Print  
Author Topic: ...  (Read 4329 times)
bitcart

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

www.bitcart.io

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 07:39:23 PM

What effect will this have on the market, do people think? Will the auction oversell bitcoin like with gox auction?

www.bitcart.io
Bitcart - spend bitcoins online and save!
Buy Amazon gift cards with bitcoin and save up to 20% off

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
foodstamps

Activity: 938
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 07:45:01 PM

Preet Bharara U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York <---- I hate this guy so much. he was what killed online poker for the U.S.

(he is who filed this lawsuit)
TKeenan

Activity: 874
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 07:53:12 PM

It's obvious the government took control of the coin.mx twitter and spread misinformation that it was a domain issue, so no one would know about the arrests until later.

https://twitter.com/coin_mx/with_replies

I think it's quite possible the government let the site run for a little while after they took control in order to collect information on customers.

This is good.  They are actually trying to find the fuckers behind cryptolocker.  Coin.mx was helping the Cryptolocker guys and the Fed is trying to get to them.  Good to see Coin.mx get fucked.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 07:57:24 PM

It's not really new though. If you operate an exchange in a state you don't have right paperwork for.... you are asking to be in trouble.  It's considered money laundering.

I mean this happened before with another exchange look at Charile Shrim - http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoins-first-felon-charlie-shrem-begins-2-year-sentence/
This is not even close to the same situation. Charlie Shrem was directly connected to silk road drug money, also he wasn't a true exchange like coin.mx is.

Hopefully this doesn't happen to Coinbase...

Silk Road was what got Charlie Shrem on their radar.  But he was charged with " unlicensed money transmitting business.". 

So I expect that Coin.mx will likely be close to the same.  They were transmitting money without proper license (IE money laundering).
MF Doom

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 08:22:17 PM

So what happens to the customers balances? Will they be held by the feds until they figure out the money trails?

I wouldn't count on the feds doing anything quickly or reasonably.  I'm guessing this will take a long time, and they wont care whose btc are whose.  I'm guessing they will be auctioned off in a year or 2.

It is too bad for the legitimate customers who will be screwed, but it sounds like coin.mx deserved to be shut down for apparently knowingly allowing ransomeware criminals to launder money thorugh them.
funkenstein
Legendary

Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 08:41:05 PM

So what happens to the customers balances? Will they be held by the feds until they figure out the money trails?

I wouldn't count on the feds doing anything quickly or reasonably.  I'm guessing this will take a long time, and they wont care whose btc are whose.  I'm guessing they will be auctioned off in a year or 2.

Yeah, when gangsters confiscate your property, don' t hold your breath expecting it back. 

It is too bad for the legitimate customers who will be screwed, but it sounds like coin.mx deserved to be shut down for apparently knowingly allowing ransomeware criminals to launder money thorugh them.

You misread the report.  They helped victims to obtain coin, not helping ransomware creators to move coin. 

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
http://vtscc.org  http://woodcoin.info
baristor

Activity: 636
Merit: 262

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 10:47:04 PM

It might not be revelant here bt the feds in murica really do alot of BS,

Jus check out the story on aaron shwartz !

unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 10:57:25 PM

They were running a unlicensed money transmitting business from the U and probably with US clients. they should have seen it coming. Don't people see this forum? Folks are arrested in the states for much less...

As for the rest, if they were helping ransomware or not, we can't know for sure...

jwcastle

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 11:00:05 PM

Nice to know that the feds can make up charges any time they want.

BitcoinEval.com - Evaluate your Bitcoin earnings
CPR
electerium

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 11:03:01 PM

Do people really think it is ok for ransomware thieves to cashout?
findftp
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 11:08:09 PM

Just more bad press for Bitcoin.
I hope it'll never stop.
I'm not ready yet accumulating.
entertheabyss

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 11:24:31 PM
Last edit: July 22, 2015, 11:58:41 PM by entertheabyss

fucking regulators. the whole point of bitcoin is that you dont need an id to use it. it is supposed to be decentralized and free. we need more darknet financial servies.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
funkenstein
Legendary

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2015, 12:36:55 AM

Do people really think it is ok for ransomware thieves to cashout?

Are you talking about the uniformed gangsters that took all the Coin.mx stuff?

I'm not sure I'm personally going to go after the guys who made their boots, for example. 

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
funkenstein
Legendary

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2015, 04:05:11 AM

The lack of reading comprehension and substantial analysis here is dismal, almost worthless to discuss anything on bitcoin talk it seems. In the entire 18 page legal document there's one example of someone buying bitcoin from coin.mx for ransom ware. Some of you guys eat up what the media says without even thinking or researching.

Literally no useful information is in this thread, which is appalling. Are people just trying to get signature campaign money and posting brain dead garbage everywhere?

I'm just trying to stir things up cause I'm pissed off about how totally fucked the injustice system is to allow this kind of thing to go down.  Sorry bro. 

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 04:05:42 AM

The lack of reading comprehension and substantial analysis here is dismal, almost worthless to discuss anything on bitcoin talk it seems. In the entire 18 page legal document there's one example of someone buying bitcoin from coin.mx for ransom ware. Some of you guys eat up what the media says without even thinking or researching.

Literally no useful information is in this thread, which is appalling. Are people just trying to get signature campaign money and posting brain dead garbage everywhere?

I think it is more useful for exchanges.  Make sure you have all your paperwork in line, or do not operate in the states you don't is really the end of story.

Some mentioned coinbase I don't think  we will see this effect coinbase.  If they are hit it would be a huge blow.   But coin.mx going down does not really to have changed BTC price much... so that is good.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 07:08:07 AM

fucking regulators. the whole point of bitcoin is that you dont need an id to use it. it is supposed to be decentralized and free. we need more darknet financial servies.

they should operate abroad and not in america where IRS and governments will control the fuck out of everything you can dream to do

i'm not aware of the rules in america, but if you have your business abroad they can't touch you i guess
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 07:24:23 AM

I guess you missed my post, eh?
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 08:15:05 AM

I have an unfortunate customer who wants to buy from me and have me send ransom Bitcoins directly to CryptoWall.

My question is would I be in legal trouble for helping the customer because I charge for my services?

If yes, would I be in trouble for helping the customer if I do not charge any service fee?

Any help would be appreciated!

** this transaction been completed as of September 26th.

Two people replied no, so he went and did it.
bitcoinmasterlord
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 09:06:18 PM

Doesn't the accusation say that coin.mx KNEW that these coins were coming from ransomware? So it might not be because they traded bitcoins without a license but that they took part in a crime and not stopped it even though they knew it.

Possible?
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 09:32:18 PM

I think it is more useful for exchanges.  Make sure you have all your paperwork in line, or do not operate in the states you don't is really the end of story.

Some mentioned coinbase I don't think  we will see this effect coinbase.  If they are hit it would be a huge blow.   But coin.mx going down does not really to have changed BTC price much... so that is good.

No one needs to worry about Coinbase since it's a U.S. government honeypot anyway.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: