Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 05:06:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-QT not detecting bitcoin.conf  (Read 2236 times)
Rinnosuke (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 09:26:03 PM

I've tried several times to startup bitcoin-qt as a server but every time I get an error saying that bitcoin.conf isn't there problem is it's actually there, any idea what could be going on? I'm including the current contents of my bitcoin.conf file to help

server=1
rpcuser=
rpcpassword=

User and password are filled in, just took them out here to censor them Cheesy
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 01:01:24 AM

I've tried several times to startup bitcoin-qt as a server but every time I get an error saying that bitcoin.conf isn't there problem is it's actually there, any idea what could be going on? I'm including the current contents of my bitcoin.conf file to help

server=1
rpcuser=
rpcpassword=

User and password are filled in, just took them out here to censor them Cheesy

The bitcoin.conf should be in Bitcoin directory ... the same directory where the wallet.dat resides.

Do you have a file permissions issue maybe, where the user running Bitcoin-qt can't read the .conf ?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Rinnosuke (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 05:39:31 AM

Yeah I think that's the permissions issue, I ment to post the picture with the error and forgot to, sorry, let me put it up now. I do have it in the correct directory as well.

https://i.imgur.com/dHeB6.png

Edit:apparently dropbox hates when I try to like photos that way.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 06:40:23 AM

Yeah I think that's the permissions issue, I ment to post the picture with the error and forgot to, sorry, let me put it up now. I do have it in the correct directory as well.

Ok, try this.  Copy the bitcoin.conf to bitcoin.conf.tmp
then rename the bitcoin.conf to bitcoin.conf.sav
and then rename bitcoin.conf.tmp to bitcoin.conf

Then try to launch as server and see what happens.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4410
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 08:05:50 AM

This may be a stupid question, but did you have "Hide extensions for known file types" in Explorer turned on when you created your bitcoin.conf file? If so, you've probably accidentally named your file "bitcoin.conf.txt" - that won't work at all. This "feature" is probably the single most annoying thing I've ever had to deal with on Windows systems - and that's saying a lot. Turn it off and leave it off, and your life will be a whole lot less annoying.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Rinnosuke (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 08:13:47 PM

This may be a stupid question, but did you have "Hide extensions for known file types" in Explorer turned on when you created your bitcoin.conf file? If so, you've probably accidentally named your file "bitcoin.conf.txt" - that won't work at all. This "feature" is probably the single most annoying thing I've ever had to deal with on Windows systems - and that's saying a lot. Turn it off and leave it off, and your life will be a whole lot less annoying.

That got it, and I feel like a total moron now for not thinking of it.... Then again I'm a linux nut who only uses windows for gaming so....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: