Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:38:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Making a physical bitcoin currency using QR codes  (Read 1799 times)
gaiapunk (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 10:54:47 AM

I believe it would be possible to create a secure physical bitcoin currency using QR codes.  Here is how I believe this could be done:

First people would print their own bitcoin denominations that have a special QR code that initially corresponds to their bitcoin address.  People can print bills in any denomination they choose.  A system would have to be set up that allows for the transference of  the encoded qr data once a transaction has been verified.  People will access the QR code through a special bitcoin mobile app that will verify a transfer. Both parties must access this app and the qr code on the bill to confirm the transaction, hence no stealing.

What are people's thoughts on this and has it already been done, and if not, why not?  Lets do it!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2011, 11:01:21 AM

I believe it would be possible to create a secure physical bitcoin currency using QR codes.  Here is how I believe this could be done:

First people would print their own bitcoin denominations that have a special QR code that initially corresponds to their bitcoin address.  People can print bills in any denomination they choose.  A system would have to be set up that allows for the transference of  the encoded qr data once a transaction has been verified.  People will access the QR code through a special bitcoin mobile app that will verify a transfer. Both parties must access this app and the qr code on the bill to confirm the transaction, hence no stealing.

What are people's thoughts on this and has it already been done, and if not, why not?  Lets do it!
Things like this have been discussed. It's just a matter of coding that app and letting people print as they wish.

You may also wish to search for BitBills.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
unemployed

Activity: 336
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2011, 11:07:10 AM

Present bitcoin addresses can be displayed as QR codes.
I think that would be a very convenient custom to publish a QR code near each published text address. An idea for a firefox or chrome extension - displaying QR code after hover over address. Add a cell phone app and it would allow very easy and quick payment by cell phone!

╭═══════ Petlife ═══════╮
   Blockchain in veterinary medicine    │
╰════ https://icopet.life/ ════╯
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 02:49:30 PM

search for BitBills.
Offline...
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2011, 02:52:12 PM

The site, yes, but there's the forum thread.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: