Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:03:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing file name wallet.dat  (Read 2578 times)
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2015, 04:22:34 PM

Is that so?
I just ran: c:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe -wallet=Christian1.998 and I now have a wallet file with that name. Its 88 kbyte. I also have a file named wallet.dat that is 421696 kbyte. Its an acutally wallet file and its not protected by a password (sounds juicy, right?).
I did not compile anything for this and I dont think there is an upper bound to the size of a wallet file. 400 MB is pretty much the upper bound of what I want to run, but other people might see this differently. Anyway I did a quick search and found 88603 files that match that size range. The system is not even a month old.
Ive forgotten that you can specify the extension over the comandline ^^
But if you just start it with your folder, your wallet gets saved in the appdatadir right ? If you search only in this location, and zip the found files then you got all possible "wallets".
Best regards

Christian

I can specify any location that is reachable. I probably can specify a location that is unreachable and bitcoin core would just fallback to the default. Thus the file does not even have to be on the system unless I start core, it could be in a encrypted container. Anyway, if you zip all possible files you pretty much zip my entire hard drive. Thats certainly a possible way to steal a wallet file, its just a question of disk storage and whether you can do it slow and silent enough for the victim not to notice.

I hope more malware coders use your approach.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2015, 04:24:35 PM

Is that so?
I just ran: c:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe -wallet=Christian1.998 and I now have a wallet file with that name. Its 88 kbyte. I also have a file named wallet.dat that is 421696 kbyte. Its an acutally wallet file and its not protected by a password (sounds juicy, right?).
I did not compile anything for this and I dont think there is an upper bound to the size of a wallet file. 400 MB is pretty much the upper bound of what I want to run, but other people might see this differently. Anyway I did a quick search and found 88603 files that match that size range. The system is not even a month old.
Ive forgotten that you can specify the extension over the comandline ^^
But if you just start it with your folder, your wallet gets saved in the appdatadir right ? If you search only in this location, and zip the found files then you got all possible "wallets".
Best regards

Christian
That data directory can be changed. Still, the there are thousands of files of that size, which can amount to large downloads from the victim and extra time sorting. It isn't as easy as you think it is.

Christian1998

Activity: 474
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 04:31:56 PM

That data directory can be changed. Still, the there are thousands of files of that size, which can amount to large downloads from the victim and extra time sorting. It isn't as easy as you think it is.
But its not impossible Wink
If you can create an algo for that its more easylier than you think.

Best regards
Christian
ArpFlush (OP)

Activity: 623

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 08:38:30 AM

So, in order to access wallet Christian1.998, you need to c:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe -wallet=Christian1.998, right? Otherwise it would load your wallet.dat, correct?

"Panic Selling is not an Investment Strategy"
Christian1998

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 08:41:56 AM

So, in order to access wallet Christian1.998, you need to c:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe -wallet=Christian1.998, right? Otherwise it would load your wallet.dat, correct?
Yes, thats right if you have it installed under the directory "c:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe".
Best regards
Christian
ArpFlush (OP)

Activity: 623

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 09:55:32 AM

Yes, thats right if you have it installed under the directory "c:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe".
Best regards
Christian

Thanks Christian, I noticed btw that if you wanna access the default wallet again, you should use the command line also (c:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe -wallet=wallet.dat), if not, you'll get an wallet error.

"Panic Selling is not an Investment Strategy"
Christian1998

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 10:09:57 AM

Best regards
Christian

Thanks Christian, I noticed btw that if you wanna access the default wallet again, you should use the command line also (c:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe -wallet=wallet.dat), if not, you'll get an wallet error.
Do you havent changed anything else?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2015, 10:10:59 AM

Best regards
Christian

Cant confirm, I just started as usual (via shortcut) after the test and everything was as expected (regular wallet.dat file loaded).

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
plarkplark

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 12:13:08 PM

This is security by obscurity. Just like putting your house keys under a rock beneath the door.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: