Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 08:50:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If address is entered wrong for sent transaction anything can be done?  (Read 658 times)
Genesys (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 07:29:40 PM

If someone has sent bitcoins using  QoinPro but had the address wrongly entered(missing 1 character at the end) is there a way to retrieve that transaction? Where does it go to if the address is wrong?
Can their support correct this mistake on their system?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2015, 07:33:51 PM

If someone has sent bitcoins using  QoinPro but had the address wrongly entered(missing 1 character at the end) is there a way to retrieve that transaction?

There should be no transaction.

Where does it go to if the address is wrong?

A properly defined client does not accept a wrong address. Addresses have a build in checksum to avoid this kind of mistake.

They should, yes.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Genesys (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 08:08:34 PM

If someone has sent bitcoins using  QoinPro but had the address wrongly entered(missing 1 character at the end) is there a way to retrieve that transaction?

There should be no transaction.

Where does it go to if the address is wrong?

A properly defined client does not accept a wrong address. Addresses have a build in checksum to avoid this kind of mistake.

They should, yes.
Thanks Shorena. I hope this is the case. Are you sure they are rejected and sent back to sender, it is qoinpro so it was sent by their online wallet. How to verify this?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2015, 08:20:49 PM

-snip-
Thanks Shorena. I hope this is the case. Are you sure they are rejected and sent back to sender, it is qoinpro so it was sent by their online wallet. How to verify this?

They should be able to verify this, yes.

Im not entirely sure about how the network would handle this if their wallet software would ignore this though. My assumption is that this would create an invalid transaction that is not accepted by any node and thus never left their system. If this is true it essentially is just a database problem as the coins are still in qoinpro's wallet, they just dont show them on your account.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Karpeles
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 10:50:26 PM

Happened to me more than once.

Sometimes there is a error about invalid address and nothing was done, but once I needed to contact support to refund my bitcoins.

I think all services should check if address is valid before trying to send anything to them
Genesys (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 02:26:21 AM

Happened to me more than once.

Sometimes there is a error about invalid address and nothing was done, but once I needed to contact support to refund my bitcoins.

I think all services should check if address is valid before trying to send anything to them
That's what I would think would happen especially if it was from a company that you are using to send from their wallet.
Thanks all for the help on this. If it happened more than once, then I have courage that they can do something about it, because it was for 0.5 btc which is a lot to lose on something like stupid spelling mistake that was made by the other party.
TriggerX

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 02:28:45 AM

It won't send. This has happened to me more than I would like to admit :p . When I copy and paste an address, there might be a v on the end and luckily it won't send. If you accidently change your address by a letter it shouldn't verify or send (unless someone has that address) and I believe you get the bitcoins back.

Hi!
Genesys (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 04:31:59 PM

It won't send. This has happened to me more than I would like to admit :p . When I copy and paste an address, there might be a v on the end and luckily it won't send. If you accidently change your address by a letter it shouldn't verify or send (unless someone has that address) and I believe you get the bitcoins back.
You are certain if it is missing or has an extra character in the string of the bitcoin address that it will not send? I think I am getting taken for then. Person said he got email confirmation from Qoinpro that the bitcoins were sent to that address with the missing "i" at the end, and repeated the bitcoin address like that in the confirmation email. They don't send tx id though, so can not have any proof it was sent in what blockchain.
cazkooo
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1013

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 04:55:55 PM

You are certain if it is missing or has an extra character in the string of the bitcoin address that it will not send? I think I am getting taken for then.

Didnt you read shorena's answer for this? Shorena is the best person you can ask for about techinical issue like this and his answer is correct

Person said he got email confirmation from Qoinpro that the bitcoins were sent to that address with the missing "i" at the end, and repeated the bitcoin address like that in the confirmation email. They don't send tx id though, so can not have any proof it was sent in what blockchain.

Transaction hash is the best thing to prove if they send the btc or not. If they cant show the transaction hash then the transaction never happened.
Genesys (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 05:33:04 PM

You are certain if it is missing or has an extra character in the string of the bitcoin address that it will not send? I think I am getting taken for then.

Didnt you read shorena's answer for this? Shorena is the best person you can ask for about techinical issue like this and his answer is correct

Person said he got email confirmation from Qoinpro that the bitcoins were sent to that address with the missing "i" at the end, and repeated the bitcoin address like that in the confirmation email. They don't send tx id though, so can not have any proof it was sent in what blockchain.

Transaction hash is the best thing to prove if they send the btc or not. If they cant show the transaction hash then the transaction never happened.

I did read Shorena's answer and he said:
Im not entirely sure about how the network would handle this if their wallet software would ignore this though...

So I wanted so be certain.
Genesys (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 07:52:48 PM

Anyways, I got a reply back from this guy who tried to sell me and then sent the bitcoins using a wrong address. He said the hash doesn't have same amount of characters. They bitcoin address is what I was referring too, the hash is the tx id? Correct?
I am still newb so go easy on me. And I know I can search for this easily enough, but am at work so can not be on here long  Lips sealed
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 6678

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2015, 08:06:21 PM

Anyways, I got a reply back from this guy who tried to sell me and then sent the bitcoins using a wrong address. He said the hash doesn't have same amount of characters. They bitcoin address is what I was referring too, the hash is the tx id? Correct?
I am still newb so go easy on me. And I know I can search for this easily enough, but am at work so can not be on here long  Lips sealed
Hard to know. Hashes are used everywhere in Bitcoin. The Bitcoin address is based off of two hashes, and missing a character should invalidate the address. The last several characters of an address is a checksum, which ensures that the address is correct. If the checksum doesn't match, then the whole thing is wrong and should never have sent.

Genesys (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 02:13:44 AM

Hard to know. Hashes are used everywhere in Bitcoin. The Bitcoin address is based off of two hashes, and missing a character should invalidate the address. The last several characters of an address is a checksum, which ensures that the address is correct. If the checksum doesn't match, then the whole thing is wrong and should never have sent.
That is what he must of meant.
Thanks for that descriptive reply. It makes it easier to see if he was trying to scam me or not.
Next time when I do a trade I should ask them to repeat the address they are sending to before hitting the send button in their wallet.  Roll Eyes Such a simple request to ask for, but we both were in a rush at that time.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: