Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:21:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Game over Fat People  (Read 573 times)
Sourgummies (OP)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

Never ending parties are what Im into.

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 06:54:34 PM

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2015/07/20/study-probability-of-obese-people-reaching-normal-weight-less-than-1/

When do we start the fat shaming like we did with smokers?
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BLKBITZ

Activity: 161
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 07:21:42 PM

Never if we keep going the same course
Pathi

Activity: 244
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 07:40:33 PM

Careful,

Some of us are not as Jolly as the stereotypical image.
Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2015, 09:01:00 PM

Bullying comes in many forms and is so damaging to people. Yeah, it may build some "thick skin" but ultimately it just hurts people. Leave the shame for the church.

anderson00673

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 09:20:54 PM

Lol, I am thinking of all the ridiculous smoking commercials, and how they will do the same for anti-fat stuff.

OK so as someone who is fat-ish (I am down to 195 from 220, so less fat than I was, but still a way to go!), I can say that it is HARD to not be fat for some people.

Would you give cigarettes to our children?  Because the diets in schools are so bad that we might as well.  I know LOTS of smokers.  And none of them have health problems until at least 50 years of age.  But I also know lots of fat people.  They start having problems much earlier, even as young as 30.  So yeah, giving our kids cigarettes would be better than the crap they get in school.

There are some good documentaries on netflix to watch, but in a nutshell the food industry has our government by the balls.  For example, in stead of getting crap like pizza out of the schools, they just redefined it as a vegetable.  That is not made up, pizza is a goddamn veggie at school.  This is because a corporation didn;t want to lose sales.  These companies will literally kill babies to make a buck (see: nestle).  They set up the bad habits early on, in some cases putting sugar in formula for babies.

It is not all the fault of the fat person.  Did you know that sugar is more addictive than cocaine?  Or cigarettes?  Companies know this and use this information to formulate addictive food.

I don't want to go on, but there is lots of good information out there if you care to look.  Sure individuals need to take control of their diets.  But with the 60 hour, 2 income households, who the hell is going to cook healthy food?  It takes TIME to cook healthy food.  All that pre made stuff is just garbage.  So in stead of shaming the fat people, why not shame the corporations too?
Sourgummies (OP)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

Never ending parties are what Im into.

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 09:57:05 PM

Bullying comes in many forms and is so damaging to people. Yeah, it may build some "thick skin" but ultimately it just hurts people. Leave the shame for the church.

Bullying movement is in full swing and I argue that its a attempt to control our future thinkers. Imagine a generation that has never been bullied and had to work through it. Its a wet dream for big business. Church really has nothing to do with it,they are just a easy target.

Eventually fatty will have to realize the cycle they cause with their children.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2015, 10:20:30 PM

Capitalism murders americans in droves by overfeeding, just as it murders millions of global southerners by starvation. It's far more profitable to overfeed the rich guy with extra portions, then it is to prevent the poor guy from starving to death.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
pureelite

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 11:31:02 PM

Never if we keep going the same course

I think that no man not afford to over-breeding. Fat people's health worse, harder to move faster and suffer from certain diseases. I suggest fat people to immediately go to the training and to solve the excess weight.
Beliathon

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 03:08:22 AM

Related: The global food waste scandal

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Possum577

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 05:09:05 AM

Capitalism murders americans in droves by overfeeding, just as it murders millions of global southerners by starvation. It's far more profitable to overfeed the rich guy with extra portions, then it is to prevent the poor guy from starving to death.

I think you've confused your business trends, it's not Capitalism it's the culture of over consumption. Don't blame the businesses...let the buyer beware!

Beliathon

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 05:17:22 AM

I think you've confused your business trends, it's not Capitalism it's the culture of over consumption.
Coercing / encouraging over-consumption from your consumers is a proven profit-driving strategy. Portions at US restaurants are bloated to three times the necessary amount of food so that they can justify charging you twice what it really costs to fill your belly.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 04:13:23 PM

Coercing / encouraging over-consumption from your consumers is a proven profit-driving strategy.
Yes, as Possum577 just pointed out, there is a culture of over consumption which enables this to occur.  If there wasn't, it wouldn't be a profit-driving strategy because everyone would say "Sorry, I really don't want this much food, I'm going to shop elsewhere which provides more reasonable portions."  Which would then force businesses to change to accommodate this, lest they be out-competed.

Portions at US restaurants are bloated to three times the necessary amount of food so that they can justify charging you twice what it really costs to fill your belly.
Again, as a consequence of the prevalent over-consumption culture.  If there's any merit to what you've said here, the logic reasonably follows that businesses would bloat portions to four, five, why not ten times, the necessary amount of food, to get an even greater return in profit at the expense of what the consumer actually needs.  Why not make every individual consume 10k calories in a single meal?  Fuck it, they don't have any control over their decisions whatsoever, right?  Squeeze every last penny out of them, that's the "capitalist" way!

But of course that's facetious because people do have control and they do decide how big their meals will be by consenting to the decisions of businesses, selecting them over businesses with alternate portion sizes, or over just making their own meals to their choosing.  Your assertions really just boil down to taking the people who cause themselves problems and telling them it's not their fault, providing a scapegoat "the businesses" and "capitalism" as the proposed core of the issue.  This is no good for the people who continue to kill themselves through overconsumption because it makes them wait on someone to come save them from whatever scapegoat you've provided, which is of course the far easier thing to do, where instead they should begin realizing they're at fault for their actions and should hone up to them i.e. be responsible, the far more difficult and, of course, less popular route.

Even with all that said, the individual could easily save their meal for later, nothing forces them to consume the entire meal in one sitting.  You're tilting at windmills, classic mistake.

khalized

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 06:07:51 PM

If people want to be fat leave them to it i say, the problem is forcing taxes and having to rely on everyone.  If you dont need the 30 stone guy its not a problem if he eats himself to death.
Beliathon

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 06:24:03 PM
Last edit: July 22, 2015, 06:38:34 PM by Beliathon

Coercing / encouraging over-consumption from your consumers is a proven profit-driving strategy.
Yes, as Possum577 just pointed out, there is a culture of over consumption which enables this to occur.  If there wasn't, it wouldn't be a profit-driving strategy because everyone would say "Sorry, I really don't want this much food, I'm going to shop elsewhere which provides more reasonable portions."  Which would then force businesses to change to accommodate this, lest they be out-competed.
It's not a one-way street from culture to profit-making, it's a feedback loop between culture and profit, which is responding to the incentives created by the profit model.

Profit finds a way to be made
in capitalism, just as water finds a way to flow down to sea level. In other words, it's illogical to say "if the culture was different, over-portioning wouldn't be profitable". We're a culture of over-consumers because overconsumption is very profitable.

Overweight and obese people have been both physically and intellectually abused by the structures of profit-making, and are therefore worthy of our compassion and help. Profit is a filthy word, because wherever there is profit there is deficit, and often waste.

Related reading:

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: