Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:36:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First look at BFL's ASIC hardware (PCB & enclosure renders)  (Read 2734 times)
enmaku (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 06:10:22 PM

http://codinginmysleep.com/first-look-at-bfls-asic-hardware/
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Desolator

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 06:21:36 PM

isn't that their old bitforce single which is also called a bitforce single?  I've never seen the PCB on the FPGA one but that exterior is identical. If it's the real one, it does beg the question, how did you get your hands on it? Does BFL just love you so much? Tongue It doesn't make sense that they'd launch it to a blog instead of the main bitcoin forums where everyone is.  not to mention, their own facebook page or their own website.

Speaking of that, this is the jalapeno chassis:

enmaku (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 06:37:07 PM

how did you get your hands on it? Does BFL just love you so much? Tongue It doesn't make sense that they'd launch it to a blog instead of the main bitcoin forums where everyone is.  not to mention, their own facebook page or their own website.

It basically boils down to this:

There was some controversy over one of BFL's execs, Sonny Vleisides that was casting doubts on the company itself and whether the ASICs even existed. I had an interview with Sonny in which this and bunch of other still-secret stuff was shown to me. While no single piece of info was conclusive, the combined weight of the bits I was shown convinced me pretty thoroughly that they did exist and I published something to that effect. The levels of bile and vitriol that resulted were absolutely insane, with people calling me a "paid shill" and even accusing me of being Sonny himself. So why did I get to publish this first? Basically because Sonny felt bad about the treatment I'd received for giving them a public thumbs-up.

I also suspect that I may just be better at driving traffic, though that's one secret I'm sure BFL will never confirm or deny.  Grin
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 06:58:18 PM

isn't that their old bitforce single which is also called a bitforce single?  I've never seen the PCB on the FPGA one but that exterior is identical.

That'll be the single SC alright, very nice.
The single, most identifiably, would have just two large FPGA pads taking up most of the PCB.

so if the single uses 8 chips, and Jally (presubably) one, then I guess the chip must work at half speed in the Jally.
(40/8=5GH/s per chip)
dlasher

Activity: 467

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 07:36:13 PM

Archived just in case : http://imgur.com/a/TW0Tt

enmaku (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 07:42:01 PM

so if the single uses 8 chips, and Jally (presubably) one, then I guess the chip must work at half speed in the Jally.

I don't think I'd be giving too much away or violating any trust to say that BFL's primary goal with the Jalapeno is power consumption, so lowered clock speed and less chips wouldn't be too far-fetched of an assumption.
Desolator

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 07:47:34 PM

The single, most identifiably, would have just two large FPGA pads taking up most of the PCB.

(40/8=5GH/s per chip)

Oh, I see.  I have indeed seen photos of it then:

That is significantly different.  SO SHINY and decentralized heat Cheesy

btw I found another picture of a butterfly lab lol

dlasher

Activity: 467

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 11:20:48 PM

isn't that their old bitforce single which is also called a bitforce single?  I've never seen the PCB on the FPGA one but that exterior is identical.

(40/8=5GH/s per chip)

Or they're using a higher version of a chip in the SC than the Jally.

Desolator

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 03:39:19 PM

But they're really, really fast at any level!  Asics' own website even claims that when you add asics, it makes you run really, really fast lol.
http://www.asicsamerica.com/sports/running/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: