Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 03:24:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best wallet for cold storage  (Read 3751 times)
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 10:58:15 AM

Best hardware wallet should be Trezor, you can find it here: https://www.bitcointrezor.com/
Paper wallets are not as safe as you think, just do a small research and you will know Smiley

How aren't they as safe as you think? They are as safe as it gets IMO. Paper will never deteriorate if you cover it with plastic, and even if the wallet is found a password still needed, so I dont see the problem.
Somekindabitcoin

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 11:33:35 AM

Best hardware wallet should be Trezor, you can find it here: https://www.bitcointrezor.com/
Paper wallets are not as safe as you think, just do a small research and you will know Smiley

How aren't they as safe as you think? They are as safe as it gets IMO. Paper will never deteriorate if you cover it with plastic, and even if the wallet is found a password still needed, so I dont see the problem.

Paper as a paper can be safe, but you have to trust the thing that generated you the paper wallet you have and if it wasn't compromised right after the generation was done.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 11:42:10 AM

Paper as a paper can be safe, but you have to trust the thing that generated you the paper wallet you have and if it wasn't compromised right after the generation was done.

Exactly, all the storage methods have a weak link so far. Trezor seems to me doesn't have one, or at least that I know. Of course you need to trust the developers but in my opinion, they have already proven themselves.
Chris_Sabian
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 01:40:21 PM

So what about offline use of bitaddress.org?  That should be 'safe' considering that the code have been verified independently.
TinEye

Activity: 639

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 01:50:02 PM

So what about offline use of bitaddress.org?  That should be 'safe' considering that the code have been verified independently.

paper wallet remain unsafe if you use a printer that have a cache and can memorize data, why people can't simply use a usb and a wallet.dat inside it, it's much simple and has the same security, you only need to do it on a secure machine, you can do a secure erase ato resolve this problem

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                                                                   ▄█████████                  ██████
                                                                   ███    ███                 ██   ██
         ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████    ██████████████████████   ████████▀
        ██            ▄█          █▄                 █▄          ███            █▄          █        ▄██▀
       ██            ██           ███                ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ███            ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ██   █████▀
       ██   █████    ██   ████   ████   ██     ██    ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██    ██████   ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██   ████▀
      ██    █████   ██    ████   ████   ██     ██   ██          ███   ██████   ██          ██   ████▀
      ██            ██           ███   ███    ███   ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀███            ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀██   ▀▀▀████
      ███           ██▄            █   ██     ██    ██▄          █             ▀█▄          ██      ███
       █████████   ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
      ██           ██
    ██▀           ███
  ████████████████▀
everaja

Activity: 490

~ScapeGoat~

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 02:19:17 PM

I will suggest you to go for armory ,in Armory users are empowered with multiple encrypted Bitcoin wallets and permanent one-time ‘paper backups’.
Moreover the coins are in your hands always and users never have to trust the Armory team.

Link to Armory: https://bitcoinarmory.com/

CoimMaster

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 02:20:23 PM

the bitcoin-core all the way
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 02:36:51 PM

Why would you use some " wallet " ?   You only want to store a private key!!!

For cold storage, you don't need a "wallet", you need paper or a usb key or something like that.  

Perhaps the question should be what wallet do you use for importing a cold storage private key for signing transactions offline?  

The whole point is, what if you could have a hot wallet that has the security of a cold storage single priv key?
Thats what trezor offers =)
Trezor allows you to have as many unknown wallets as passwords you can remember in your head. Better yet, a single mnemonic seed backs up all of those wallets. That seed would be the trezor's "cold storage" =) ... But unlike traditional cold storage, that single seed restores all of ur keys in all the wallets u created w/ trezor. Additionally, because trezor's seed is based on a BIP, its restorable via any wallet that correctly supports that BIP(in the case you dont have another trezor).

what if you can replicate this with another computer separated from your network, thus in a isolated enviroment but still connected to the internet, where you only do transaction of bitcoin and nothing else, so no browsing no DLing anything no clicking random link ecc...?

i firmly believe that with the right tools you can have an hot wallet that is secure like a cold walelt

You cant replicate the convenience of trezor ... what you mentioned, doesnt sound very convenient. Try that in a retail outfit in which u pay for something using BTC. Its impossible the way you mentioned.
Like I stated, trezor offers pretty much near the same security as a cold storage slip of paper ... with the convenience of a wallet on ur phone. I know, Ive used trezor w/ mycelium on my cell phone =)

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 02:50:19 PM

Bitcoin Core is for sure. But it's hard to sync with the network. (You should copy and paste the newer blocks to the offline computer with an external hdd or flash drive).
Somekindabitcoin

Activity: 518

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 03:02:20 PM

Bitcoin Core is for sure. But it's hard to sync with the network. (You should copy and paste the newer blocks to the offline computer with an external hdd or flash drive).

People are not that rich to buy another computer to have their coins "offline"... it's easier to buy TREZOR!
It's just for like 0.4 BTC and it can help you a lot, it is smaller and more safe than an offline pc.
funkenstein
Legendary

Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2015, 03:42:37 PM

For cold storage, you don't need a "wallet", you need paper or a usb key or something like that.  

Perhaps the question should be what wallet do you use for importing a cold storage private key for signing transactions offline?  

The whole point is, what if you could have a hot wallet that has the security of a cold storage single priv key?
Trezor allows you to have as many unknown wallets as passwords you can remember in your head. Better yet, a single mnemonic seed backs up all of those wallets. That seed would be the trezor's "cold storage" =) ... But unlike traditional cold storage, that single seed restores all of ur keys in all the wallets u created w/ trezor. Additionally, because trezor's seed is based on a BIP, its restorable via any wallet that correctly supports that BIP(in the case you dont have another trezor).

what if you can replicate this with another computer separated from your network, thus in a isolated enviroment but still connected to the internet, where you only do transaction of bitcoin and nothing else, so no browsing no DLing anything no clicking random link ecc...?

i firmly believe that with the right tools you can have an hot wallet that is secure like a cold walelt

Because I posted in this thread I had better state my opinion for the record, so it doesn't look bad later. 

My opinion:  allowing any third party other than that of the highest personal trust to handle your coin is a bad idea.

That includes: trezor, core, microsoft, armory, etc. etc.  If you are talking cold storage, it shouldn't involve any of that crap.  It's a freaking number man!  Just keep it safe somewhere on your own.  Is that so hard? 

As to "hot" being " secure like cold" ..  uh, no.  Not that I don't recommend to hold funds in hot wallets, there is plenty of reason to do so, but do so knowing that there is an attack surface. 

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
http://vtscc.org  http://woodcoin.info
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 05:09:08 PM

Because I posted in this thread I had better state my opinion for the record, so it doesn't look bad later.  

My opinion:  allowing any third party other than that of the highest personal trust to handle your coin is a bad idea.

That includes: trezor, core, microsoft, armory, etc. etc.  If you are talking cold storage, it shouldn't involve any of that crap.  It's a freaking number man!  Just keep it safe somewhere on your own.  Is that so hard?  

As to "hot" being " secure like cold" ..  uh, no.  Not that I don't recommend to hold funds in hot wallets, there is plenty of reason to do so, but do so knowing that there is an attack surface.  

have you read what i've wrote after, how there can be an attack if you don't download anything and don't click anything on that machine? i'm not aware of any direct attack that work as a ddos or something that can steal your coins, without you allorw it...

also there is no way you can not allow a third party like you say to handle even for a small step your coins, because in the case of paper wallet you're doing so with the printer, which come probably from canon, epson or other known manufacturer

with usb is the same, they are made by someone else, unless you manage to make one your self, or do a whole pc yourself, i find this to be a stupid point, microsoft can't do anything on your windows machine, they can not control it, if that is your worry...
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 05:16:49 PM

My opinion:  allowing any third party other than that of the highest personal trust to handle your coin is a bad idea.

That includes: trezor, core, microsoft, armory, etc. etc.  If you are talking cold storage, it shouldn't involve any of that crap.  It's a freaking number man!  Just keep it safe somewhere on your own.  Is that so hard? 

As to "hot" being " secure like cold" ..  uh, no.  Not that I don't recommend to hold funds in hot wallets, there is plenty of reason to do so, but do so knowing that there is an attack surface. 

While it may not seem like it, when you think about the practicality of it, it actually is very difficult. If you dont have over a $5000 safe say goodbye to it in any long term fire. You have to trust the software / machine its created on, not only that, but also when you redeem it.
I like the idea of a trezor because while its backed up on a sheet of paper, that piece of paper is backed up by the trezor. Since the piece of paper holds backups to all wallets included any generated by a password .. if the paper gets compromised ... noone would know the passwords behind which ur funds are hidden by. Restore just the seed only and you have a 0 balance wallet restored.
If I had tens of thousands of BTC, Id feel much safe w/ it on a trezor + backup seed on paper(all wallets hidden behind passwords) rather than a single piece of paper holding the fortune and also happens to be a single failure point.
The alternative to a single cold storage piece of paper would be BIP38(I think) encrypting it w/ a decent password and putting multiple copies of that paper everywhere for redundancy.

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 05:17:38 PM

I'm going to suggest armory, but please note that this recommendation is biased in terms of my own experience with it.  But honestly, I don't see much wrong with a safely-generated core wallet encrypted and backed up on a few USB sticks.  This is a reasonable option, especially if you aren't stashing a significant amount. I have little experience with hardware cold-storage options, so I'm uncomfortable recommending them.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2015, 05:25:23 PM

Hi,
I'm going to save some Bitcoins for the future. Which is the safest way to store them?
I was thinking about a wallet on a usb flash drive. Which wallet should I choose?

Thank you

For security you need cold storage for your private keys. This used to be a pain as only two wallets (Armory and Electrum) supported cold storage and two separate computers were needed.

With the introduction of bitcoin hardware wallets cold storage is much more convenient. For reviews of all the available and coming soon bitcoin hardware wallets see my article on a complete guide to bitcoin hardware wallets.

Chris_Sabian
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 07:07:54 PM

paper wallet remain unsafe if you use a printer that have a cache and can memorize data, why people can't simply use a usb and a wallet.dat inside it, it's much simple and has the same security, you only need to do it on a secure machine, you can do a secure erase ato resolve this problem

Very true.  I like to use bitcoin core
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 07:29:11 PM

Best wallet for cold storage is a properly done paper wallet.  You simply cannot beat it.  Paper does not link to the internet Smiley

Yes you have to be careful when making it, and also store it in safe place.  But paper wallets are very strong in my mind.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2015, 07:30:09 PM

Very true.  I like to use bitcoin core

I have had the official Bitcoin Core client hacked by a trojan accidentally downloaded. Password does not protect your private keys. That is why getting your private keys offline or at least secured in a hardware wallet like Trezor is good policy.

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2015, 07:31:16 PM

Best wallet for cold storage is a properly done paper wallet.  You simply cannot beat it.  Paper does not link to the internet Smiley

Yes you have to be careful when making it, and also store it in safe place.  But paper wallets are very strong in my mind.

Paper wallets are not convenient to use on a day to day basis and really provide no more protection for your private keys than Trezor.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 07:35:15 PM

So what about offline use of bitaddress.org?  That should be 'safe' considering that the code have been verified independently.

Very true.  I like to use bitcoin core

I have had the official Bitcoin Core client hacked by a trojan accidentally downloaded. Password does not protect your private keys. That is why getting your private keys offline or at least secured in a hardware wallet like Trezor is good policy.

well that's your fault man, it is obvious that if you "give an easy access to your pc to an hacker" you're only asking for trouble

next time don't download anything that has not a digital sign, same goes for any link, problem is solved, i'm follow this simple rule and i never lost any coins on my hot wallet which is almost, always online
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: