Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 05:47:57 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sites not allowing web wallets  (Read 414 times)
PenguinFire (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

That Darn Cat

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 03:22:27 AM

Why is it some online bitcoin related services do not allow transfers from web wallets?  Why is it different?  I was just curious and have been here awhile and I have never seen someone ask that question.

subSTRATA
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043

:^)

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 03:24:15 AM

in web wallets like xapo, your deposit address or "xapo address" isnt in its separate wallet, and may have others' addresses included as outputs when sending funds. some services use those listed outputs as a return address, so there is no guarantee your funds will be sent back to your address.

theres nothing here. message me if you want to put something here.
PenguinFire (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

That Darn Cat

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 03:32:36 AM

in web wallets like xapo, your deposit address or "xapo address" isnt in its separate wallet, and may have others' addresses included as outputs when sending funds. some services use those listed outputs as a return address, so there is no guarantee your funds will be sent back to your address.

Oh, interesting.  I didn't expect the answer to be not so simple.  I remember one site I visited awhile back mentioned something about all the address for a particular service are similar and someone hacking would allow them not to receive payment, even after so many confirmations.

bitbaby

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2015, 05:04:38 AM

This and it's same with coinbase, I have only seen that warning on on-chain gambling sites where if you win, your winnings are sent to the same address you sent the bet from (for ex. Bettingblocks.com) and since you don't control the address you sent from whilst sending from Coinbase or Xapo you'll end up losing your coins but you can use a web wallet ( if you must) like blockchain info where you can use the same address to send and receive coins.

Even if a site is not warning about that it is always advised to use an address that you control when you send coins to any Exchange, Services, Merchants etc. For if some reason there is a dispute or a problem you can sign an address and prove the ownership of the address you sent from. You cannot do that from Coinbase or Xapo.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: