Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 09:48:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to speed up: Bitcoin Core sync?  (Read 25124 times)
Somekindabitcoin (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 09:19:41 PM

I really need help from someone. It's taking so long!
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 09:29:24 PM

Why not download the blockchain via torrent? That usually rips along in comparison.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 09:29:38 PM

Better computer, better Internet connection!

Somekindabitcoin (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 09:33:01 PM

My computer is good, I would say it's more than average.. internet connection is average ( in my country ), it's 4mb/s.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3528
Merit: 6178

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 09:37:19 PM

My computer is good, I would say it's more than average.. internet connection is average ( in my country ), it's 4mb/s.

Well can you make other downloads faster ? you cant , same goes for the Blockchain file . It's basically downloading files so you can't really speedup anything .
You can basically download the torrent file but that won't really increase the spped also download the Bootsrap.dat file isn't recommended anymore for the latest Bitcoin Core versions .
All you can do now is be patient and you will finally get there Grin

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 09:40:27 PM

Nothing can help right now except a faster internet connection. Be sure to use at least version 0.10 (as fast as using bittorrent, download from multiple peers simultaneously)

Vires in numeris
Somekindabitcoin (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 09:40:31 PM

Well can you make other downloads faster ? you cant , same goes for the Blockchain file . It's basically downloading files so you can't really speedup anything .
You can basically download the torrent file but that won't really increase the spped also download the Bootsrap.dat file isn't recommended anymore for the latest Bitcoin Core versions .

The problem is that I think it's so slow, slower than it might be. How big is the thing? It says I have 1 year and about 30 weeks now..
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 09:42:02 PM

The problem is that I think it's so slow, slower than it might be. How big is the file? It says I have 1 year and about 30 weeks now..

That's the amount of history, but it doesn't take 1 year to download 1 year of transaction records. The blockchain is something like 90 GB at the moment. It will take at least until sometime tomorrow, possibly Tuesday.

Vires in numeris
Somekindabitcoin (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 09:45:11 PM

Why not download the blockchain via torrent? That usually rips along in comparison.

Is it even safe to do this kind of stuff? I mean, can't potentional thief put some shits into it and then get my coins?
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 09:48:59 PM

Is it even safe to do this kind of stuff? I mean, can't potentional thief put some shits into it and then get my coins?

You can get it from here https://bitcoin.org/en/download

Sources don't get any more legit than that.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1304

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 09:52:43 PM

Because since 0.10.0 it hasn't been any faster to use the torrent, and often slower.
Somekindabitcoin (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 09:57:13 PM

You can get it from here https://bitcoin.org/en/download

Sources don't get any more legit than that.

Oh I see. Thanks buddy.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 12:21:13 PM

The problem is that I think it's so slow, slower than it might be. How big is the file? It says I have 1 year and about 30 weeks now..

That's the amount of history, but it doesn't take 1 year to download 1 year of transaction records. The blockchain is something like 90 GB at the moment. It will take at least until sometime tomorrow, possibly Tuesday.

Isn't it around 40GB?

https://blockchain.info/charts/blocks-size

I have a 130mb/s connection and a decent computer, it takes something like 3 or 4 days to sync the blockchain...

Somekindabitcoin (OP)

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 12:23:05 PM

Isn't it around 40GB?

I have a 130mb/s connection and a decent computer, it takes something like 3 or 4 days to sync the blockchain...

I meant it shows that transactions done 1 year and some weeks ago will be displayed. It takes so fucking much time.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 03:27:18 PM

Isn't it around 40GB?

I meant it shows that transactions done 1 year and some weeks ago will be displayed. It takes so fucking much time.

Yes, a day or two is perfectly normal. Its ~40 GB after all and that just takes time to get on your machine.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
pissedoff

Activity: 616

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 04:39:00 PM

It relies heavily on your internet download speed. theres no way of increasing it worth while other than uping your download speed.
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 04:40:14 PM

there are three main bottlenecks regarding sync bitcoin core (at least based on my experience)

1* disk I/O - so for speedup you need SSD or totally idle (dedicated) HDD
2* network speed
3* CPU - mobile/low cost processors screaming during initial sync

anyway, strange is, that download 40GB Blockchain takes multiple times more time, than download 40GB game from Origin (BF4), WoW client or four 1080p HD movies from torrent..sadly.
Somekindabitcoin (OP)

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 04:47:36 PM

there are three main bottlenecks regarding sync bitcoin core (at least based on my experience)

2* network speed

anyway, strange is, that download 40GB Blockchain takes multiple times more time, than download 40GB game from Origin (BF4), WoW client or four 1080p HD movies from torrent..sadly.

The last part: True. WoW didn't take me more than 1 day, but this is really long.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 07:20:58 PM

2* network speed

The last part: True. WoW didn't take me more than 1 day, but this is really long.

Well you get WoW from a beefy blizzard server and AFAIK its compressed on top of that. Thus you dont actually download 40GB even though you later use that much space on your disk. The blockchain comes from others with an internet connection like yours. You sometimes get 8 people with a bad connection. You can either sit it out, simply restart and hope for a better connection or specifically connect to a peer with a fast connection by launching bitcoin core with
-connect=IP

e.g. for windows its (example IP is my node)

Code:
c:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe -connect=213.165.91.169 

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
PolarPoint

Activity: 672

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 07:29:45 PM

I think 4M is fast enough for blockchain download. CPU could be the bottleneck for you. The CPU need to verify all the blocks you download and it is a slow process.

How many nodes are you connected to? Anything less than 8 connected nodes is bad. Try adding nodes from your own country in the bitcoin.conf file. It might speed things up:

https://blockchain.info/connected-nodes
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: