Bitcoin Forum
June 01, 2024, 08:38:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best CPU to mine XMG or any other CPU minable coin?  (Read 2325 times)
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1363

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 01:59:32 AM

I've got interested in CPU mining when I looked into a few alt coins that seemed to be easily minable by the CPU. Since then, I decided to mine XMG (Coin Magi) with my CPU to give it a try. Everything works fine as it should with the CPU mining at an average of 15 kh/s with 3 threads running.

As of now, I own a laptop that has an Intel Core i5-3210M (quad core) with 2.50GHz clock speed. However, most of the time my laptop gets very hot when running the miner at 3 threads. My question is: What type of CPU would be the most adequate to mine such coins? I just want to know of a CPU that's powerful to mine but affordable to buy because I'm planning to build a Desktop PC soon  Roll Eyes  Thanks.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Derrike

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 06:58:13 AM

Remember that you should not mine coin with a laptop as they are compactly fitted to minimize the space.
And they are not having strong fans to cool the hardware.
So please create a special dedicated rig and if not so then do not mine for 24/7.
Just saving your laptop.
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 12:05:40 PM

Remember that you should not mine coin with a laptop as they are compactly fitted to minimize the space.
So please create a special dedicated rig and if not so then do not mine for 24/7.
Just saving your laptop.

Thanks for the advice. Would there be any guide for building your own custom rig?  I would then get started in building one. Just looking for affordable parts but decent enough for mining.  Wink

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Derrike

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 01:19:41 PM

Just saving your laptop.

Thanks for the advice. Would there be any guide for building your own custom rig?  I would then get started in building one. Just looking for affordable parts but decent enough for mining.  Wink
Well I don't really recommend mining at this time,  but if you really want to do it then you can search Google on how to make a litecoin/any other coin  mining rig.
You should also search for the hash rates for different cpu.
J1mb0

Activity: 983
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 01:47:39 PM

I've got interested in CPU mining when I looked into a few alt coins that seemed to be easily minable by the CPU. Since then, I decided to mine XMG (Coin Magi) with my CPU to give it a try. Everything works fine as it should with the CPU mining at an average of 15 kh/s with 3 threads running.

As of now, I own a laptop that has an Intel Core i5-3210M (quad core) with 2.50GHz clock speed. However, most of the time my laptop gets very hot when running the miner at 3 threads. My question is: What type of CPU would be the most adequate to mine such coins? I just want to know of a CPU that's powerful to mine but affordable to buy because I'm planning to build a Desktop PC soon  Roll Eyes  Thanks.

You just need a psu, motherboard/cpu and fan and a bootable stick.
Mining CPU is not profitable, particularly, unless you mine a coin with a low hash rate that later 'goes to the moon'.
Processor is a compromise between cost and hash power. Most newer ones have hardware crypto enhancements (look for AES).

The 8 core amd piledrivers are not too dusty for mining and they are a lot cheaper than Intel.

▄▆▆▄
           ▄████████▄
        ▄██████████████▄
     ▄███████      ███████▄
  ▄███████            ███████▄
███████                  ███████
█████▀                    ▀▀██▀
█████
█████                       ▄▆█
█████                   ▆██████
█████                   ████████
  ▀█                   █▀ ▐████
▄                          ▐████
██▆▄▄                    ▄█████
███████                  ███████
  ▀███████            ███████▀
     ▀███████      ███████▀
        ▀██████████████▀
           ▀████████▀

. Graphene Airdrop Coming Soon by Phore .
  █████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
█████████               ████████
█████████           ▅▆████████▌
█████████     ▅▅▆████████████▌
█████████▆█████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████▀▀▀
████████████████▀▀▀
█████████▀▀
█████████
█████████
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 01:51:55 PM

You just need a psu, motherboard/cpu and fan and a bootable stick.
Mining CPU is not profitable, particularly, unless you mine a coin with a low hash rate that later 'goes to the moon'.
Processor is a compromise between cost and hash power. Most newer ones have hardware crypto enhancements (look for AES).

The 8 core amd piledrivers are not too dusty for mining and they are a lot cheaper than Intel.

Great! Thanks for the advice. I will buy an 8-core AMD processor for my custom rig. They are much cheaper than Intel. I wonder if it's just as reliable as Intel's CPUs..... Cheesy

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
Next BillGates

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 02:00:24 PM

Ref: www.minergate.com  Cool there you should find some CPU minable coins (some coins might be worthless). There you'll also fine an option called "smart miner" which is nothing but, the most profitable coin during the last 24Hrs.

CAUTION: Do remember, while you mine with your PC/Lappy, you're burning them.

Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 02:04:32 PM

Do you mean that mining with CPU will reduce my laptop's lifespan? With CPU usage at 65% when mining, it makes my laptop run at very hot temperature and it might worry that this will reduce its life....I don't know  Huh

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
Next BillGates

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 02:19:25 PM

Do you mean that mining with CPU will reduce my laptop's lifespan? With CPU usage at 65% when mining, it makes my laptop run at very hot temperature and it might worry that this will reduce its life....I don't know  Huh

My personal exp. from CPU mining: When i start to mine with my PC, my PC's CPU usage will reach 100% no effect will sown on that time. But applications will slow down. But if i close mining my CPU usage will became normal unfortunately my PC starts hanging then i've to restart my C to became normal. I'm not sure this happens only because of CPU mining.
My PC's config.:
Toshiba stellite.
320GB HDD
intel i3 core
4GB RAM

Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 02:24:40 PM

My personal exp. from CPU mining: When i start to mine with my PC, my PC's CPU usage will reach 100% no effect will sown on that time. But applications will slow down. But if i close mining my CPU usage will became normal unfortunately my PC starts hanging then i've to restart my C to became normal. I'm not sure this happens only because of CPU mining.
My PC's config.:
Toshiba stellite.
320GB HDD
intel i3 core
4GB RAM

I think CPU usage could be reduced by killing unnecessary programs and leaving only the CPU miner running. I've noticed a drop of 10% in my CPU when I killed explorer.exe and disabled antivirus software.

I also own a Toshiba Satellite. It came with Windows 8 and has 8GB of RAM, an Intel Core i5 3210M CPU and 750GB HDD  Grin But I think I could get more performance if I make the switch to Linux. I've noticed that Lubuntu runs much faster than Windows.  Cool

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
Next BillGates

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 03:10:10 PM

My PC's config.:
Toshiba stellite.
320GB HDD
intel i3 core
4GB RAM

I think CPU usage could be reduced by killing unnecessary programs and leaving only the CPU miner running. I've noticed a drop of 10% in my CPU when I killed explorer.exe and disabled antivirus software.

I also own a Toshiba Satellite. It came with Windows 8 and has 8GB of RAM, an Intel Core i5 3210M CPU and 750GB HDD  Grin But I think I could get more performance if I make the switch to Linux. I've noticed that Lubuntu runs much faster than Windows.  Cool

I think you didn't used all your CPU's core. Because, mining will takes/eats all your CPU's usage (If you used all cores, usually 4 cores)

Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 03:13:12 PM

My PC's config.:
Toshiba stellite.
320GB HDD
intel i3 core
4GB RAM

I think you didn't used all your CPU's core. Because, mining will takes/eats all your CPU's usage (If you used all cores, usually 4 cores)

Exactly. I've also reduced the number of threads (cores) used by the miner in order to lower CPU usage and decrease temperature. I'm worried that if I use all the available cores my laptop will fry up  Smiley

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
CaptDavidPorter

Activity: 133

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2015, 02:38:18 AM

Hey guys you should mine GlobalBoost® $BSTY with CPU.  We also have a GPU miner but it holds little to no advantage over CPU.  Let me know if you have any questions and if you sign up at the main site please use my name "David" as referral id  Cool

https://GlobalBoo.st/+/David
https://twitter.com/PalmBeachHair

tittiecoiner

Activity: 224

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 02:10:27 PM

Check out the XMG thread. Someone developed a miner that adjusts the mining speed / CPU usage according to the network hashrate (you need to learn about the XMG block reward). It also reduces CPU usage when you are doing other tasks and increases when no other tasks is running.

eyeknock

Activity: 381
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 04:56:20 PM

Check out the XMG thread. Someone developed a miner that adjusts the mining speed / CPU usage according to the network hashrate (you need to learn about the XMG block reward). It also reduces CPU usage when you are doing other tasks and increases when no other tasks is running.

yep also the latest one versions run smooth, i can confirm it, btw if you wnt to compare what type of cpu will give you more khs/s you have a pretty goodlist here -> https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

Exactly. I've also reduced the number of threads (cores) used by the miner in order to lower CPU usage and decrease temperature. I'm worried that if I use all the available cores my laptop will fry up  Smiley

like mine with GPU, you should take care about temperature too ofc Wink i know how you fell since i need to do the same with my laptop Wink
tittiecoiner

Activity: 224

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 12:15:46 AM

yep also the latest one versions run smooth, i can confirm it, btw if you wnt to compare what type of cpu will give you more khs/s you have a pretty goodlist here -> https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

True. One of their miner developers stated that your CPUs hashrate should be around 1/100 of the stated Passmark value (i.e. i7-4790 -Passmark 10043 -> 100 kh/s) which is correct in my case.

And for XMG: Don't forget to stake your coins for extra profit (PoW/PoS hybrid coin)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: