chose to do so.

Again, if a trans-gender person is going to take offense to the comment it is not because the comment was made with malicious intent it is because they WANT to see malicious intent in the comment.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 03:10:45 PM

Being on the internet hasn't changed my behavior in this situation. I would call bullsh*t when I suspected in real life too. And when those real people want to be real people I'll treat them as such, but when they want to hide behind a fake persona that they call the truth and then make wild claims of prestige I'm going to call bullsh*t and I'm going to point out holes in their credibility.

She/he asked if we knew how much BTC she/he had, I said enough that he could probably become a woman if he wanted to. There was no malicious intent in my statement, it was a statement of fact. I didn't say anything about whether I thought such decisions to be right, wrong, moral or immoral, I merely stated that it could be done if the OP chose to do so.

Again, if a trans-gender person is going to take offense to the comment it is not because the comment was made with malicious intent it is because they WANT to see malicious intent in the comment.
Accusing anyone of faking their gender is woefully inappropriate without evidence. Nobody here accuses anyone who claims to be a male as faking their gender, and this should be no different.
AndrewBUD

Activity: 1078
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 01:56:22 PM

^ I have been called a whiny bitch a few times Cheesy Does that count?

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀
▀██.   `▀▀▀▀▀▀"  Y▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ,██▀
███.                        ,███
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀███▄_                 ,███▀
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

EZ365 is a digital ecosystem that combines
the best aspects of online gaming, cryptocurrency
trading
and blockchain education. ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

..WHITEPAPER..    ..INVESTOR PITCH..

.Telegram     Twitter   Facebook

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
                     ****M██████m.~███f~~__mW█
          ██▀▀▀████████=  Y██▀▀██W ,gm███████
      g█████▄▄▄██   █A~`_WW Y█  ██!,████████
   g▀▀▀███   ████▀▀`_m████i!████P W███  ██
 _███▄▄▄██▀▀▀███Af`_m███   █W ███A ]███  ██
__ ~~~▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█*f_m██████   ██i!██!i███████
Y█████▄▄▄▄__. i██▀▀▀██████████ █!,██████
 8█  █▀▀█████.!██   ██████████i! █████
 '█  █  █   █W M█▄▄▄██████   ██ !██
  !███▄▄█   ██i'██████████   ██
   Y███████████.]██████████████
   █   ███████b ███   ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
 _▄▄█████████▀▀~`,▄████████████▄▄▄
 ~▀▀████▀▀~`,_▄▄███████████████▀▀▀
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
   ]█! m▄▄ '~▀▀▀████▀▀~~ ,_▄▄
  ,W█. *████▄▄__ '  __▄▄█████
  !██P  █████████████████████
   W█. - ██████████████████▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
c4n10

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 10:27:40 AM

Accusing anyone of faking their gender is woefully inappropriate without evidence. Nobody here accuses anyone who claims to be a male as faking their gender, and this should be no different.

The evidence is that they are using the image of an Indian actress as their avatar and trying to pass it off as themselves.
Atlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 10:59:24 AM

You don't actually use the internet very much, do you?  If you do, you clearly don't spend much time on forums.

Oh man, this forum is being so pussified and neo-liberalized that it almost seems like a parody.
caffeinewriter

Activity: 532

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 11:23:52 AM

Oh man, this forum is being so pussified and neo-liberalized that it almost seems like a parody.

If this were a YouTube video, I'd probably think it was the pilot for a new Cracked.com show.

phillipsjk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 05:31:17 PM

You say that like it is a bad thing Wink

If bitcoin is going to gain a following beyond right-wing Libertarians and Anarchists, it has to happen. One alternative is to shut-down the forum.

Many marginalized groups should find Bitcoin compelling. You don't want to scare people away with a toxic forum.

Kontakt

Activity: 266

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 05:33:15 PM

If bitcoin is going to gain a following beyond right-wing Libertarians and Anarchists, it has to happen. One alternative is to shut-down the forum.

Many marginalized groups should find Bitcoin compelling. You don't want to scare people away with a toxic forum.

There are still plenty of the fun, crackpot filled threads to go and have fun in. ^.^
c4n10

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

I'm all for a non-toxic forum, but I must point out: Have you ever seen the comments on YouTube? This forum is tame compared to YT and I don't see users fleeing from there in droves...
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: