Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 11:34:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: IEEE - The Future of the Web Looks a Lot Like Bitcoin  (Read 495 times)
erpbridge (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 954
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 06:12:52 PM

Just saw this great article over at IEEE which described how the future of web looks a lot like bitcoin . However even that focuses on how the protocol behind it is what matters.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/networks/the-future-of-the-web-looks-a-lot-like-bitcoin

anderson00673

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 06:15:59 PM

Just like the cell phone, cryptotech is slowly integrating into our every day lives.  Now that even the banks are starting to look at it, I think it won't be too long until wide spread adoption begins.  The so called "killer app" will actually just be when the first major bank allows direct trade of bitcoins<->fiat.  It has to happen because of game theory! 
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 06:18:23 PM

Just saw this great article over at IEEE which described how the future of web looks a lot like bitcoin . However even that focuses on how the protocol behind it is what matters.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/networks/the-future-of-the-web-looks-a-lot-like-bitcoin

Eventually the entire internet will be decentralized, if not under the bitcoin blockchain, under something like maidsafe and the meganet stuff by kim dotcom.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 07:21:13 PM

Just like the cell phone, cryptotech is slowly integrating into our every day lives.  Now that even the banks are starting to look at it, I think it won't be too long until wide spread adoption begins.  The so called "killer app" will actually just be when the first major bank allows direct trade of bitcoins<->fiat.  It has to happen because of game theory! 

I'm not 100% with this, but I've been wondering whether the big financial institution that moves first might be the big payment processors (VISA/Mastercard/Unionpay). They have less to lose from adopting bitcoin directly, and they will know that less well informed consumers will trust their brand.

And speaking of brand trust, think about the developing situation with capital controls around the world; this does affect brand perception for these companies, because their product cannot be used in a growing number of nations. They would be wise to begin innovating some kind of hardware wallet or bitcoin denominated card payment system, otherwise there is a risk that some critical mass of consumers begin to (however irrationally) associate the failure of fiat based cards with the payment processors themselves. "This VISA card crap is useless round here, cash and bitcoin seem to be the thing"

Vires in numeris
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 12:18:13 AM

Bitcoin's killer app is certainly not direct trade against fiat by major banks. Bitcoin's killer app is being accepted and used by farmers in large scale, because this would form the foundation of a closed loop BTC-only economy without the need to convert to fiat anymore.

The banks can't do anything about it. They will cease to exist in their current form (which is very good) and will be replaced by fin-tech/insurance companies that will operate on much lower margins because of increased competition. It's not possible to compete against Bitcoin as a transaction system and generate profits at the same time. Bitcoin is too efficient to make that possible.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 12:22:14 AM

I'm not 100% with this, but I've been wondering whether the big financial institution that moves first might be the big payment processors (VISA/Mastercard/Unionpay). They have less to lose from adopting bitcoin directly, and they will know that less well informed consumers will trust their brand.

And speaking of brand trust, think about the developing situation with capital controls around the world; this does affect brand perception for these companies, because their product cannot be used in a growing number of nations. They would be wise to begin innovating some kind of hardware wallet or bitcoin denominated card payment system, otherwise there is a risk that some critical mass of consumers begin to (however irrationally) associate the failure of fiat based cards with the payment processors themselves. "This VISA card crap is useless round here, cash and bitcoin seem to be the thing"

They will move but only when its 100% tested that the blockchain could deal with their current % of transaction volume. At this rate it will take several years since apparently the 8MB increase every 2 year on the blocksize seems the most liked method.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 10:11:00 AM

Just like the cell phone, cryptotech is slowly integrating into our every day lives.  Now that even the banks are starting to look at it, I think it won't be too long until wide spread adoption begins.  The so called "killer app" will actually just be when the first major bank allows direct trade of bitcoins<->fiat.  It has to happen because of game theory!  

They will move but only when its 100% tested that the blockchain could deal with their current % of transaction volume. At this rate it will take several years since apparently the 8MB increase every 2 year on the blocksize seems the most liked method.

I don't agree with that rationale. The potential tx/second for the card system is reduced as more countries are subject to capital controls. So far we have:

• Iceland
  • Venezuela
  • Argentina
  • Greece (all but guaranteed)

Potential near term capital controls:

• Portugal
  • Spain
  • France
  • Italy

Why would they care what the carrying capacity of Bitcoin is, when their own capacity is being diminished anyway?

Vires in numeris
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 11:25:30 AM

That article is huge, I didn't read everything, but it's pretty nice to see a lot of good information on a site such as IEEE Spectrum.
Of course they are more interested in the blockchain and the POW model than Bitcoin itself, but that's pretty nice anyway.

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: