Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:46:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Legal issues State to State  (Read 1119 times)
Sourgummies (OP)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

Never ending parties are what Im into.

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 09:31:13 PM

Presuming right now that running into trouble with the law is only a American thing,please correct me if this is wrong.
So is there a list of the States that oppose bitcoin or have even run people into trouble and vice versa,those that are ok with it?

Also has anyone run into trouble with border security over bitcoin?

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jeffthebaker
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1034

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 12:16:50 AM

There is nothing you have to worry about as an average Bitcoin user in regards to legality. There are some areas where special licensing is required for Bitcoin based start ups, but absolutely nothing that outlaws Bitcoin usage for individuals (outside of performing activities that are illegal with USD, like buying drugs.)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 04:18:09 AM

Presuming right now that running into trouble with the law is only a American thing,please correct me if this is wrong.
So is there a list of the States that oppose bitcoin or have even run people into trouble and vice versa,those that are ok with it?

Thanks

No the problems with some states are with exchanges in most cases.  Some states are so hard that exchanges choose not to operate in some states.

As far as being owner of BTC no worries as far as us.  And if you are worried encrypt your entire PC.
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2015, 05:15:42 AM

Here's some detail on how USA States treat bitcoin - most have no official opinion, NC has added legislation making it more difficult for transmitters (i.e., "banks") of the currency to do business, but this doesn't (at this point) affect owners of the currency.

http://www.wtvm.com/story/29149594/north-carolina-considers-law-regulating-virtual-currencies

Additionally, I believe the IRS is writing guidelines on how to report bitcoin gains on tax filings, treating it as an asset.

Get involved, we could use some one new owning some bitcoin!

ikydesu

Activity: 686

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2015, 06:53:17 AM

-snip-

Thanks

In my country, using bitcoin is not legal, but not ilegal. You can use bitcoin but the gov never suggest this and don't have responsibility with it.
I don't have any trouble, yet.

Like @notlist3d said, the exchanger is the one of trouble too.
Nowi

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 05:39:26 PM

-snip-

Thanks

In my country, using bitcoin is not legal, but not ilegal. You can use bitcoin but the gov never suggest this and don't have responsibility with it.

Same like in my country. And I don't need to deal with it. But there is one problem with taxation from selling bitcoins, when I send it to "regular" account with "regular" currency, becouse bitcoin has not prize for the goverment. So there are few ways how I can tax it, but maybe not every is the right for the goverment.

Sourgummies (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 06:16:09 PM

Must have confused other issues involving btc like mentioned exchanges. Thanks for the responses.
Sourgummies (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 06:37:48 PM

I should have done a better search...found what I was kind of looking for in this thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1074520.0

Its a thread on bitcoin members running into issues,if any one wants a looksy.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 06:50:39 PM

this is very useful https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1052222.0

also wikipedia can help you https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_bitcoin_by_country
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 09:26:18 PM

I should have done a better search...found what I was kind of looking for in this thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1074520.0

Its a thread on bitcoin members running into issues,if any one wants a looksy.

None of those who are in the thread were just users.  Your looking at exchanges to scams in there.  Exchanges is a BIG deal if you don't comply with states laws as it could be considered money laundering.  But unless you are a exchange or doing something like localbitcoins selling you don't need to worry about it.

And some of those are dealing with "bad" things.  The first one who was sentenced Charlie Shrim (sorry if spelled wrong) was running an exchange without all the proper regulations.  Some of the BTC from exchange was used for silkroad type stuff.... instant target after that. 

So don't do anything stupid with coins, and don't be a exchange and your safe as far as us.
ikydesu

Activity: 686

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2015, 12:33:56 PM

-snip-

Thanks

Same like in my country. And I don't need to deal with it. But there is one problem with taxation from selling bitcoins, when I send it to "regular" account with "regular" currency, becouse bitcoin has not prize for the goverment. So there are few ways how I can tax it, but maybe not every is the right for the goverment.

Well, until now i don't need to pay a tax when i used bitcoin, i just need to pay fees with my local currency on my local bitcoin exchanger, maybe it could be my tax and fees for the exchanger at once IMHO.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 04:58:44 AM

-snip-

Thanks

Well, until now i don't need to pay a tax when i used bitcoin, i just need to pay fees with my local currency on my local bitcoin exchanger, maybe it could be my tax and fees for the exchanger at once IMHO.

I think in future when we have more acceptance taxes will come in many places.  Right now it's exchanges making sure they are legal is where most countries/states have started.

Taxes are not necessary bad it means we reach a point where BTC is well known.  And hopefully BTC will grow in value.
PenguinFire

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

That Darn Cat

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 05:09:49 AM

Unless you plan on opening up a bitcoin exchange or business you don't have anything to worry about.  These laws only describe what bitcoin is considered in the particular state.

azguard
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Crypto-News.net: News from Crypto World

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 08:45:18 AM

In my country they count it as additional income and they takes some provision for it that depends from bank to bank from 1-3% and it takes up to 7 working days for money to be on account.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄██████████████████▄
       ▄████████████████████████▄
 ▄▄  ▄████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████████▄
 ▀▀█████████████████████████████████▄
   ██████████████████████████████████
   ▀████████████████████████████████▀
    ▀██████████████████████████████▀