Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 02:54:12 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTB] Spanish Language Course...  (Read 583 times)
MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 04:23:31 AM

...for my homeschooled kids & myself.  Prefer something audio based (MP3, or CD that I can rip to MP3).  I've heard good things about "Pimsleur" based courses, but the examples of what I've seen online so far look like a 'book of the month club' scam.  Not opposed to buying your used CD set, as long as it's complete.  I'm looking for practical spoken communications, not a writing or grammer course like I had in high school.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
IamRichard

Activity: 567
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 04:27:31 AM

The Rosetta stone courses are supposedly the best in the world..

http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/7061419/Rosetta_Stone_-_Spanish_(Latin_America)_-_Level_1__2__3__4__5

There you go Wink

13pFg75tp2oyYWnHVJeRPkYmyRfMAWYM5D

If you'd like to donate anything Cheesy
SysRun

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 04:46:39 AM

Rosetta stone is a nice source as well. I. Not going to recommend copyright violation, even though it's commonly pirated through thepiratebay.se, so check out rosettastone.com. It's much more immersive than pimsleur. Not for driving time in the car like pimsleur though.

Good luck!

(edit, I blame all typographical errors on iPad)

Images are not allowed. As your member rank increases, you can use more types of styling in your signature, and your signature can be longer. See the stickies in Meta for more info.
Max 2000; characters remaining: 1781
rastapool

Activity: 423
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 05:00:14 AM

Rosetta is very, very, very bore. You will repeat the same words again and again and again and again. You will spend a lot of time. Around 40-50 hours/level: 200-250 hour hole curse. Yes, you will learn, but you can't learn something, if you spent 250 hours, at any course. And Rosetta needs you around computer: you can't walk and learn.
Pimsleur is really great courses. You need 15 hours at a level / 45 hours hole course (actually you will need more, you will need to repeat some lessons). And Pimsleur is interesting, you can walk and learn, and you will not boring. Pimsleur level 3 is worse than level 1 and 2. Level 3 is about business, meetings, companies, and all that business stuff. If you need that, great, if no, you can drop level 3. Level 1 and 2 really great. Probably after 30 hours of Pimsleur you will know a bit less than after 250 hours of Rosseta, but definitely not 10x times, not even 2x times. Rosetta is not worth it.
After two levels of Pimsleur you can try to find some spanish speakers at livemocha.com and talk with them.
And Pimsleur couses you also can find at TBP.
P. S. And I have not used Pimsleur or Rosetta to learn my English ;)

The parasite hates three things: free markets, free will, and free men.
Napster is down - this is the END of illegal file sharing!
MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 05:52:41 AM

Rosetta is very, very, very bore. You will repeat the same words again and again and again and again. You will spend a lot of time. Around 40-50 hours/level: 200-250 hour hole curse. Yes, you will learn, but you can't learn something, if you spent 250 hours, at any course. And Rosetta needs you around computer: you can't walk and learn.
Pimsleur is really great courses. You need 15 hours at a level / 45 hours hole course (actually you will need more, you will need to repeat some lessons). And Pimsleur is interesting, you can walk and learn, and you will not boring. Pimsleur level 3 is worse than level 1 and 2. Level 3 is about business, meetings, companies, and all that business stuff. If you need that, great, if no, you can drop level 3. Level 1 and 2 really great. Probably after 30 hours of Pimsleur you will know a bit less than after 250 hours of Rosseta, but definitely not 10x times, not even 2x times. Rosetta is not worth it.
After two levels of Pimsleur you can try to find some spanish speakers at livemocha.com and talk with them.
And Pimsleur couses you also can find at TBP.
P. S. And I have not used Pimsleur or Rosetta to learn my English Wink

I agree.  I've demoed Rosetta & TellMeMore, which is similar.  I'm a big fan of computers and what they can accomplish, but we own multiple mp3 players and only one modern computer.  My kids have to do so much on this one machine already that I don't like the idea of another hour per day on an interactive foreign language program. 

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: