Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 12:38:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [2015-07-21]CT - What Debate? NXT Votes Unanimously to Add Coin Mixing Anonymity  (Read 1674 times)
dadon
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1002

Pecvniate obedivnt omnia.

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2015, 11:06:51 AM

Just to be clear.

CryptoNote / Monero etc use Ring signatures. This means the txn 'signatures' are not linkable to any inputs. A nice feature.

Coinshuffle, the son of CoinJoin, mixes up the outputs, in a way that none of the users can decrypt (decentralised), so that the outputs are not linkable to an input. Also a nice feature.

If you had both, it would be better than one alone.

Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rustynailer

Activity: 725
Merit: 501

Boycott Qatar 2022

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 11:49:44 AM

Just to be clear.

CryptoNote / Monero etc use Ring signatures. This means the txn 'signatures' are not linkable to any inputs. A nice feature.

Coinshuffle, the son of CoinJoin, mixes up the outputs, in a way that none of the users can decrypt (decentralised), so that the outputs are not linkable to an input. Also a nice feature.

If you had both, it would be better than one alone.

Coins like Shadow and Monero have an opaque blockchain so there is really no need for mixing.  And you are right, there are two choices we have in looking for the best privacy coin.  One is we can have a readable blockchain that uses mixers or two, we can have a unreadable blockchain using cryptography.

I know which one I am betting on that wins that battle. 
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2015, 12:42:23 PM

y didnt they use another algo?

I saw on the Nxt forum that the devs considered the Cryptonote algo but rejected it - but I didn't see why.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Sebastien256

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 04:42:49 PM

I saw on the Nxt forum that the devs considered the Cryptonote algo but rejected it - but I didn't see why.

I think it was from the blockchain bloat of the cryptonote protocol, but not 100% sure.

Nxt official forum at: https://nxtforum.org/
Marlo Stanfield

Activity: 490
Merit: 280

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 06:09:43 PM

I thought CoinShuffle was a superior version of CoinJoin.

I remember Dark Wallet had plans to implement CoinShuffle in the future but didn't get around to it as it was only theory at the time.

What other implementations of CoinShuffle are there?
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2015, 08:10:13 PM

I think it was from the blockchain bloat of the cryptonote protocol, but not 100% sure.

That makes sense; thanks.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

box0214

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 09:19:20 PM

what about these ring signatures i keep hearing about? i dont understand it fully, but why didn't nxt go with what monero has for anonymity?
Sebastien256

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 09:21:31 PM

what about these ring signatures i keep hearing about? i dont understand it fully, but why didn't nxt go with what monero has for anonymity?

see previous post to yours.

Nxt official forum at: https://nxtforum.org/
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 10:46:27 PM

One is we can have a readable blockchain that uses mixers or two, we can have a unreadable blockchain using cryptography.

Just be clear about which 'battle' you're betting on. 'Obscurity' does not make money valuable because the blockchain is not a bank account. The most valuable cryptocurrency will not be the most private and untraceable one.

It will be the most public and fungible one.

dadon
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1002

Pecvniate obedivnt omnia.

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2015, 02:02:56 AM

One is we can have a readable blockchain that uses mixers or two, we can have a unreadable blockchain using cryptography.

Just be clear about which 'battle' you're betting on. 'Obscurity' does not make money valuable because the blockchain is not a bank account. The most valuable cryptocurrency will not be the most private and untraceable one.

Shadowcash has both Shadowcash is traceable like BTC  and can be changed in to Shadowtokens which are untraceable, both are redeemable for each other read here https://www.deepdotweb.com/2015/01/28/shadowcash-zero-knowledge-anonymity/ SDC has best of both worlds and it's anonymity is superior to all others
rustynailer

Boycott Qatar 2022

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 02:04:27 AM

Are you sure about that?

Anyway I was talking about the best coins for privacy, so if you think a public ledger is better then great because we have bitcoin.
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 10:33:37 AM

Are you sure about that?

2000 years of monetary history is sure.

Anyway I was talking about the best coins for privacy, so if you think a public ledger is better then great because we have bitcoin.

The best coin for "privacy" is Bitcoin. It has 2 ledgers - a public one and a private one. Without the public one, you don't have money. Without the private one you don't have the ability for that public consensus money to be privately controlled.

A bitcoin address is not a bank account because it doesn't derive its value from being backed by a trusted third party and nor does it derive its existence from representation of an individual's assets. Bitcoin addresses are the equivalent of gold nuggets lying around the hills.

The privacy issue arises from gleaning information about who is controlling what parts of the public ledger by knowledge acquired outside the blockchain. This is addressed by maximising the fungibility of the public ledger, not by burying it. That's where the job of a base monetary medium starts and ends.
rustynailer

Boycott Qatar 2022

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 11:37:41 AM

Are you sure about that?

2000 years of monetary history is sure.

The best coin for "privacy" is Bitcoin. It has 2 ledgers - a public one and a private one. Without the public one, you don't have money. Without the private one you don't have the ability for that public consensus money to be privately controlled.

A bitcoin address is not a bank account because it doesn't derive its value from being backed by a trusted third party and nor does it derive its existence from representation of an individual's assets. Bitcoin addresses are the equivalent of gold nuggets lying around the hills.

The privacy issue arises from gleaning information about who is controlling what parts of the public ledger by knowledge acquired outside the blockchain. This is addressed by maximising the fungibility of the public ledger, not by burying it. That's where the job of a base monetary medium starts and ends.

I am really not sure what you are trying to say here, but you are doing a good job of turning what is a simple concept of public or private transactions into something complicated.  

And there is a coin out there that has a "public and private ledger" but it certainly isn't bitcoin.  No offense to btc  Wink
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 11:59:46 AM
Last edit: July 25, 2015, 12:40:00 PM by toknormal

I am really not sure what you are trying to say here, but you are doing a good job of turning what is a simple concept of public or private transactions into something complicated.

It's a question of what metaphor characterises cryptocurrency. Take your pick. It's either a metaphor for gold or a metaphor for fiat bank accounts. Bitcoin models itself on the former whereas cryptographically obscured blockchains model themselves on the latter. At a monetary level, they are very different in nature and unless that fact is consciously recognised we just stumble into a solution that is very private but has no value. A solution that is simply numbers in an account, as bookkeeping system is.

If you want to avoid unwittingly stumbling into developing the purse instead of the money, you need a fully public blockchain.

It's only "complicated" because these questions take us away from cosy little trainspotting factoids about traceability and back to the original premise of what constitutes money. But thats where this debate might have some genuine relevance.
rustynailer

Boycott Qatar 2022

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 01:09:09 PM

It's a question of what metaphor characterises cryptocurrency. Take your pick. It's either a metaphor for gold or a metaphor for fiat bank accounts. Bitcoin models itself on the former whereas cryptographically obscured blockchains model themselves on the latter. At a monetary level, they are very different in nature and unless that fact is consciously recognised we just stumble into a solution that is very private but has no value. A solution that is simply numbers in an account, as bookkeeping system is.

If you want to avoid unwittingly stumbling into developing the purse instead of the money, you need a fully public blockchain.

It's only "complicated" because these questions take us away from cosy little trainspotting factoids about traceability and back to the original premise of what constitutes money. But thats where this debate might have some genuine relevance.

Whilst I don't disagree with most of what your saying, but you are steering the conversation away from having the ability to make public or private transactions to "what constitutes money".

Anyway nice convo, but I don't want to derail this thread any further and we should take this up at another time and another thread. 
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: