Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 03:34:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How good is trezzor wallet  (Read 4214 times)
subwoofer12

Activity: 251
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 05:26:18 AM

Even a watch stops ticking...any thoughts on how Trezor keeps ticking?
http://superuser.com/questions/376498/what-is-the-secret-behind-the-non-volatile-effect-of-the-flash-memories
tss

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 05:48:45 AM

I love mine, works great and gives you peace of mind. I think it is one of the best hardware wallets because software actually supports it!

i agree with this.  trezor is a great piece of hardware with great software support.  
i use it as a "warm" wallet.  
any significant btc holdings still go to very cold storage on encrypted paper wallets.

lmk if you have better advice.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 06:33:48 AM

I have paper wallets in my safety deposit box.

I have some in a coinbase account.

I have some in a blockchain.info hot wallet.

WHYYYYYYYYYYY?

A safety deposit box is the same as a bank account. You don't control it..the bank ultimately does.

Coinbase? Why not just keep your money with Paypal?

Blockchain.info hot wallet? WHYYYYYYYYYY?

Mycelium phone wallet for day-to-day purchases. Trezor for long term, but accessible. Paper wallets printed securely and stored somewhere OTHER THAN A BANK FOR GOD'S SAKE for long-long term.

I am amazed by the lack of foresight in some people. No offense.

i think he is talking about a safebox in his house, he can control it easily if he know the combination

mycelium isn't even the ebst for androind, "bitcoin wallet" is

trezor have not a real purpose is a gimmick device, why i should waste 120, that can be used to purchase almost 0.5 btc, and instead buying a $4 usb that can do the same basically, ok there isn't offline signing, but you have that with armory or electrum...
Somekindabitcoin

Activity: 518

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 06:36:01 AM

I've considered buying an electronic wallet like Trezzor before but

a) I don't have enough BTC to care that much
b) Im paranoid about electronic devices and trust more a BIP38 (a paper wallet with a password) than something thats prone to failure, needs updates etc.

So far I do this.

I have paper wallets in my safety deposit box.

I have some in a coinbase account.

I have some in a blockchain.info hot wallet.

I have a node with an empty wallet.

That's a good decision to put them into your safety deposit box. Nice idea! Smiley
harrymmmm

Activity: 576
Merit: 503

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 09:06:53 AM

based this vulnerability, http://johoe.mooo.com/trezor-power-analysis/, which was fixed quickly you can say that it's relatively safe, no one know if in the future another hole like that will happen again...

remember that besides the vernam cipher nothing is 100% safe

Even if the logic and mathematics are perfect and the op-sec is good, there can still be implementation details that allow side channel attacks, such as the Trezor power issue. In practice, the Vernam cipher is not 100% safe.

This article from NSA is interesting. https://www.nsa.gov/public_info/_files/cryptologic_spectrum/tempest.pdf

vernam cipher is not 100% safe in practice, not because there is an hole in the cipher or something, but because of the messenger

it's like you have x+18 =y(where 18 is the ciphertext and y is the key that you don't know) how can you solve this? it's impossible without knowing at least the key(y), because x and y could have multiple value

if the messenger of the y is caught and y stolen then yes you can decrypt it, but as i said above it's not because the vernam cipher isn't 100% secure

One time pads (vernam ciphers) are unbreakable because EVERY plain text is a decryption of any given cipher text. This is because the plain text is just XOR'd with the pad to create the cipher text and to break it (determine the pad/key) requires cycling thru keys to get a reasonably plausible plain text. Then you realize you could cycle some more and get another (in fact any) plausible plain text, etc.
You're right that the pads need to be communicated and a failure there is a bad thing.
But the weakness in practice is the reuse of a pad ... the NSA caught the Russian's out doing that and managed to decrypt a whole bunch of messages.
harrymmmm

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 09:14:12 AM

Negatives:
  • The wallet is very small, therefore easy to mis-place, lose, or have stolen if left around
  • It's electronic, so it is vulnerable to a battery wearing out or exposure to water and other elements

If stolen, can it be cracked or are the balances lost forever (if the owner doesn't have the private key held elsewhere)?

1: has seed words
2: can replace with a new unit for seed words (pretty sure battery shouldn't matter as only powered when connected via usb)

If stolen it would need someone to bruteforce the code manually, would take some time. You should be able to enter the seedwords and get the funds out before it happens.

So I could buy 2 set them up as clones and put one in a bank safety deposit box? 
 then if my in house breaks or is stolen I could go to my safety deposit box and access the wallet? 
 if true to both questions and you have a decent amount of coins I would consider buying it.

and if I was buying 2.

I may as well buy 3.

since 2 = 238 usd and 3 = 299 usd

The seed words could be put into your box. Then if your trezor was stolen you can quickly enter the seed into a wallet that supports hd seeds, transfer the bitcoin. Wait for a new trezor to arrive.
harrymmmm

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 09:22:35 AM

I haven't seen any mention of the use of trezor to sign login challenges. It doesn't work on many sites yet, but where it does it's lovely.
No need to store or reuse passwords any more.
HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 09:25:45 AM

It was developed by Czechs. We made engines to German tanks.

Somekindabitcoin

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 09:50:18 AM

Yes, and we are proud of it! It made Czech Republic more famous Tongue
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 10:14:32 AM

based this vulnerability, http://johoe.mooo.com/trezor-power-analysis/, which was fixed quickly you can say that it's relatively safe, no one know if in the future another hole like that will happen again...

remember that besides the vernam cipher nothing is 100% safe

Even if the logic and mathematics are perfect and the op-sec is good, there can still be implementation details that allow side channel attacks, such as the Trezor power issue. In practice, the Vernam cipher is not 100% safe.

This article from NSA is interesting. https://www.nsa.gov/public_info/_files/cryptologic_spectrum/tempest.pdf

vernam cipher is not 100% safe in practice, not because there is an hole in the cipher or something, but because of the messenger

it's like you have x+18 =y(where 18 is the ciphertext and y is the key that you don't know) how can you solve this? it's impossible without knowing at least the key(y), because x and y could have multiple value

if the messenger of the y is caught and y stolen then yes you can decrypt it, but as i said above it's not because the vernam cipher isn't 100% secure

One time pads (vernam ciphers) are unbreakable because EVERY plain text is a decryption of any given cipher text. This is because the plain text is just XOR'd with the pad to create the cipher text and to break it (determine the pad/key) requires cycling thru keys to get a reasonably plausible plain text. Then you realize you could cycle some more and get another (in fact any) plausible plain text, etc.
You're right that the pads need to be communicated and a failure there is a bad thing.
But the weakness in practice is the reuse of a pad ... the NSA caught the Russian's out doing that and managed to decrypt a whole bunch of messages.

if you re-use the key it's clear that you are reducing the security of this method, but that's your fault, the only downside of that ciphers is the key length, not very practical to have a key that is long like the text
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 12:20:10 PM

Yes, and we are proud of it! It made Czech Republic more famous Tongue

yes, actually bitcoin is quite popular here in Czech Republic, I think mainly because of Slush/Stick duo and lot of guys willing to risk, invest and check new technologies.

Even on google trend it is not so bad at all so at least something, in my country, I'm little bit proud off:)
HeroCat

Activity: 658

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 01:12:52 PM

Trezor is probably the best BTC wallet  Wink Safe and enough developed  Smiley
ransomer

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 05:23:35 PM

And still has a lot of safety vulnerabilities that a paper wallet doesn't.
harrymmmm

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 09:18:07 PM

Such as?
Somekindabitcoin

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 09:21:01 PM

Such as?

It can be lost and then there's no way to recover it, I think.
harrymmmm

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 09:33:42 PM

Such as?

How can you make statements like that when you clearly don't know the first thing about trezors?

If it's lost, you use the hd seed you've kept safely and recover the coins to another wallet (trezor, or software).

Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 09:37:36 PM

What happened to the original metallic looking cases for Trezor wallets?

There's a silver metallic version in a pic that keeps floating around...

Somekindabitcoin

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 09:39:44 PM

Such as?

How can you make statements like that when you clearly don't know the first thing about trezors?

If it's lost, you use the hd seed you've kept safely and recover the coins to another wallet (trezor, or software).

What about the guy that took it from you? I think he can brute force it, or no? I read some articles about this.
harrymmmm

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 09:52:37 PM

Such as?

What about the guy that took it from you? I think he can brute force it, or no? I read some articles about this.

He can ... eventually.
Each time he tries a pin that fails, there's an extra wait time added for the next one. Unless you're very unlucky you have plenty of time to move your coins.

UserVVIP

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 09:55:58 PM

Trezor is the ultimate device for security-meets-user friendliness. The device is the best option for maintaining security of your coins without losing the ability to use them as you please.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: