Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 04:39:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Quantum Computer Invented  (Read 2929 times)
flug (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 04:36:01 PM

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/136614-researchers-create-single-atom-silicon-based-quantum-computer

Death of Bitcoin?
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 04:41:59 PM

Death of Bitcoin?

Imminent.
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 04:42:50 PM

No.  Quantum computing is being demonstrated on a microscopic scale in a lab environment.

It won't be productized for years, maybe even decades.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2012, 04:45:49 PM

Our Minirig QC is right around the corner.  No, really...

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050

You are WRONG!

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 04:50:10 PM

from the article, it just sounds like an incredible small on/off-switch.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
greyhawk

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 04:56:19 PM

That is in essence exactly what it is. Only it can be "on", "off" and "Aaaah, i don't know, I'm kinda..... you know what, ask me later"
flug (OP)

Activity: 280

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 06:07:16 PM

"It is now quite reasonable to believe that there will be readily available, commercial quantum computers in the next few years."
greyhawk

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 06:14:03 PM

"It is now quite reasonable to believe that there will be readily available, commercial quantum computers in the next few years."

I've read that sentence before. Quite a lot actually. Only it was about flying cars, cancer vaccine, a process to stop aging, artificial intelligence on a human level, bases on the moon and world peace.
Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 06:15:29 PM

Excellent. A quantum based crypto-currency would be even better.
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 06:21:21 PM

No.  Quantum computing is being demonstrated on a microscopic scale in a lab environment.

Hook, line, sinker...

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 06:43:35 PM

No, it is quantum.  It is an on/off/maybe switch.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Mashuri

Activity: 135
Merit: 107

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 07:28:39 PM

So?  There are already quantum-resistant encryption schemes available.  What's to stop the Bitcoin community from switching over?

FLHippy

Activity: 784
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 07:38:40 PM

Our Minirig QC is right around the corner.  No, really...

Are you taking pre-orders yet? Wink

WHALES HEAVEN
Custody-free Swapping Platform
◈  ────────  Reddit ⬝  BountyWebsiteTelegramTwitterGitHub  ────────  ◈
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2012, 08:01:47 PM

Yes, we'll start shipping in a indeterminate amount of time.  It's kind of fuzzy.  Actually, we are shipping now and have shipped in the past and are currently shipping in the future.  All orders have already been shipped, but they are still waiting to be shipped.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 08:07:43 PM

Hook, line, sinker...

Shhhhh, keep it down.  I'm with the NSA and we're trying to spread misinformation in public message boards to hide that we're had QC for the last 5 years.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 11:26:24 PM

So?  There are already quantum-resistant encryption schemes available.  What's to stop the Bitcoin community from switching over?

Maybe because those are impractical (too work intensive) to use with regular machines? (I dont know the answer)

The troublesome time would not be BEFORE or AFTER the transition to QC resistant codes, but the period of transition! Imagine there is a growing fraction of QC compliant codes that cannot be processed in regular machines and on the other hand an abundance of regular encrypted files that fall prey to QC applicators. IDK, is it possible to use QC encryption methods that can also be verified (like hash sums) in regular machines, where the verification of a valid hash sum only takes a fraction of creating the hash?
In that way encryptions would be easy to generate with QC and still verifyable with regular computers.
Ichthyo

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 12:26:50 AM

Hold on folks....

"Quantum computer" -- mostly we're falling for an equivocation here...

Just because it is labeled a "computer" by the scientists doesn't mean it is in any way, even remotely comparable to anything we know as computers. To elaborate on that, let's assume some clever guy has just invented the flip-flop. Does this place him in any way, even remotely close to the goal of having a general purpose PC? Of course not, since there are a gazillion additional things which need to be invented, to bring you from a flip-flop to a PC as we know it today. And a lot of these things (like e.g. the v.Neumann architecture) could be done in a quite different fashion. Which would yield something quite different than what we know as a "computer" today.

All those scientists know today, is the fact that using some quantum mechanical processes plus a certain kind of mathematic approach, it is possible to treat a very specific kind of mathematical problems in a way vastly more efficient than by just doing a numerical calculation to solve those problems "algorithmically" (that is, in the way our present computers can be used to solve problems).

Incidentally, did you know that you don't even need quantum mechanical processes? With a somewhat related, but different approach, you can use a probe with DNA to solve some special simulation problems, which are also quite hard to solve in a conventional, algorithmic way. Just "quantum computers" have such a nice Sci-fi appeal, and thus the press mostly concentrates on "spectacular" news on quantum computing.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 01:01:50 AM

The quantum computer both exists and doesn't
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 01:03:14 AM

Reading the article this sounds more like a quantum scale Turing computer building block rather than an actual quantum computer building block. I mean they were only able to achieve two states, 0 and 1. Or did I misunderstand something?

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 02:07:06 AM

The quantum computer both exists and doesn't

If you calculate exactly how unlikely it is for a quantum computer to exist, it will spontaneously appear (and start mining qubitcoins)!

Or at least that's what I heard from a guy on btce chat...

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
██████