Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:23:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Auction] Casascius 2013 Silver 0.1 MS-68 [1 of 3 known to exist] 2 Day Auction  (Read 1669 times)
LazerViking

Activity: 261
Merit: 103

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 12:43:44 AM

It's up to you and AnalogKid, but it is fine with me.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2015, 12:50:19 AM

Will the extension keep the same bid increments of BTC0.01 or will the bid increments be increased to BTC0.10?

elianite (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1377
Merit: 1134

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2015, 12:58:45 AM

It's up to you and AnalogKid, but it is fine with me.

Will the extension keep the same bid increments of BTC0.01 or will the bid increments be increased to BTC0.10?

Alright; I am announcing an extension.

Ending Date: 07/23/2015 8:00PM EST
Starting Bid: 2.20BTC
Bidding Increments: 0.10BTC

AnalogKid; PM me if you are unsatisfied and I will try to make it right.

New book: BLOCKLAND: 21 Stories of Bitcoin, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrency www.cryptonumist.com/blockland
Author of Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins and Crypto-Currencies. View a free sample and Buy the book at https://cryptonumist.com
To prevent hacks, DO NOT send me BTC above $300 value before first emailing coins@cryptonumist.com to confirm. Beware of scammers on Telegram/Instagram etc.
TheAnalogKid

Activity: 322

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 01:03:51 AM

In that case, it is only fair that we set an extension.

To ensure complete fairness (so that prior bidders have an opportunity etc), i propose a solid 24h extension to 8pm EST tomorrow. Thoughts on this?
No matter which way I respond, I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't. 

If I don't agree to extending the auction and argue that by the stated rules technically I won, I'm perceived a sore winner and a prick because I am seen as trying to preserve an auction win for a coin that sold for even what I agree is a good deal below probable market value.

If I do agree to extend it, I stand a very good chance of losing out on the coin completely.

At any level, I object to a full 24-hour extension.  To me, that feels like the auction didn't end where you wanted the price to, so you're adding on hoping that others will jump in in this extended period and get you more for the coin.  This was an auction.  When you auction, you are gambling and risking both sides - you could get more than you hoped, or you could get less than you hoped.  If you wanted a better guarantee for the former to happen, list the coin for a higher start, and put a reserve in, and make it a 5- or 7- day auction.  That part isn't my fault.

In the end, whether I or anyone else agrees with it or not, it is your auction and your terms.  Do with it what you wish, and I will abide by the decision either way.
Hellot

Activity: 679
Merit: 526

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 01:09:23 AM

To ensure complete fairness (so that prior bidders have an opportunity etc), i propose a solid 24h extension to 8pm EST tomorrow. Thoughts on this?

If I don't agree to extending the auction and argue that by the stated rules technically I won, I'm perceived a sore winner and a prick because I am seen as trying to preserve an auction win for a coin that sold for even what I agree is a good deal below probable market value.

If I do agree to extend it, I stand a very good chance of losing out on the coin completely.

At any level, I object to a full 24-hour extension.  To me, that feels like the auction didn't end where you wanted the price to, so you're adding on hoping that others will jump in in this extended period and get you more for the coin.  This was an auction.  When you auction, you are gambling and risking both sides - you could get more than you hoped, or you could get less than you hoped.  If you wanted a better guarantee for the former to happen, list the coin for a higher start, and put a reserve in, and make it a 5- or 7- day auction.  That part isn't my fault.

In the end, whether I or anyone else agrees with it or not, it is your auction and your terms.  Do with it what you wish, and I will abide by the decision either way.

As an observer here, I agree with TheAnaolgKid,  Extending it 24hours for a 20 minute outage is excessive, but also changing the bidding rules looks just plain shifty.
Panthers52

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

#SuperBowl50 #NFCchamps

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2015, 01:10:06 AM

I would agree with this 100%. I was similarly affected by the forum going down, and my auction did not go the way I was hoping for (even though I agree that both my coin and your coin are worth far more then the high/winning bids), however I honored the terms of my auction.

I think that extending your auction might lead to you get maybe 1 or 2 extra BTC for your coin, however the damage to your reputation will likely be much greater, at least it will be in my eyes.

PGP 827D2A60

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
elianite (OP)
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2015, 01:12:17 AM

I would agree with this 100%. I was similarly affected by the forum going down, and my auction did not go the way I was hoping for (even though I agree that both my coin and your coin are worth far more then the high/winning bids), however I honored the terms of my auction.

I think that extending your auction might lead to you get maybe 1 or 2 extra BTC for your coin, however the damage to your reputation will likely be much greater, at least it will be in my eyes.

I have offered to personally compensate AnalogKid, and hopefully make this right. I want to make sure everyone walks away with the feeling that a fair decision was made.

New book: BLOCKLAND: 21 Stories of Bitcoin, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrency www.cryptonumist.com/blockland
Author of Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins and Crypto-Currencies. View a free sample and Buy the book at https://cryptonumist.com
To prevent hacks, DO NOT send me BTC above $300 value before first emailing coins@cryptonumist.com to confirm. Beware of scammers on Telegram/Instagram etc.
Panthers52

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

#SuperBowl50 #NFCchamps

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2015, 01:14:41 AM

I have offered to personally compensate AnalogKid, and hopefully make this right. I want to make sure everyone walks away with the feeling that a fair decision was made.

I would say that as long as your winning bidder (TheAnalogKid) is happy then I don't see an issue with the auction restarting, however I don't see a scenario where both TheAnalogKid is made happy and you end up as a net in a better situation.

PGP 827D2A60

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2015, 01:31:34 AM

Meh...
I would have just accepted his bid and been done with it. I do not agree with changing the increments and adding 24 hours. I guess if he is good with it, but to me that is lame.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 01:35:10 AM

I think you had misunderstood what I was saying via PM. I was saying that I have seen multiple people honor the original terms of the auction even though unforeseen events made it impossible for additional bidders to bid, resulting in unfavorable prices for sellers, and more favorable prices for the buyer (who placed their bid early)
elianite (OP)
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2015, 01:37:06 AM

I think you had misunderstood what I was saying via PM. I was saying that I have seen multiple people honor the original terms of the auction even though unforeseen events made it impossible for additional bidders to bid, resulting in unfavorable prices for sellers, and more favorable prices for the buyer (who placed their bid early)

If that is indeed the precedent in these sorts of situations, I will honour AnalogKid's bid. I apologise for the confusion

TheAnalogKid

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 02:43:04 AM

Elianite and I settled this via PM, to I believe both our satisfaction.  We negotiated a deal for what I think is a more fair price for the coin, and, more importantly, includes a copy of his upcoming book which I'm quite anxious to see...  Cool

The final price was indeed higher than the auction end, but it will be kept private at both our request.  The next public sale can happily establish the market.  Or not... Grin

As I said in our PM exchanges, the way it ended felt like it was Game 7 of the World Series, one team up 1-0, and the game was declared over in the 8th inning on account of rain.  Not the way you want to end something exciting, as it should have happened.

Elianite is a stand up dude, and I have no issues with him, or the way this was eventually handled.  And no, I'm not saying this because I ended up with the coin either.  Wink

LazerViking

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 02:45:51 AM

I'm cool with it.  No bigee.  Grats on a very nice coin Wink
elianite (OP)
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2015, 02:50:01 AM

As I said in our PM exchanges, the way it ended felt like it was Game 7 of the World Series, one team up 1-0, and the game was declared over in the 8th inning on account of rain.  Not the way you want to end something exciting, as it should have happened.

I'm sure we were all hoping for an interesting sniper-duel in the final seconds.
You were a great sport. Look forward to its safe arrival. Regarding the book; some exciting news is coming out soon! stay tuned Smiley

elianite (OP)
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2015, 02:51:37 AM

thanks for your understanding LazerViking. Hope to trade with you in the future Smiley

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 02:53:21 AM

I am glad that you both were able to reach an agreement that everyone was able to walk away happy
TheAnalogKid

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 02:53:31 AM

thanks for your understanding LazerViking. Hope to trade with you in the future Smiley
I'll second that.  I'm sorry it came at your expense, and I appreciate the graciousness.

Hey, you never know, with the way ANACS is going with these grades lately, you might get one sooner than later, for less... Smiley
LazerViking

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 07:26:31 AM

Np!  I think I'm going to go ahead and reserve of the books you are putting together.  Please put me down for whatever is the smallest available serial number.  Thx
Fortify
Legendary

Activity: 2660
Merit: 1176

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 07:33:55 AM

If that is indeed the precedent in these sorts of situations, I will honour AnalogKid's bid. I apologise for the confusion

So you were swayed from extending the auction by the only other person selling a M68 0.10 casascius coin at the moment..

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
monkeynuts
Legendary

Activity: 1251
Merit: 1259

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 10:24:04 AM

So you were swayed from extending the auction by the only other person selling a M68 0.10 casascius coin at the moment..

I hadnt made that connection ! Made me chuckle.  Cheesy

Auctions being affected by forum outages, or incomplete auction rules are always very tricky to handle. It is impossible to please everyone.

Auction bidding tactics ... get in early and see if you snag a bargain if noone else bids (or the forum goes down !). Get a fairly high bid in early and scare off the competition, but risk paying mnore than you should
Or
Wait till the end and snipe, hoping timezones mean you get a cheaper coin as your competition is asleep, or just plain forgets about the auction

I kind of miss the crazy days before the no snipe rules were common place, and people would auction multiple coins on the same auction without a sniping policy .... all added to the forum 'lockout' when a post had changed while you were writing your own post. Those were the days. Roll Eyes
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: