Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:11:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Not able to get armory online again  (Read 1473 times)
STrek77 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 04:36:42 PM

<short version>
Since a few weeks armory does not go online anymore and bitcoin client seems to die while getting in the proces to go online
I know there are already a few treads about this and I did read them and also tried solutions offred there but did not help...
</short version>

<long version>
2 month ago I started with armory as my bitcoin wallet. I installed the last version (don't know anymore wich version number that was) on a virtual win8.1 pc (because the host of this virtual pc is always on).

some specs of this virtual pc:
ram: 4 GB
os win 8.1
two virtual hard disks with armory running on the second. It has 300GB and only armory and the bitcoin core client with data are located there.
bitcoincore: version (i think 0.9.3)

All did work perfectly and after a month a upgrade notice showed up. I installed armory 0.93.2 over the old one by armory itself and also updated the bitcoincore tot version to 0.10.2
In the same timeframe I noticed on bitcoin.org instructions about a full node and understand that armory already did this for me. So I put up my e-mailadres to get emails if my node would go down.
A few days later I did receive a down node notice. While armory was still up and saying it was online. Found it strange but did nothing at that time.

Day after there were updates for windows needed and so the virtual pc had to be rebooted. After a long (normal) period armory did came online again and I also did get a (e-mail)notice that my node was up again. But 2 days later again a notice that node was down and this time also armory showed that it was offline. Not sure what happened but even after 2 days waiting armory was still in offline modus and no change on the dashboard (yes, the green circle was still turning but it was still on the first step initialise bitcoin core.

So following list are the actions that I did take to resolve this (and always waiting 2 days at least in between to let armory try to get back in sync) without result:

- serval restart and even reboots of armory (like said every time 2 days in between waiting to see a change)
- change ram to 12 GB (virtual pc was down offcourse atm)
- upgraded to bitcoin core 11.0  and removed all datafiles of the bitcoin core (only wallet.dat remained) like is said in the FAQ on "Deleting and Redownloading the Blockchain"
- downgraded to bitcoin core 0.10.1
- gave command in armory to rescan and rebuild database and restarted armory

every time i see that (if needed) the blockchain is downloaded and armory tries to get bitcore client initialized but seems not to get further.
Also I get email message that my node gets up and a few hours later (first stalled) and down.

Something else I did get noticed. When armory is started up. I see the bitcoin core daemon in the process list (taskmanager, most of the time using 90% and more of the cpu) but after the node down message this process of the bitcoin daemon is gone and can't be found.

any tip(s) are welcome

PS: I have a paper backup (made at installation) but I am not sure if it will get my incoming addresses created after that backup if I restore with paper backup

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 06:08:19 PM

Turn off auto bitcoind management and run Core manually.

PS: I have a paper backup (made at installation) but I am not sure if it will get my incoming addresses created after that backup if I restore with paper backup

Of course it will

STrek77 (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 08:17:11 PM

Never been able to run the core manually but it seems I did solve the problem though not complete yet...

What I have done:

* I uninstalled both armory and bitcoin core completely (all files also wallet files)
* installed (latest version) of bitcoin core
* installed latest version of armory
* imported paper wallet
 after 2 days now armory is back online and also full node again.

My incoming address book is empty. I had a few addresses with comments to the facets so I could see where bitcoins are coming from but those are all gone. Yes I still have all my bitcoins and also date and time when they did come in but I don't see on which address  they came in.

Is there a way that I can regenerate that address book? I do have all those addresses with there comments in a txt file backuped.

goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 10:09:49 PM

This is a symptom of an unsync'd Armory.

Again, you want to start Core manually (look for BitcoinQt.exe). Let that sync all the way, then report here.

STrek77 (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 11:50:44 PM

* set armory to let bitcore run manually
* started gui bitcore and set map to save bitcoin data in same map where armory should have placed it

bitcoin core is started and i see no notice that network is not in sync. To be sertain I will let bitcore run the whole night without armory and report back here in the morning (1:50 am here now)

https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/nodes/94.224.162.65-8333/
STrek77 (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 08:00:21 AM

situation the same: bitcore is running normal and says it is synced (or better there is no message that it is not in sync)

tried to start armory but it stays offline but cause it can't detect bitcoin core. I suspect this is because bitcoin core is not on the default place. The problem is, I see no way to tell armory where too look for the bitcoin core data without enabling it to also manage bitcoin core and I think this is not what we want.

So How can I run bitcoin core manually and not on his default place without armory  has management?
japerry

Activity: 306
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2015, 08:40:58 AM

situation the same: bitcore is running normal and says it is synced (or better there is no message that it is not in sync)

tried to start armory but it stays offline but cause it can't detect bitcoin core. I suspect this is because bitcoin core is not on the default place. The problem is, I see no way to tell armory where too look for the bitcoin core data without enabling it to also manage bitcoin core and I think this is not what we want.

So How can I run bitcoin core manually and not on his default place without armory  has management?

Are you running Bitcoin-Qt through TOR or some other proxy?

STrek77 (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 09:28:54 AM

No proxy settings are used. Network settings on core are all default. I have only chanched startup at login setting  to enable.
Also in armory no proxy settings are used.
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 11:15:54 AM

You should turn off auto managed bitcoind until your system is stable.

You can force your block data path using the --satoshi-datadir command line argument.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: