Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 02:19:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I go about purchasing a large amount of bitcoins  (Read 2706 times)
xynet (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 03:41:53 PM

Let's say I'm looking to invest around $500k in bitcoins

What is the procedure to acquire the corresponding amount of bitcoins
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2015, 03:58:12 PM

As far as I know there is no special way to buy large amounts of Bitcoin, you could either buy the whole thing from someone who amassed huge amounts from the early days or slowly over a long period of time from exchanges (going on an immediate buying spree with that kind of money would cause the price to rise fast and you would lose quite a bit)
trace666

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 03:59:46 PM

$500k is an amount that should be possible via the larger exchanges, see https://bitcoinwisdom.com/

Since the market at each moment and at each exchange is not that deep, you would probably divide between different exchanges and multiple days.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6657

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2015, 04:18:56 PM

Also make sure that at whatever exchanges you buy at that you are fully verified and have passed whatever verification that they require. That way you won't have governments and the exchanges going after you for "suspicious activity"

Furio
Legendary

Activity: 938

BTC | LTC | XLM | VEN | ARDR

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 04:20:58 PM

Never mind, didn't see the "K'' Wink

Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036

/dev/null

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 04:31:24 PM

uhh, 500k USD is around 1.7k BTC these days, which not look so high, as it looks in fiat:)

possible ways

1* go to localbitcoins.com, initiate contact with biggest sellers in your region (Europe, US) and start negotiate terms / ask them for offer.
2* initiate contact with some huge Chinese mining company/visit China personally and buy it directly from miners
3* create multiple bank accounts, transfer fiat to multiple exchanges and start buying

problem with point 3 is, that gov. may block your funds at it will be visible. So imho best and feasible way is just start slowly collecting locally..anyway, it will be risky and time consuming for sure, 500k USD is really lot of money, in my country you can had luxury car and amazing big house with garden everywhere you want:))
jeannemadrigal2

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 04:54:18 PM

Look at different exchanges, they all have limits on what you can buy.  Also look at the fees, they can eat in to your money.  Right now it seems like cex.io has the lowest fees, but I didn't look at every exchange.  They don't charge anything except their regular trading fees.  So you will end up paying for wire transfer fee(s) and .25% to buy btc.  There may be better but that is the best I found.  Also before buying look at the order books.  There is no point in making a price spike because you will pay more than you need to.  With that size I think that what others have said, making smaller purchases at multiple exchanges, is your best option.  If you use LBC just make sure you are not getting too much markup, the % can be (but is not always) pretty steep there if you are not creating your own order.

Best of luck!
Terabot

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 04:59:31 PM

uhh, 500k USD is around 1.7k BTC these days, which not look so high, as it looks in fiat:)

possible ways

1* go to localbitcoins.com, initiate contact with biggest sellers in your region (Europe, US) and start negotiate terms / ask them for offer.
2* initiate contact with some huge Chinese mining company/visit China personally and buy it directly from miners
3* create multiple bank accounts, transfer fiat to multiple exchanges and start buying

problem with point 3 is, that gov. may block your funds at it will be visible. So imho best and feasible way is just start slowly collecting locally..anyway, it will be risky and time consuming for sure, 500k USD is really lot of money, in my country you can had luxury car and amazing big house with garden everywhere you want:))

500K USD on localbitcoins, scary... scary Shocked
tmfp
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1737

"Common rogue from Russia with a bare ass."

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 05:05:07 PM

possible ways

500K USD on localbitcoins, scary... scary Shocked

LOL, yeah, "Meet you in Starbucks, I'll be the guy with the AK47 and the Rottweiler."

Extraordinary Claims require Extraordinary Evidence
teddy5145

Activity: 714
Merit: 528

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 05:08:53 PM

Try to search on localbitcoins.com
They should had sellers around your area if you want meet them face to face  Wink
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 2327

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 05:15:02 PM

Localbitcoins is probably the worse place to buy that amount of Bitcoin.

Your best bet would probably be second market. If that doesn't work then I would suggest  coinbase if you are located in the U.S. (Or another country they serve customers to). Their exchange has somewhat of limited liquidity at times however you can buy from them directly with only a ~1% markup above the exchange rate.
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036

/dev/null

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 05:25:22 PM

cool, so OP is asking to buy BTC for 500k USD and you recommend him to use online US based bitcoin exchange, right?

now please describe us, how to securely transfer 500k USD to some exchange and what are you experience with such transactions. last time, when I tried to transfer 25k EUR (SEPA) to bitcoin exchange within EU, they called me in 20 minutes from my bank and asked for explanation. I just expected, that if somebody had 500k USD, he knows how to behave, negotiate and secure similar meetings personally..

sorry, but recommending online bitcoin exchange as coinbase for 500k USD transaction is one of the most stupid advices, which I ever read heard..
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2015, 05:26:54 PM

before you invest that amount, make sure you know alot about securing your BTC

maybe this is a better option for you:

http://www.otcmarkets.com/stock/GBTC/quote

http://www.xbtprovider.com/lang_en

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 05:37:36 PM

For that amount I would recommend buying directly from a mine or OTC. You may be able to get a better price since you save the seller time and effort.
Since there is a danger of fraud if you are not sure what you are doing, I would want to meet face to face and sign a contract for the sale. Meet at a public restaurant for dinner. The seller can send the coins then you guys can eat dinner while waiting for 5-6 confirmations. In about an hour the Tx is safely encoded into the blockchain and each of you can be assured that the sale is legit.

You may also need an escrow. The hard part of this is the fiat, not the bitcoins. 500k is a lot to carry in a briefcase, but no one in their right mind is going to let you walk out after handing over a check. They will need some way of verifying that you have the money and that the dollars are real.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 05:50:03 PM

For that amount I would recommend buying directly from a mine or OTC. You may be able to get a better price since you save the seller time and effort.
Since there is a danger of fraud if you are not sure what you are doing, I would want to meet face to face and sign a contract for the sale. Meet at a public restaurant for dinner. The seller can send the coins then you guys can eat dinner while waiting for 5-6 confirmations. In about an hour the Tx is safely encoded into the blockchain and each of you can be assured that the sale is legit.

You may also need an escrow. The hard part of this is the fiat, not the bitcoins. 500k is a lot to carry in a briefcase, but no one in their right mind is going to let you walk out after handing over a check. They will need some way of verifying that you have the money and that the dollars are real.

This is a good idea, maybe Bitmain would be interested.
Andrew Vorobyov

Activity: 558
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 06:18:34 AM

Sell PUT option
CEG5952

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 06:25:53 AM

You could go for a trusted partner of bitcoin community or buy on multiple sources one at a time. By this, you'll avoid getting ripped off. Exchange sites like ecoin.eu or xmlgold are also a good choice to go. Although, they cannot supply the whole $500k, they can get you like half of it for sure.

sherbyspark

Activity: 910

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 06:48:11 AM

Buying $500K from on source would never be recommended however you can use a popular exchange with large volumes  . Another thing you can do is contact a mining operation who usually generate large amounts of bitcoin or people who are early adopters who have large amount and set up a trade with them .
melisande

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 08:12:06 AM

500k is a huge amount and I will not advise you to buy the virtual bitcoin, simply go into well arranged contract with people that sells physical bitcoin, get it from them and keep it in your bank vault for safety but buying the virtual one is highly discouraged.
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 01:37:44 PM

Hit me up in PM.

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: