Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 06:59:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC vs. Monero  (Read 4202 times)
slap

Activity: 564
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 05:20:33 PM

Noob question, trying to understand, pls be gentle on me...

I think btc is here to stay, xmr (bought in half a year ago) has nice features...
Does ethereum fit in here?I feel it could become something sweet.
Any random thoughts?

ps nice topic
americanpegasus

Activity: 770

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 05:33:03 PM

I'm not going to quote your entire essay Nxtblg, but that was beautiful.  I'm going to use that parable about the thousand dollar bills going forward; thank you.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
trinaldao
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

Post your ann & bounty just contact me

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2015, 05:42:00 PM

Bitcoin Is Gold
Litecoin Is silver
MOnero Is :poop: Huh  Cheesy

you can continue discussion at reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3eqk9s/question_about_monero_vs_bitcoin/

INVALID BBCODE: close of unopened tag in table (1)
kekek

Activity: 177
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 05:45:40 PM

Monero will go to 78,4$ according to MACD then back to 34$ and stabilize around 47,3$ if bitcoin stays above 290$

what kind of money is this?
is this like 0.784$usd and 0.34$usd?

It's actually $0.000784 and $0.00034

Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2015, 10:36:06 PM

I'm not going to quote your entire essay Nxtblg, but that was beautiful.  I'm going to use that parable about the thousand dollar bills going forward; thank you.

Thanks a lot yourself!! Feel more than free to swipe whatever you like from it.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2015, 02:30:08 AM
Last edit: July 29, 2015, 02:56:04 AM by generalizethis

How many monero do I have? I guess someone can tie me up and beat me with a rubber hose, but they'll get my bank account info, cash, and precious metals, my wife, my dog..... There's no preventing this attack whatever coin you use. But as far as being a monero supporter marks me, who knows how many I have and if it would be worth the trouble to beat me? If you are worried, don't post on monero threads and that is that.

The amount of your assets can be determined off the blockchain as well and would likely be investigated just like with btc. The point I am trying to make is using a coin specifically intended for better privacy does place you in the camp of users who are likely interested in better privacy which may expose you to extra scrutiny.

But as far as being a monero supporter marks me, who knows how many I have and if it would be worth the trouble to beat me? If you are worried, don't post on monero threads and that is that.

Not a very useful currency if you cannot advertise that you accept it and don't ask to pay In it and don't discuss it openly.

I agree with your first point--my point is that any currency can suffer this fate if it is viewed as "unwanted" by TPTB--it isn't a matter of group size as the Nazis proved with wealth seizures and the US government proved with gold bans. The only thing a privacy coin can do is be private on chain, the rest is up to you. In this case i can create an off-chain wallet and fill it with coins bought through I2p/tor using best practices (not revealing an IP) and no one will know the asset I hold or how much. Asking any more of a privacy coin is asking it to control the human actions involved too.

The second point misses that black market channels will still be available, and if we are living in this type of draconian control environment, many will only use monero as a wealth protecting asset. The fact that this kind of environment is being talked about as normal (even being taken for granted) should give some insight on how far we've come to the Orwellian idea of thought criminals--asset criminals isn't that big of a step towards the quicksand of full-fledged control systems.

NattyLiteCoin

Activity: 912
Merit: 1021

If you don’t believe, why are you here?

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 02:50:24 AM

There seems to be some xmr hedge against litecoin on poloniex for some reason I will never understand. A trader I am not, any good reason for a pump on the horizon? Just curious.

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
    ███▀                   ▀███
   ███   ███           ███   ███
  ███     ███         ███     ███
 ███       ███       ███       ███
 ███     ██████     ██████     ███
 ███        ████   ████        ███
 ███     █████████████████     ███
 ███         ███▄ ▄███         ███
  ███         ███████         ███
   ███▄        █████        ▄███
    ████▄       ███       ▄████
     ▀█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▀
       ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀███████▀▀
  25X FASTER THAN BITCOIN, LIGHTNING NETWORK & ATOMIC SWAPS  
  TWITTER          TELEGRAM          REDDIT          DISCORD          MEDIUM          LINKEDIN  
          ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
       ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀███████▀▀
G2M

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Activity: 616

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 03:03:37 AM

Provided you don't require much of a trading position in Monero, it is not unhealthy to notice certain trading patterns and act accordingly.

A 10% gain in litecoin this past week yields about a 7-7.5% gain in XMR for an individual, for which XMR would also gain immensely from an increased trading volume in turn.

Not sure about next week though, as I'm not feeling that ballsy Grin

Wind picked up: F4BC1F4BC0A2A1C4

banditryandloot goin2mars kbm keyboard-mash theusualstuff

probably a few more that don't matter for much.
NattyLiteCoin

Activity: 912
Merit: 1021

If you don’t believe, why are you here?

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 03:26:10 AM

Just caught my attention, may be a small opportunity here. I'll keep my eye on it. Peace.

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
       ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀███████▀▀
  25X FASTER THAN BITCOIN, LIGHTNING NETWORK & ATOMIC SWAPS  
  TWITTER          TELEGRAM          REDDIT          DISCORD          MEDIUM          LINKEDIN  
          ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
       ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀███████▀▀
americanpegasus

Activity: 770

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 03:59:39 AM

Thanks a lot yourself!! Feel more than free to swipe whatever you like from it.

Done.  Thanks for the inspiration; feel free to piggy back off my words as well.   Cheesy 

You see this? This is a thousand dollar gold certificate. Back during the roaring 1920's you could take five of these and buy just about any property you wanted. No bank was involved, and besides stirring up some local chatter, no one even needed to know about it. Hell, five of them didn't even make a noticeable bulge in your wallet. You know what that was? Freedom, true freedom, of money.

What we have now? Every dollar of what we earn is tracked and scrutinized by governments and corporations, each step designed to make sure we only spend money in the ways they approve of... Living under the threat that at any moment if we are even *suspected* of a crime the powers that be can swoop in and confiscate every cent we own.

That's not freedom. That's not even close.

But technology is about to change all that. The Internet gave us back true freedom of information for the first time in centuries, and now cryptocurrency is about to give us back true freedom of money as well.

Banks, corporations, and governments know they stand to lose a lot of power with decentralized digital money like bitcoin and Monero, so you can expect they won't be thrilled about its rise.

But the most powerful thing on Earth isn't a corporation or government.

It's an idea whose time has come.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2015, 03:59:55 PM

Done.  Thanks for the inspiration; feel free to piggy back off my words as well.   

All righty! I hope that narrative works out for Monero and you.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: