Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:03:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a social norm in America that you feel is ridiculous?  (Read 698 times)
krenare (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 04:10:07 PM

Social norms that are deemed acceptable, not "what I think is wrong with america".
What do you dislike in the life here in the USA but were not ready to express your opinion.
I know that many social norms are not acceptable but who is ready to tell us which?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
albalinux

Activity: 16

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 04:10:49 PM

No bike lanes and our sidewalks are crap.
KriszDev

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 04:13:23 PM

Social norms that are deemed acceptable, not "what I think is wrong with america".
What do you dislike in the life here in the USA but were not ready to express your opinion.
I know that many social norms are not acceptable but who is ready to tell us which?

Adults wearing "kid's clothing" like American Eagle and Abercrombie and Fitch.

Obesity in general.

Overconsumption of media (with average American spending 40 hours per week in front of some type of screen).
abasin

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 04:14:40 PM

That drugs are bad.
rio3232

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 04:17:03 PM

That drugs are bad.

I would say the misconception between drug use and drug abuse

..we have a normal understanding that most people who drink alcohol are not addicts, but we do not hold this same understanding for illegal drugs. We make little to no distinction between drug users and drug addicts
peterson33

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 04:21:06 PM

One of the social norms that's embedded in our culture which bugs me because I can't seem to break myself of the habit is when I want to express empathy for someone who is grieving, or suffered some kind of tragedy, is saying, "I'll pray for you".

I don't believe prayer does anything, except for the person doing the prayer. It also bugs me when somebody says they will pray for me. I know they mean well, but it's a useless phrase. I know a more appropriate response would be to say, "you're in my thoughts" or just letting me know they are there if I need someone to talk to.

There are so many social shorthands like these that we take for granted that really don't mean anything other than a social courtesy, and most all of them are rooted in a religious context. We say these things out of reflex, especially to total strangers.

Sort of like when Southerners say "bless your heart" to someone, what they're really saying is, you're a real idiot aren't you?
godlyitems

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 04:27:12 PM

We have become even more prudish about being uncovered than we were in the 70's 80's and 90's. Folks are treating the human body as visually offensive in ways and degrees they did not in my youth. I am not talking about the 'full monty' either. I am talking about jogging without shirt, or being nude in locker rooms or feeling like if you are overweight you, have to wear a tank top in a public pool.
Riniojet

Activity: 37

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 04:28:19 PM

That drugs are bad.

I would say the misconception between drug use and drug abuse

..we have a normal understanding that most people who drink alcohol are not addicts, but we do not hold this same understanding for illegal drugs. We make little to no distinction between drug users and drug addicts

Incredible. Simply beyond belief. Are you two really Cheech & Chong? A doper is a doper.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 04:30:16 PM

Every night on TV one can see a disgusting autopsy, homicide, rape, sadistic serial killer victim; but show a nipple or an ass (things we all have) and it's branded so obscene that someone has to get fired. And we wonder why we are such a violent society.  Roll Eyes

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Valonib

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 04:30:53 PM

Incredible. Simply beyond belief. Are you two really Cheech & Chong? A doper is a doper.

At what point does one become a "doper"?
Ilirix

Activity: 27

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 04:31:47 PM

How cursing is considered a big deal. Curse words are just words, and nobody needs to be sheltered from them. Though it seems like as the older generation dies off, this is improving.

How sexual things in the media are considered more serious than violence. Cutting a head off? PG-13, but showing a breast? You get an R rating now.
Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2015, 05:24:35 PM

The general attraction to over consumption - of food, of things, of self celebration, of media, of entertainment that contains zero value or relevance in the world (like most reality television).

The over consumption is nauseating to watch.

toddtervy

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2015, 02:54:40 AM

The people act real stupid thing too much drugs...

Get off my c@ck !
toddtervy

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2015, 03:19:58 AM

How about piercings.  Is it me or are they bunch a weirdos get themselves pierced...  I just pretend it doesn't look like a really nasty, dumb idea when I see this.

Get off my c@ck !
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
July 18, 2015, 04:19:04 AM

People putting up with and actually thinking they like ... bad coffee ...
MakingMoneyHoney

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 18, 2015, 04:41:18 AM

Way too much food in restaurants. I always have leftovers and the serving sizes are too large, it is probably a large help in keeping people eating too much. The portions should be smaller along with the prices. If someone wants more they can order more. But there's no reason the smallest meal is more than one serving.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2015, 05:53:09 AM

Monogamy.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
linenoise

Activity: 304
Merit: 290

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2015, 05:58:10 AM

anytime someone dies and I hear someone say 'he's in a better place'.  If the person truly believes that then why don't they kill themselves? It's way too common, even the fast + furious 7 song has that phrase.

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2015, 06:13:26 AM

anytime someone dies and I hear someone say 'he's in a better place'.  If the person truly believes that then why don't they kill themselves? It's way too common, even the fast + furious 7 song has that phrase.
George Carlin has a great bit about this, he talks about how we always imagine our loved ones smiling down us, but points out that half of em are in hell, so it's just as likely that they're screaming up at us from below.

Religion is beyond insane.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
MakingMoneyHoney

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 18, 2015, 01:11:39 PM

Because our time is up when God says it is. We are not to commit suicide and decide for him. However, if God has decided this is the time, heaven is a much better place than earth.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: