Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:47:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: nothing to see here, move along.  (Read 9344 times)
Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 10:48:45 PM
Last edit: July 16, 2015, 04:57:22 PM by Cryddit

nothing to see here, move along.

I can't delete topics in this board.
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 11:02:00 PM

Thank you for posting this.
I agree with most of what you are saying and surprised other higher level members (such as yourself and higher),
have not created threads in reference to this crucial topic.

Also, could you do a TL:DR at the beginning or end of your post?
Certain users will gloss over your explanation and I believe will be helpful to gather discussion.

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
ransomer

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 11:23:28 PM

Interesting.
RealMalatesta
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1124

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 11:28:59 PM

Interesting theorie. Now: What would be the solution against this?
AgentofCoin
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 11:33:43 PM

They hadn't had a chance to yet; you responded only fifteen minutes or so after me.
I should have been more clear.
I believe that there was funny business going on with the recent "stress test".
There were users going here and there stating their opinions as to whether it was financially profitable or not (extra fees).
Many said that it was not. I stated it was very profitable if a miner was preforming this.
Most users here like to think it was the banks trying to "takedown bitcoin a few notches", or etc.

But from what I have seen, not many higher level or knowledgeable users actually weighed in on this/the topic.
You have created a well written post that I hope to see more discussion and in depth study by those who have such ability.

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
AgentofCoin
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 11:58:11 PM

There were users going here and there stating their opinions as to whether it was financially profitable or not (extra fees).
Many said that it was not. I stated it was very profitable if a miner was preforming this.
Most users here like to think it was the banks trying to "takedown bitcoin a few notches", or etc.

But from what I have seen, not many higher level or knowledgeable users actually weighed in on this/the topic.
You have created a well written post that I hope to see more discussion and in depth study by those who have such ability.

Yeah, I'd seen the conspiracy theories.  You get that when people think that they're part of a rebellion and the whole world is trying to stop them.

But the people wondering whether it was financially profitable or not, just hadn't gotten around to doing the math.  I actually did the math (I analyze attacks on crypto systems all the time) and went, holy crap, that's a lot less than the 51% everyone's been scared of. 

Yes. I'm not a programmer nor good enough at math to do the heavy lifting. Thank you for your work.

Bitcoininspace

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 11:58:46 PM

Very original and well written post.

I'll go grab my popcorn now. Smiley
ransomer

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 12:13:30 AM

What would stop this is finding a fair way to compensate the miners.

Sounds like they are taking the community ransom.

Giving into their (articulated or not) demands is usually a very bad idea. Rather all probably needs to be done to minimize dependence on these big farms.
newb4now

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 12:15:14 AM

Interesting theory. It does sound like what you describe could be profitable.

I don't agree with your conclusion that this will ultimately lead to a monopoly.

TheMage

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

Litecoin Association Director

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 01:06:28 AM

I had suspicions that something like this was happening. Thank you OP for providing some insight in a topic on a laundry list that needs to be addressed.

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/TheRealMage for Litecoin and Litecoin Association news!
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 01:53:06 AM

The only way I can see to fix this is an emergency fork to dynamically adjust the block size limit and keep it over 1/2 the average "real" transaction rate.  I can imagine no way to deploy such a fork. 

the only way to "really" fix this problem is to lift the cap entirely.
teppy

Activity: 185
Merit: 114

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 02:00:46 AM

So if I'm understand this correctly, a miner's profit using the outlined attack is as follows. Note that currently no transaction fees are "burned" - miners keep all of them.

L=Share of legitimate transactions
H=Share of hashing amount that the attacker controls
B=Share of the fees that must be burned

Profit=(L*H*(1-B))-(1-L)*(1-H)

Suppose there was a change to the Bitcoin protocol as follows: Every newly mined block must send half the transaction fees to a "burn" address. So we'll increase B from 0 (current protocol) to 1/2:

Under the original example L=2/3, H=1/2, B=0 and so Profit=1/6

Under the proposed change L=2/3, H=1/2, B=1/2 and so Profit=0

However, as L approaches 1 it doesn't matter how high you set B to, there is still profit to be extracted from this attack.

Setting B=0.5 protects the network from attacks where L<2/3, whereas before the network was only safe where L<1/2, so it's an improvement, but not the final solution.

Thoughts?

Dragon's Tale is the longest running Bitcoin enterprise in the world.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2015, 02:15:13 AM

So a block size limit increase would fix the problem because for this to be profitable, the attacker needs to have at least half of the block be legitimate transactions and that there still be a backlog of transactions, yes? And since there isn't that much real transaction volume, raising the limit to the suggested compromise of 8 Mb would solve this issue for now since it suddenly becomes unprofitable to continue to attack until transaction volume increases.

coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 02:15:52 AM

This doesn't pass the prisoner's dilemma test.

Creating a backlog to increase fees can be profitable. But while on paper this is the best outcome, it is not the optimal outcome as your investment in the mining capacity and your longer-term ROI will be diminished because you would end up impacting the confidence in the system that you want to profit from.

The most profitable monopolistic and selfish outcome is therefore not the most optimal outcome.
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 03:18:49 AM

This is very interesting and informative... I wouldn't mind seeing more detailed math behind this
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 03:30:05 AM

This is very interesting and informative... I wouldn't mind seeing more detailed math behind this

Yes, the math would be very nice to see.  It's an interesting theory, but it needs evidence (or in math you'd call it a proof I guess) to support it and make it more than a well thought out post.

If "someone" is doing this on purpose than there's less than a handful of someones that could be.  That certainly narrows down the suspect list...

One thing that comes to mind, though, is that some of the pools capable of this also mine empty blocks and I'm not sure that helps an attack as described.
interfect

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 03:34:22 AM

I don't get how this is supposed to work.

It looks like someone with a minimum share of the hashing power can enforce a minimum fee, up to the point where the total fee paid by legitimate transactions willing to accept that minimum drops off. The miner enforcing the minimum fee can flood the network with transactions paying just below that fee, and get back a sufficient portion of their own transaction fees that the fees they pay in spam transactions mined by others are balanced by the fees they earn from legitimate transactions.

I fail to see how this results in that miner achieving a monopoly. The other miners will be enjoying the benefits of the higher minimum fee, and will collect some of the fees from spam transactions, without having to pay for any spam transactions of their own. So whatever profit the attacking miner is making, the other miners will be making more.

At best, this attack allows a sizable minority group of miners to engage in price fixing without running out of money, under the constraint that legitimate transactions are still wiling to pay enough to fill half the block.
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 8419

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2015, 03:36:45 AM
Last edit: July 16, 2015, 04:28:07 AM by gmaxwell

On the facts the above desciption doesn't describe behavior in the network at the moment-- e.g. backlog isn't there, and substantial amounts of the funds that went into the DOS attack paid for outputs, not fees.

The scheme you describe is scale-free; I see you clarified in later messages that you think the "solution" is dyanmic controls rather than a removal of limit but the bold increase blocksize response in your initial is quite confusing-- more than half your text is spent spinning hyperbole, it would have been much more useful to spend that text on describing what you're actually talking about.

Perhaps most importantly, it does not make a case that the attacker produces increased income relative to his hashpower.  Consider:

Lets imagine your mine with half hashpower. Lets imagine that a block can contain 6000 transactions.  Attacker has 1/2 hashpower.  Offered load is 4000 tx/block.

Attacker crafts 2000/tx block at 1coin/tx fee level. Making the rest match him (plus episilon, which we'll disregard).

His average cost for spam is 1000 coin/block (2000 * 1-rate).
His average income is 2000 coin/block (4000 * rate).  (He doesn't get income from his spam, he saves its cost however; see prior line)
His net income is 1000 coins/block, on average.

Now consider the consolidation of other miners:
Their average cost for spam is 0.
Their average income is 3000 coin/block (6000 * (1-rate)).
Their net income is 3000 coin/block.

Both groups have 50% hashrate, so the non-attacking miner has a fee income of three times greater the attacking miner per unit hashrate!

Normalized for hashrate thats 2000 vs 6000.

----
Lets instead imagine that there is also a backlog of fees episilon beflow the attackers floor, and he mines those instead of his own and that doing this doesn't somehow eliminate the floor effect:

Attacker average cost for spam is 1000 coin/block (2000*1-rate)
Attacker income is 3000 coin/block (6000 * rate)
Attacker net income is slightly under 2000 coins/block, on average.

Honest miners cost for spam 0.
Honest miners income is 3000 coins/block (6000*(1-rate))
Their net income is 3000 coins/block.

Again doesn't work.

----
We can work this for any other size, say  and attacker with 40%:

Attacker cost for spam is 1200 coin/block (2000*(1-rate))
Attacker income is 1600 coin/block (4000*rate)
Attacker net income is 400 coin/block

Honest miners cost for spam is 0 coin/block
Honest miner income is 3600 coin/block (6000*(1-rate))
Honest miner net income is 3600 coin/block.

Normalized for rate, thats 1000 vs 6000.

---

Finally, we already know that the system is not incentive compatible when a single party (or collaborating conspiracy) has more than 1/3rd of the hashrate: http://arxiv.org/abs/1311.0243   (The results below 1/3rd require information asymetry advantages which are handwavy, but at 1/3rd or beyond no such asymetry is required)-- though such attacks are highly conspicious.

At best, this attack allows a sizable minority group of miners to engage in price fixing without running out of money, under the constraint that legitimate transactions are still wiling to pay enough to fill half the block.
Exactly, like anyone they can generate transactions to drive up fees; large miner hashpower gets a discount on fees; but they still lose funds; and everyone else shares the income.
Quantus
Legendary

Activity: 883
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 04:12:31 AM

I knew it! Let the record show I called it first. (I just couldn't do the math to prove it)

I still have questions tho, like how high can they push transaction fees and dose this mean the end of micro transactions in the long term?

This will cause the blockchain to grow a lot faster, that's a clear downside.

I bet its the top pools working together (in secret), I have no proof just got a feeling. 

I for one, welcome our new Mining cartel overlords.

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Know your adversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
meono

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 04:32:42 AM

Stupid as stupid does.

Cant believe forum members fall for this so called "math"

lol....
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: