Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 08:54:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The SEC digs into GLBSE, Pirate and Bitcoin, what does that mean pricewise?  (Read 1937 times)
Spekulatius (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 11:39:31 PM

The title covers it pretty much. What do you expect out of this investigation and how do you think it will influence the price?

Some animations:

- No effect: This investigation only concerns Pirate, no effect on price
- Price goes UP: Finally some justice in sight, this will prove bitcoinland is not Wild West anymore
- Price goes UP: This investigation could lead to an official recognition of Bitcoin as either currency or commodity
- Price goes UP: This will generate some publicity for Bitcoin, bad publicity is better then no publicity
- Price goes DOWN: This is bad news for bitcoin, people will loose trust
- Price goes DOWN: Any involvement of the state into the Bitcoin project will be met with delusion by its supporters
- Price goes DOWN: People will withdraw their funds from GLBSE as prices for stocks go down --> withdrawn BTC will be (at least partially) dumped into exchanges

P.S.: I know the US SEC has no direct control over the UK based enterprise of the GLBSE (yes! its T H E Global Bitcoin Stock Exchange), but there are certainly strong connections between the two anglo saxon regulatory bodies. A SEC investigation could easily lead to consequences for UK based businesses and vice versa.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 01:59:05 AM

Price goes down as people panic because of uncertainty and try to take what profit they can and/or mitigate further losses.  Remember those single digits I've been talking about?  They're coming.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 12:52:40 PM

US authorities may be able to annoy Gox and Intersango from afar. That would be very annoying, IMO for the authorities as well, but I'm not so certain they understand that.

If they only go against BS&T, it's neutral/no news, maybe a little positive for people from the USA. But the chance of them attacking random businesses is a negative indicator. Many here neither know nor care about the gazillion arbitrary regulations in that country. Usually, regulation has more cost than benefit, that's why many of us are here.

So it's a down indicator until it's clear the SEC intends to behave in a sane and productive manner.
fm1234

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 02:04:16 PM

So it's a down indicator until it's clear the SEC intends to behave in a sane and productive manner.

SELL! SELL! SELL!  Wink
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 02:08:41 PM

Price goes down as people panic because of uncertainty and try to take what profit they can and/or mitigate further losses.  Remember those single digits I've been talking about?  They're coming.

I am certain that if we saw single digits again, I'd be interested in buying a good chunk of coin.  I know others who would too.  So bring on the single digits for what they're worth.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
squid

Activity: 112

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 02:30:58 PM

Price goes down as people panic because of uncertainty and try to take what profit they can and/or mitigate further losses.  Remember those single digits I've been talking about?  They're coming.

I am certain that if we saw single digits again, I'd be interested in buying a good chunk of coin.  I know others who would too.  So bring on the single digits for what they're worth.

+1 to this!
mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 03:14:31 PM

I'd say you have a chance of seing single digits only untill around next january.
After that the price should not drop below $10.
blakdawg

Activity: 113

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 05:45:05 PM

My hunch is, short-term, no effect, because people who are likely to be affected think they're protected by unicorns and fairies so as far as they're concerned they're invisible and bulletproof. So they're not going to do anything until their assets are frozen and their computers are seized, and then it'll be way too late.

Long-term, the value of BTC will rise, because criminals and the idiots they feed on will move on to the next opportunity, leaving nice rational people to enjoy the benefits of BTC.

MaxSan

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 07:55:11 PM

Long-term, the value of BTC will rise, because criminals and the idiots they feed on will move on to the next opportunity, leaving nice rational people to enjoy the benefits of BTC.

Fixed that for you.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 08:53:18 PM

Don't worry about Proudhon he is dreaming and thinking no one else would realize that opportunity.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

salty

Activity: 562
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 09:02:06 AM

I think it will inspire confidence, especially if the Bitcoin Foundation can get talking to journalists looking to report on the story.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: