Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 01:35:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can bitcoin die at some date because of stranded bitcoins?  (Read 3580 times)
SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 12:48:25 AM

Hello,

in normal world money is printed and it has a value. And it doesnt bring problems when money burns. But bitcoin is different because the amount of bitcoins is limited.

So when in real world someone dies, leaving behind a bank account, the money wont be stranded. Except its black money. But even then more money can be printed.

But what about bitcoins that lie at addresses that doesnt have owners anymore? I mean wallets can be lost because pc crash and no backups. Or user dies and no one knows he has bitcoins. That means there must be a growing number of bitcoins that lie on addresses without owners. And noboday can take these bitcoins away.

So when this is true its only a matter of time until the bitcoins that can be used are going to an end. So bitcoins will raise in value because people need them to pay. But btc only has 8 numbers behind the dot and this will stop at some point too. So...

Am i wrong?

Thanks!

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 01:14:00 AM

Money is not value; it is not wealth.  Nothing important is lost when money is destroyed, not dollars, not bitcoins.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 01:24:24 AM

I think you dont see what i mean. I mean that at some point the useable bitcoins are way less. And the more far it goes in the future the worse the problem should become.

Or is there a way to get the money from an address that cant be accessed by his owner anymore? These bitcoins cant be used anymore. Maybe at the moment its only 100BTC but at some time it will be 100.000 and so on. Because no one can claim them anymore.

Its not that the value is gone. The medium to pay vanishes bit by bit.

Wrong?

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 01:28:29 AM

I think you dont see what i mean. I mean that at some point the useable bitcoins are way less. And the more far it goes in the future the worse the problem should become.

Or is there a way to get the money from an address that cant be accessed by his owner anymore? These bitcoins cant be used anymore. Maybe at the moment its only 100BTC but at some time it will be 100.000 and so on. Because no one can claim them anymore.

Wrong?

2100000000000000 is a lot of medium, it's going to be ok.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
kjj
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 01:31:07 AM

Wrong?

So?  The medium that remains becomes worth more in proportion to the amount lost.  And we can renormalize if necessary to make the 1 remaining BTC divisible to more places.

I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 01:34:29 AM

Wrong?

You don't need to worry, for several reasons.
1) As stated, we have 21,000,000 BTC which are divisible to 8 decimals. As Bitcoin has matured, the rate of loss has gone down significantly, which makes sense. The more valuable something is, the more careful people are not to lose it.
2) As some is lost, the rest becomes more valuable. In the case that BTC is worth "too much" at the 8th decimal place for practical use, because we've lost "too much", we can make a change to the protocol to allow for dividing farther. This is the type of change that would not have opposition, so it wouldn't be impossible to make. However, this is not likely to be a concern in our lifetimes.
Coinabul

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 01:36:55 AM

Same thing occurs with gold. Gold is used up, lost at sea, stolen, etc. At the end of the day, when the prices rise, the costs people will spend to recover hard to reach resources goes up...

Imagine a future where Bitcoin miners no longer only run the network... but mine through e-waste dumps for harddrives with old Bitcoin wallets on them.

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!
Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 03:17:54 AM

Interesting point, I see where you're coming from... that its a shame that so many bitcoins will never be realized as they're just forgotten about.

Just a thought... if an expiry system was introduced, similar to land leases, 99 years would be a good benchmark for expiry... and the miners could once again mine the coin. Not sure if this would be technically possible though.

That way the reintroduction will be very slow and not affect the economy a huge amount, however it would ensure 100% circulation of all 21million bitcoins each 100 years.

If in the future you have old coins that are > 90 years old, I'm sure it wouldn't be too much trouble to send them to a new address or re-create that new offline wallet.

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 03:30:21 AM

No different to dollar bills lost or stuffed into mattresses that were forgotten. Smiley

Seriously dollar bills don't have an expiry date so why would we want them for bitcoins?

I guess it is perhaps likely that within 100 years the ECDSA used for the key pairs will have become insecure and another algo will be needed (effectively forcing all to "upgrade" their bitcoins or risk losing them).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 04:34:39 AM

Interesting point, I see where you're coming from... that its a shame that so many bitcoins will never be realized as they're just forgotten about.

Just a thought... if an expiry system was introduced, similar to land leases, 99 years would be a good benchmark for expiry... and the miners could once again mine the coin. Not sure if this would be technically possible though.

That way the reintroduction will be very slow and not affect the economy a huge amount, however it would ensure 100% circulation of all 21million bitcoins each 100 years.

If in the future you have old coins that are > 90 years old, I'm sure it wouldn't be too much trouble to send them to a new address or re-create that new offline wallet.

Why not 80? 40?

If you could make changes like that it would break trust, can't so won't so we're fine.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Seal
Donator

Activity: 848

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 06:02:27 AM

Why not 80? 40?

If you could make changes like that it would break trust, can't so won't so we're fine.

Historically I'm using an age old concept as a suggestion of how the policy could work:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99-year_lease

Under the traditional American common law doctrine, the 99-year term was not literal, but merely an arbitrary time span beyond the life expectancy of any possible lessee or lessor.

Who's trust would it break given that the owner of the coins would have died meaning the coins will be out of circulation anyway?

Redistribution of expired coins can be done once again through mining such as how coins are currently distributed.

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 12:39:53 PM

So the 8 digits behind the dot can be extended. That could solve the problem, thats right. Because the loss of bitcoins that cant be accessed for live will lead to the remaining bitcoins have a higher value because they are needed for transactions. So have more digits behind the dot can solve this.

But i think the 99-year-idea is nice too. Because it could run miners make a bit more profitabel once all 21.000.000 BTC are mined. I mean miners are needed then too and they would only get money from fees. I think bitcoin will face a problem then. This idea could make it a bit more profitabel to help let the network live.
Second good thing is that the amount of useable bitcoins remains the same.
And i dont think this will break trust. No bitcoinuser will have bitcoins at an address for 99 years without moving it. The only trustproblem could be when this is a securityrisk.
But i think its not doable. If it was possible to kill btc from an address i imagine this will be a security risk to the network. So i doubt it will happen.

E-Waste-Dumps... hacking old wallets or what? Smiley But anyway... there are enough ways to lose a wallet completely. So no one can access it anyway.

I dont think its the same like with gold or dollars. Because gold isnt used for payment widely. Plus the worldwide amount of gold is raising always. That means because of too less gold there isnt a lack of medium for transactions. Gold is unusually for transactions, there is enough anyway and its growing.
Dollars are used for paying but even when millions are burned its not a problem. They are printed all day long. So there will never be a problem that not enough dollarpapers are available to do transactions.
Bitcoins are different. They are 21.000.000. And thats it. There cant be more if im not wrong. So its not like with dollar where new dollars can be printed when some are lost or with gold where you can find it somewhere.

kjj
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 12:51:59 PM

But i think the 99-year-idea is nice too. Because it could run miners make a bit more profitabel once all 21.000.000 BTC are mined. I mean miners are needed then too and they would only get money from fees. I think bitcoin will face a problem then. This idea could make it a bit more profitabel to help let the network live.
Second good thing is that the amount of useable bitcoins remains the same.
And i dont think this will break trust. No bitcoinuser will have bitcoins at an address for 99 years without moving it. The only trustproblem could be when this is a securityrisk.

This will never, ever, ever, ever happen.  If the network can steal coins from any transaction, it can steal coins from every transaction.

SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 01:09:38 PM

I thought so when it would mean taking away... but how about every transaction has a timeout? So that an amount of bitcoins sent to an address has a timeout of 99years. And as long as the btc arent send into another transaction the timeout isnt set back. So after 99 years the btc simply vanish and can be mined again. When the timeout cant be manipulated there shouldnt be a risk anymore am i wrong?

kjj
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 01:41:37 PM

I thought so when it would mean taking away... but how about every transaction has a timeout? So that an amount of bitcoins sent to an address has a timeout of 99years. And as long as the btc arent send into another transaction the timeout isnt set back. So after 99 years the btc simply vanish and can be mined again. When the timeout cant be manipulated there shouldnt be a risk anymore am i wrong?

Won't happen, same reason.

SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 02:28:22 PM

I learned that there is already a coin age. Im not sure but its the time when a transaction for a satoshi was made the last time. So assuming that after 99years without a transaction the btc are abandoned the network could say they vanish. How could this be used to steal money? I mean it would be a rule in the net that btc that are older than 99years at one place vanish. The coin age cant be faked because the time of block creating would be taken in account. So i dont see where a security risk is. But im not into the techniques of the net. Care to elaborate whats the risk? Smiley

kjj
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 02:50:52 PM

I learned that there is already a coin age. Im not sure but its the time when a transaction for a satoshi was made the last time. So assuming that after 99years without a transaction the btc are abandoned the network could say they vanish. How could this be used to steal money? I mean it would be a rule in the net that btc that are older than 99years at one place vanish. The coin age cant be faked because the time of block creating would be taken in account. So i dont see where a security risk is. But im not into the techniques of the net. Care to elaborate whats the risk? Smiley

We don't want our coins stolen, not after a day, not after 99 years, not after a million years.  We will not support a change to the protocol that would allow that.

The only way that coins can be spent is by signing a transaction for them using the private key.  The network will never allow any other way to spend coins.  If you feel strongly about stealing coins, feel free to create your own network.  Plenty of others have done so, and no one uses any of them.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 02:57:52 PM

Care to elaborate whats the risk?
The risk is that some miners won't want to use this new protocol that you are designing, and some users won't want to use it either.  Then you will have some miners and users using the old protocol and some miners and users using the new protocol.  Both will probably want to draw on the brand recognition of the "bitcoin" name by calling their protocol "Bitcoin".  By changing the protocol in this way you are creating a new coin type. Should your new coin type that isn't bitcoin be called bitcoin just because you want it to be?

Of course miners won't stop minting new coin until the year 2139, 127 years from now, so none of us really need to worry about it.  If Bitcoin becomes popular enough to be in widespread use by then, they can decide for themselves how they want to deal with the deflationary nature of the coin.
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 03:03:48 PM

Soon we will mine old addresses with coins in them Cheesy. But computers need to get faster than what they are now.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 03:19:52 PM

Soon we will mine old addresses with coins in them Cheesy. But computers need to get faster than what they are now.
Define "soon".  No matter how fast computers get, this won't happen until/unless someone finds a weakness in the key and hashing algorithms that allows shortcuts to solving.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: