Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 08:19:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoincard.org - bad start  (Read 1630 times)
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 02:56:51 PM
Last edit: September 26, 2012, 03:16:06 PM by hazek

Perhaps u've seen kewl video on http://bitcoincard.org/. It's exciting! Not only quality of the video but prospects too. I opened http://bitcoincard.org/movement.php to know more and saw:

You personal benefits from joining the bitcoin economy are:
1. Paying no transaction fees. Really and truly, zero fees;
2. Sufferng no inflation because bitcoin inflation is impossible;
3. Paying as much taxes as you actually will, beleive it or not;
4. Financial anonymity far beyond the best Cayman Islands can offer.

The very 1st point is a lie. Especially in the end-game when miners r supposed to earn money taking fees.
2nd point is quite exaggerated, inflation is possible. A few weeks ago 1 BTC was 15 USD, not 12 like right now.
3rd point... Anonymity in Bitcoin world is not easy to achieve and every transaction is stored in the blockchain, so if the state decides to get info how much bitcoins a particular person earns it will manage to do this. I don't even mention that without taxes the state will die so it will fight for taxes till death.
For 4th point look at 3rd one. Noone can stand against a beast with trillions of dollars.

What I'd like to say. Even the 1st point ruins the 1st impression about the project. I suspect it was created to scam non-bitcoiners...
divergenta

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 02:59:30 PM

isn't gavin and other pretty trustworthy people behind that project?
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 03:03:33 PM

Who cares if it's started with a lie? Is Gavin an angel? I believe in St. Satoshi only.
JMAHH

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 03:03:41 PM

I am finding the typo's more worrying...
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 03:05:20 PM

The very 1st point is a lie. Especially in the end-game when miners r supposed to earn money taking fees.

From the impression I got from the device, it will only interact with the Bitcoin network at the merchant nodes. One Bitcoin could be transferred back and forth among hundreds of these cards and then when it finally hits a merchant node it will register on the blockchain.

Kinda like using a casascius coin. You do not pay transaction fees for each exchange.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 03:12:21 PM

From the impression I got from the device, it will only interact with the Bitcoin network at the merchant nodes. One Bitcoin could be transferred back and forth among hundreds of these cards and then when it finally hits a merchant node it will register on the blockchain.

Kinda like using a casascius coin. You do not pay transaction fees for each exchange.

No. After a transaction is transfered from one card to another anyone of the parties will send the transaction to be processed after (s)he reaches any gateway. It's impossible to resend an unconfirmed transaction to someone else.
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 03:19:26 PM

2nd point is quite exaggerated, inflation is possible. A few weeks ago 1 BTC was 15 USD, not 12 like right now.

Inflation != price rise.
But nevertheless, the point is not fully correct since there's nothing stopping people from doing fractional reserves or other forms of inflation that do not depend on an increase of the monetary base.

3rd point... Anonymity in Bitcoin world is not easy to achieve and every transaction is stored in the blockchain, so if the state decides to get info how much bitcoins a particular person earns it will manage to do this. I don't even mention that without taxes the state will die so it will fight for taxes till death.

Even if bitcoin provided perfect financial privacy, that alone is not enough to allow you to evade taxes at will. Remember that long ago people did have financial privacy, but that didn't stop states from taxing them. Property taxes and at some extent VAT are difficult to evade, even if you don't use banks at all.
And in what concerns income taxes, many states simply ignore the principle of "innocent until proven guilty" by forcing you to justify your means of living, and punishing you as a tax evader if you're not capable of doing so.

Even the 1st point ruins the 1st impression about the project. I suspect it was created to scam non-bitcoiners...

Why calling them scammers?

It's true that they should change their words. Not only because they are not accurate, but because it's not safe for yourself to say wide in the open "we can help you evade taxes!". But why this accusation out of nothing?
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 03:23:45 PM

It's true that they should change their words. Not only because they are not accurate, but because it's not safe for yourself to say wide in the open "we can help you evade taxes!". But why this accusation out of nothing?
Maybe because I'm not so cold-blooded as u? Anyway I wrote "suspect", not "declare".
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 03:33:00 PM

No, Gavin is not directly involved in the development of the Bitcoincard.  And just because one person posting on the site in question doesn't fully understand how Bitcoin works, doesn't make him a scammer.  I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of members of this forum are wrong about how Bitcoin works on some technical level, and we are certainly the most educated population on the subject.  I was here months in the beginning, still being corrected on some minor misunderstanding of the subject.  I still won't claim to completely understand how the parts all fit together, and I expect that there are less than 50 people in the world who do, and of those 50 less than half could actually teach that knowledge to someone else.  Bitcoin is complex in so many technical fields, which is why I beleive that Satoshi was either a polymath or a group of skilled people.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2222

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 08:49:58 PM

Who cares if it's started with a lie? Is Gavin an angel?

Yes, I am an angel sent from God to deliver Justice to a world full of Sin!

But I'm not behind the bitcoincard project. I did meet with them in Vienna, along with other bitcoin folks. See http://blog.bitinstant.com/blog/2012/6/8/bitcoincard-in-vienna-day-1-coffee-missing-atms-and-some-tes.html for info/pictures.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: