Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:09:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC-E crash to $150!  (Read 6054 times)
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 18, 2015, 03:53:13 PM

this once again shows that it pays off to place low buy orders. it's the second time btc-e had an insane flash crash. it wasn't much but i managed to buy 1 btc at $200  Grin
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
willope

Activity: 366
Merit: 261

View Profile
July 18, 2015, 04:50:48 PM

When I saw it the first time, I was afraid if there was a bug in the blockchain. Shocked

But it was just Mr. 102.  Wink

this once again shows that it pays off to place low buy orders. it's the second time btc-e had an insane flash crash. it wasn't much but i managed to buy 1 btc at $200  Grin
So, you just made 70$ profit. How much did you wait for it?

Go get a job instead of wasting ur time with scams
inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
July 18, 2015, 04:55:37 PM

if you are worried about price on a day to day or even monthly basis you probably should not be involved

Except the price tanked by an amount that only happens at a monthly timescale under normal circumstances

A few thousand coins market sold into an bidside with no depth is just giving money to those with low lying speculative bids.

Glancing at the other exchanges, they unsurprisingly do not show the same volatility (bitfinex -1%).

Such extreme market moves simply move clients away from smaller exchanges to those with decent volume and orderbook depth.

BlindMayorBitcorn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
July 18, 2015, 05:54:15 PM

just mr102 back for more fun

nothing to worry about, and it will forgotten before the weekend ends

Is this code for Mircea Popescu?

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 18, 2015, 06:18:22 PM

BTC-e hit $102 with a 4000 coin sell in Feb 2014 when it was $600 ish elsewhere. I think it nearly cleared the order book. That joint marches to the beat of a different drum.
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 18, 2015, 09:24:00 PM

man, the chart is really annoying to look at now Tongue Just one huge spike and no details of the day -.-
tss

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 05:19:47 AM

BTC-e hit $102 with a 4000 coin sell in Feb 2014 when it was $600 ish elsewhere. I think it nearly cleared the order book. That joint marches to the beat of a different drum.

mr102 was a real event as tons of buy orders all the way down got filled.  
this seems more strange as there aren't many people celebrating getting cheap coin.  

in my opinion, from one side, it is a marketing trick to get people to get money into btc-e and keep it there without actually buying coin speculating a big drop. from the other, just theft and abuse of knowing who has what orders in and where. 

remember, its all funny money until you withdraw.
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 01:50:32 PM

this seems more strange as there aren't many people celebrating getting cheap coin.  

I recall a fair bit of crowing when people got their lowball bids filled with the 102 event.
BlindMayorBitcorn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 02:01:03 PM

I recall a fair bit of crowing when people got their lowball bids filled with the 102 event.

Some guy on BTC-e claimed he had a 35 BTC buy fill yesterday at 180. He was positively giddy about it Cheesy

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
I E

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

💎 💎 💎 💎 💎

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 03:46:20 PM

$150 not good at all.

Let me know if you want to earn BTC.
betterangels

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 09:19:31 PM

thousand$ in fees?
Sage

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 08:08:59 AM

Any BTC-E employees, or someone on the inside, blow the whistle.

What happened to allow a crash to 150 on LOW VOLUME?

Also, anybody with open orders in BTC-E before this event I want to know if anything fishy showed up.  Were your open orders honored in the deep crash positions?
xenofanesSkarak

Activity: 103

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 11:43:08 AM
Last edit: July 20, 2015, 11:56:48 AM by xenofanesSkarak

Some guy on BTC-e claimed he had a 35 BTC buy fill yesterday at 180. He was positively giddy about it Cheesy

might be possible. But you would have to have a waiting order, otherwise you could not catch it mannually. I was working on PC at that time so I saw it from the beginning. I tried to buy cheap BTC through MT4 but it was tricky since you got filled by completely different and much worse price and only by very small parts and finally I couldnot get out from the trade by any means. The pain lasted for 2 hours and the result was only a few USD profit. And unfortunately I didnot delete old order to sell when price drops under 200 (which caused me huge loss) so I think the drop could be caused also by some (old?) orders from other people which were left on some robots which are connected through API, so robots might started to sell BTC once price dropped.

I dont feel good about things which are hapenning at BTCe , especially when price is almost all the time 10 USD or more different from other exchanges. I wanted to move all my money from MT4 unfortunately BTCe web page is unavailable and without acces to their web I think I cannot send them request. Of course their support never responded so its useless to ask them, I think.
If anyone is interested about their MT4 write me PM, I can tell you more details.
At the beginning I liked their offer with MT4 however in last months it got spoilied, you cannot make big trades, you got bad filling, I wouldnot be surprised if they "group" users according to criterias, so I probably see different price than other users, strange is when price moves almost exactly according to your waiting orders (like it touches for a moment exactly your SL etc]  not to mention that MT4 price is completely different from other exchanges like OK coin so everytime you have to work separately with different numbers. It seems to me, they allow you only to make very tiny profit like 10 USd but once you try to get more you are faced with many obstacles. But if you dont set up SL or TP then you risk huge loss on moves like which were on weekend. So the only possibility is unfortunately to go away or you can blame only yourselves.
Unfortunately, I think MT4 on BTCe is a classic model of relationship broker - customer where customers profit is loss for broker, so broker takes care of "profitable" customers? Or is it not like this?
Romanko

Activity: 325

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 11:59:57 AM

When I woke up today and saw the on ZeroBlock app BTC went low at 150$ first reaction was a shock Shocked
started to point at other exchangers but everything there was fine there with price jumps.
just a little correction..btc-e is always lower a few bucks then the others..
I c no point of getting rid of coins for such a low price but a simple human mistake) or a bot mistake Grin
phoenix1

Activity: 798

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 12:06:14 PM

i think it's pretty obvious that this was a bear raid to trigger stops in a thin market. Someone smashed it down, triggering stop-losses and picked up a bunch of cheap coins. Yes, some standing buy orders will have been filled, and a few lucky people got some cheap coins too, but overall mostly people got raped and one entity made a huge profit.
All happened too quickly for any new orders to be placed.

Was it done with inside knowledge of the order book? Quite possiblly, but we will never know. Could easily have been the exchange itself.

I don't buy any 'fat-finger' theories. Rape and pillage much more likely IMO - this is Bitcoin ...

Just my 2c

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves"  - Confucius (China 551BC-479 BC)
Romanko

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 12:17:51 PM

i think it's pretty obvious that this was a bear raid to trigger stops in a thin market. Someone smashed it down, triggering stop-losses and picked up a bunch of cheap coins. Yes, some standing buy orders will have been filled, and a few lucky people got some cheap coins too, but overall mostly people got raped and one entity made a huge profit.
All happened too quickly for any new orders to be placed.

Was it done with inside knowledge of the order book? Quite possiblly, but we will never know. Could easily have been the exchange itself.

I don't buy any 'fat-finger' theories. Rape and pillage much more likely IMO - this is Bitcoin ...

Just my 2c

Your theory sounds more realistic if it brought some income for bears) I cannot see the volume statistics there that were bought/sold at that time  point. It was done overnight when most of traders from East European countries were asleep. And besides btc-e is currently down.
Maybe they are facing some security issues or being under ddos attack. Hope we will hear some explinations from them soon.
phoenix1

Activity: 798

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 12:27:48 PM

Your theory sounds more realistic if it brought some income for bears) I cannot see the volume statistics there that were bought/sold at that time  point. It was done overnight when most of traders from East European countries were asleep. And besides btc-e is currently down.
Maybe they are facing some security issues or being under ddos attack. Hope we will hear some explinations from them soon.

It did bring a lot of income for 1 player. By 'bear raid' I mean the direction of the action was down, triggering stop losses on longs and hoovering up the coins at lower prices. That we are now back at the same price is exactly what the initiator expected. Call it a 'smash-n-grab' if you prefer Wink
Don't see why it matters what time of day it was done.
FYI on btc-e the volume showed approx 10k transacted at the time.

Don't expect to hear anything soon from BTC-e - they are not exactly forthcoming with information. And I would not trust their explanation anyway unless it was accompanied by a reversal of trades/compensaton for losses, and that ain't gonna happen. Words are cheap ...

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves"  - Confucius (China 551BC-479 BC)
Romanko

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 12:36:42 PM

FYI on btc-e the volume showed approx 10k transacted at the time.

Don't expect to hear anything soon from BTC-e - they are not exactly forthcoming with information. And I would not trust their explanation anyway unless it was accompanied by a reversal of trades/compensaton for losses, and that ain't gonna happen. Words are cheap ...

then it was quite profitable for the investor Wink

By the way there is a message on their official twitter that they are handling with some network issues in the data centre.
https://twitter.com/btcecom/status/616515267028484096
xenofanesSkarak

Activity: 103

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 02:04:37 PM

When I woke up today and saw the on ZeroBlock app BTC went low at 150$ first reaction was a shock Shocked
started to point at other exchangers but everything there was fine there with price jumps.
just a little correction..btc-e is always lower a few bucks then the others..
I c no point of getting rid of coins for such a low price but a simple human mistake) or a bot mistake Grin

but BTCe is down from the morning what is very bad. Hope it is just DDoS. And I have problems to operate with my BTCe account through zeroblock or other platforms. Do you also have unaccessible BTCe?
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 02:09:18 PM

but BTCe is down from the morning what is very bad. Hope it is just DDoS. And I have problems to operate with my BTCe account through zeroblock or other platforms. Do you also have unaccessible BTCe?

Looks like a hosting problem rather than ddos. https://twitter.com/btcecom
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: