Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 03:27:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Bitcoin change in value a lot? Is it stable yet?  (Read 1668 times)
ThreeWChozEn (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 11:50:11 PM

Lets say I redeem $25 in Bitcoin, will my $25 be worth $23 tomorrow and so on or does it take a month or something to change significantly? Help???

Also, how do I see the current value of Bitcoin(s) and calculate them? I used google but is that accurate?

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=%2425%20to%20bitcoin
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 12:00:24 AM

Lets say I redeem $25 in Bitcoin, will my $25 be worth $23 tomorrow and so on or does it take a month or something to change significantly? Help???

Also, how do I see the current value of Bitcoin(s) and calculate them? I used google but is that accurate?

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=%2425%20to%20bitcoin

yes. it doesn't happen very frequent, but the price can change drastically overnight. for example a week ago the price rised from $280+ to $310 in less than 24 hours. tho it went back again (slower this time) to $280.

use http://preev.com if you want to see the average BTC-USD rate

you can also see this simple chart to see the price history.
minernoob1

Activity: 285
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 12:05:54 AM

There is no way to be sure about bitcoin price in future. If so we could all be rolling rich.

One thing worth it to consider though is all the people that bought on way down and are just waiting for higher priced to get out.
UserVVIP

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 12:09:18 AM

I am sorry to say, but Bitcoins are in no way stable at this point in time.  Just a year ago they were selling for about 600$USD  a piece. They are also not to stable because of hackers, part of the reason each BTC is only a fracw of what it used to be is because a big firm named Mt.Gox got hacked and had to shut down.

After all, a currency is only what people make of it.
umaOuma

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 12:38:28 AM

There is no way to be sure about bitcoin price in future. If so we could all be rolling rich.

One thing worth it to consider though is all the people that bought on way down and are just waiting for higher priced to get out.

We don't know what would be the scenario in the future, but at present it is not stable for sure. And it can be only stable if more and more people starts adopting it.

So there is fluctuation in prices, even the prices are going up and coming down, but that doesn't mean that it is stable. We need to wait a long way for bitcoin to gain its stability.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 05:45:35 AM

yeah it can change by much, but when you have a bottom that hold for so long you somehow know that it will not crash further, or that the chances of not crushing under that value is very high, this is everything you need to know

it look very stable recently, with slow prices correction upward
Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 09:13:25 AM

Value of BTC changing all the time and it's really very difficult to predict the value of BTC in the future.
This is the main reason why people still see BTC mostly as investment, not as currency or possible replacement for paypal or other online payment services.
I feel that most bitcoin users still don't trust BTC much (including merchants) and probably this is the main reason why we are still not mainstream.
Hope that this situation will change soon.
When most users starts using bitcoin to purchase products and services online, not as an investment, its value will eventually stabilize.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
ragi

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 09:25:06 AM

You would not notice much after only 25USD investment. It has to be some crazy swing to 10000 to see a difference.

no.
amaclin
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1019

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 09:35:30 AM

There is no way to be sure about bitcoin price in future.
There is.
And this way is well known: math & physics.
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 09:36:29 AM

with small amounts the risk and the amount your investment potentially goes down is very maeginal. as said in a previous post, you'll feel it if your invested value is at least +$1000.
Hopalong

Activity: 112

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 09:38:36 AM

You would not notice much after only 25USD investment. It has to be some crazy swing to 10000 to see a difference.

If those $25 is the all the money someone has to invest they will notice it if the price go down just a few $.
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 10:25:36 AM

There is no way to be sure about bitcoin price in future.
There is.
And this way is well known: math & physics.

math telling us that bitcoin will rise, but this is still susceptible to the uncertainty of human nature, and their demand

if instead of human there was robot that were investing in bitcoin, the price would have been greater and a rise would have been assured
okae
Legendary

Activity: 1401
Merit: 1008

northern exposure

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 10:29:00 AM

ofc man, it can change a lot, but if you look at the last months the price is very stable.

btw thios is not different from any other markets, from my point of viw dont worry about it, it will be much more stable with time een if now is pretty stable.

IMHO #1.b of suspects, Hal Finney is/was S.N.
amaclin
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 10:36:08 AM

math telling us that bitcoin will rise
1. wrong. math does not tell anything about price.
2. you've forgot about physics
bitcart

Activity: 94

www.bitcart.io

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 10:36:26 AM

BTC has gotten quite stable over the past couple of months. That said in the past 2 weeks it's jumped 15% and then down a couple of %. Of course this is a good thing for btc owners so if you are hoarding just keep an eye on the price daily to avoid any negative volatility.

www.bitcart.io
Bitcart - spend bitcoins online and save!
Buy Amazon gift cards with bitcoin and save up to 20% off
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 10:45:55 AM

math telling us that bitcoin will rise
1. wrong. math does not tell anything about price.
2. you've forgot about physics

if the demand remain constant and the supply drop it will rise, and this is math, so yes, math is telling us about what will happen to the price

the role of physics as i understand it,  has to do with the mining activity and security, which are to things that can mutate in a far distant future, nothing to worry about or consider for now
amaclin
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 10:57:14 AM

if the demand remain constant and the supply drop it will rise, and this is
math, so yes, math is telling us about what will happen to the price
OK. Why should demand remain constant? Do math tell us about it?
the role of physics as i understand it,  has to do with the mining activity and security
The role of physics is converting energy to heat while securing transactions.
desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 10:59:47 AM

1. Yes

2. No
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 11:01:19 AM

if the demand remain constant and the supply drop it will rise, and this is
math, so yes, math is telling us about what will happen to the price
OK. Why should demand remain constant? Do math tell us about it?
the role of physics as i understand it,  has to do with the mining activity and security
The role of physics is converting energy to heat while securing transactions.

because demand can only go in three directions, up down or zero, if we assume equity between those, since we don't know the future, you simply look at the block reward which is governed by math

about phisics it is what i said, essentially something that will not impact the price now, so another variable for the future, which is useless to take in consideration for the time being
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 11:05:45 AM

There is a currency component to Bitcoin.

Currencies fluctuate against each other. So the answer is yes, Bitcoin can change in value a lot; and no it is not stable yet.

But.

When Bitcoin starts being used for smart contracts, it will have more of an investment component to it, as people will begin to buy BTC with Fiat to conclude or register contracts.

This aspect still has a transaction aspect to it, but transactions on the Bitcoin blockchain can be entered into and executed at some future point. This will see people buying BTC and locking it up for weeks, months, years.

So medium to long-term, the answer is likely to be no, it won't change in value a lot; and yes it will be more stable.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: