Print  
Author Topic: ...  (Read 4339 times)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 09:34:14 PM

The lack of reading comprehension and substantial analysis here is dismal, almost worthless to discuss anything on bitcoin talk it seems. In the entire 18 page legal document there's one example of someone buying bitcoin from coin.mx for ransom ware. Some of you guys eat up what the media says without even thinking or researching.

Literally no useful information is in this thread, which is appalling. Are people just trying to get signature campaign money and posting brain dead garbage everywhere?

I think it is more useful for exchanges.  Make sure you have all your paperwork in line, or do not operate in the states you don't is really the end of story.

Some mentioned coinbase I don't think  we will see this effect coinbase.  If they are hit it would be a huge blow.   But coin.mx going down does not really to have changed BTC price much... so that is good.

No one needs to worry about Coinbase since it's a U.S. government honeypot anyway.

And where did you come up with this?

I think it's one of the more trusted exchanges.  I have never had a issue with them.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 10:00:25 PM

The lack of reading comprehension and substantial analysis here is dismal, almost worthless to discuss anything on bitcoin talk it seems. In the entire 18 page legal document there's one example of someone buying bitcoin from coin.mx for ransom ware. Some of you guys eat up what the media says without even thinking or researching.

Literally no useful information is in this thread, which is appalling. Are people just trying to get signature campaign money and posting brain dead garbage everywhere?

I think it is more useful for exchanges.  Make sure you have all your paperwork in line, or do not operate in the states you don't is really the end of story.

Some mentioned coinbase I don't think  we will see this effect coinbase.  If they are hit it would be a huge blow.   But coin.mx going down does not really to have changed BTC price much... so that is good.

No one needs to worry about Coinbase since it's a U.S. government honeypot anyway.

I think it's one of the more trusted exchanges.  I have never had a issue with them.

Being a government data collection site has nothing to do with services rendered. In fact, I would expect them to work perfectly if they were a honeypot. It's hard to collect data if no one uses your service.

SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2015, 04:01:22 PM

Being a government data collection site has nothing to do with services rendered. In fact, I would expect them to work perfectly if they were a honeypot. It's hard to collect data if no one uses your service.

I doubt they were created that way. But it doesnt matter. They are a honeypot anyway since since edward snowden we know that all the big providers of internet service are forced to let the NSA read every traffic they have. They are forbidden to speak about otherwise they would get real problems. There was a guy that ran an anonmous email service. He was forced to do the same but since he didnt wanted and there was no solution he simply closed the service. Even though it was a good business. Guess there are some standup persons in the US still.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 06:17:44 PM

I doubt they were created that way. But it doesnt matter. They are a honeypot anyway since since edward snowden we know that all the big providers of internet service are forced to let the NSA read every traffic they have. They are forbidden to speak about otherwise they would get real problems. There was a guy that ran an anonmous email service. He was forced to do the same but since he didnt wanted and there was no solution he simply closed the service. Even though it was a good business. Guess there are some standup persons in the US still.

Oh, I agree. I don't think any business starts as a honeypot. I think the anti-freedom, patriot act loving, AmericanMaggotLegislators/KillYourCustomer totalitarian government threatens the business and recruits them or forces them out of business

foxbitcoin

Activity: 593
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 07:11:15 PM

I decided to make an account anyway because it looked like the simplest way to buy bitcoins using my credit card. fortunately I was not affected...do not leave your money on exchanges!
roadbits
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 03:45:37 PM

basically shut down and under investigation. The coins will probably be confiscated by the authorities and users will never get to use them again (like Silk Road).
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2015, 01:01:51 PM

basically shut down and under investigation. The coins will probably be confiscated by the authorities and users will never get to use them again (like Silk Road).

I believe with silk road there was the chance to claim your coins. They did not belong to silk road. The thing is... most probably no one did this since he would be connectable to his account. And what did he do there? Selling drugs? Or buying them?

I wonder if there was a legit thing to buy at all, i mean so that a customer only has bought legit items. There is always a reason to use such website so even when someone bought legit things, maybe he wanted to hide the origin of his coins then.

But when the coin.mx coins are in possession of the state then most probably legit users will have the chance to claim them.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 06:11:02 PM

I decided to make an account anyway because it looked like the simplest way to buy bitcoins using my credit card. fortunately I was not affected...do not leave your money on exchanges!

Yes, me too. I was in the process of verification since I was about to order from the foreign country, so they needed additional documents. Even they didn't know what was coming, poor bastards.

And thanks God that my verification took as long, I would maybe stay without my money.
I still can't believe that the customers won't get their coins/money back and that these coins will be seized by the US government.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 06:21:39 PM

Yes, me too. I was in the process of verification since I was about to order from the foreign country, so they needed additional documents. Even they didn't know what was coming, poor bastards.

And thanks God that my verification took as long, I would maybe stay without my money.
I still can't believe that the customers won't get their coins/money back and that these coins will be seized by the US government.

People should launch a court case against america, take it to the UN.  The gov of America are utter bastards.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 07:38:52 PM

People should launch a court case against america, take it to the UN.  The gov of America are utter bastards.

Yeah, that's the worst part, how are you just gonna confiscate other people's money, your citizens money in a so called democracy?

And then you will take these "legaly" confiscated funds and sell them in some auctions! Completely incredible!
roadbits
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 04:43:09 PM

Once your account reaches a certain level of activity, Coinbase ask you a number of questions as to how you are funding your account to buy btc and what they are for. So this makes them compliant with AML.

Coinbase is unlikely to be shut down. It is refusing to do business with people in certain states because they are afraid of breaking their local regulations. It's extremely paranoid about who it does business with and people have had their accounts closed for buying from Coinbase and then selling on Local Bitcoins. It probably reports anything and everything just to comply with regulations.
keep in mind that any exchange may conceivably someday shut down without warning (like MtGox), so don't keep large amounts with them long term; withdraw the coins to a secure wallet under your control.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6720

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2015, 05:04:29 PM

Since the basis for this case (as I understand it) is that they were operating without a license, does that mean any high volume trader on localbitcoins requires a money transmitter license if they operate in the US?

vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3653

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 05:31:59 PM

RE: coinbase

I have account with coinbase and I told my accountant and claimed by BTC profit when he did my tax returns..  like a good sheep to the good old USofA

but I leave only a couple BTC there and the bank account its linked to is a "disposable" bank account special for coinbase. and of course the IRS knows about my other bank accounts.
misterycoins

Activity: 249
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 10:12:33 PM

That's why exchanges and other hosted  eWallets should not be where large amounts of coins should be parked, except when needed for trading.
wickss

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 02:31:41 PM

Since the basis for this case (as I understand it) is that they were operating without a license, does that mean any high volume trader on localbitcoins requires a money transmitter license if they operate in the US?
Depends on the state.  They are definitely required to be registered with FinCen.
Trustafarian

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 02:53:13 PM

It's shameful the amount of wickedness the U.S. enjoys at incarcerating a maximum amount of people who are not with the establishment.

Yes I'm sure they have broken licensing regulations.

Was the business built to defraud their customers ? No!
The agents themselves confirm having made successful exchanges on the platforms!

Couldn't the authorities contact them and give them a warning that you need to be licensed otherwise we will shut you down ?
Impose a fine too at some point!

Why is it:

Big corporations are fined for corruption, malpractice, tax evasion schemes.
Small companies have their owners incarcerated.

Oh! it's because when you are too big to fail the U.S. happily lets you pay your way out in the billions and management goes scot-free.
"Six banks fined $5.6bn over rigging of foreign exchange markets" http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/23fa681c-fe73-11e4-be9f-00144feabdc0.html#slide0.
Of course there is not even the slightest hint of any employee being under investigation. If coin.mx owner goes to jail then put JP Morgan CEO behind bars too!
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 03:46:22 PM

Are Bittrex, Cryptsy and Poloniex in danger of being shut down by the Feds?

Poloniex twitted this the other day:
https://www.bitcoin.com/en/bitcoin-news/1801388864699469581-poloniex-leaves-new-york-due-to-bitlicense

So anyone holding coins in New York withdraw them, or else you will lose them.
As expected, regulations start ruining Bitcoin and companies will be forced to leave wherever those insane regulations are taking place.
seedtrue
Legendary

Activity: 963
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 04:13:42 PM

I am still getting spam mail from them, even though I never used the exchange before they were busted. I had signed up for an account though when it first opened up. I just never could justify the high fees to myself. The convenience did not outweigh the fees.

Glad I never got caught up with them.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: