Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 02:19:31 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tesla's 'Ludicrous' Model S is a 2.8-second monster  (Read 389 times)
cryptocoiner (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

hyperboria - next internet

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 03:51:39 PM

Tesla's 'Ludicrous' Model S is a 2.8-second monster

If you’ve watched any YouTube drag races lately, or read our Speed Week head-to-head between the Tesla Model S P85D and the BMW i8, you’ll be aware that the range-topping electric Tesla is fairly brisk.

In fact, with a verified 0-62mph time of 3.2 seconds in ‘Insane Mode’, it’s hardly the sort of family saloon crying out for a power boost.

But the P85D just got faster anyway. Clearly disappointed that his space rockets accelerate faster than his cars, Telsa founder Elon Musk has announced a new $13,000 option package for the 682bhp Model S.

Complete with a beefy new 90kWh battery back, the tweak unlocks ‘Ludicrous Mode’. No joke – that’s its official name. And the numbers are indeed crackers.

Musk claims the flagship Tesla’s front motor now develops 259bhp – pretty much the same as the output of the petrol engine from the Nürburgring-crushing Seat Leon Cupra 280.

But pushing from the Model S’s rear is another e-motor, creating a Mercedes C63-sized 503bhp. That’s 762bhp in total, on tap from standstill, and without a single upgrade to the motors themselves.

How? Well, the limiting factors in the Tesla’s already bonkers performance were its poor fuses, which simply couldn’t cope with the monster battery pack lobbing full amperage at the motors all at once.

So Tesla’s come up with a new ‘intelligent fuse’ – with its own little battery – which can adapt its resistance tolerance every millisecond, depending how heavy the driver’s right foot is. In Ludicrous Mode, that equates to 0-60mph in a fuss-free, gearchange-free 2.8 seconds.

And, presumably, streaks of flames left in the road behind you.

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20150720-teslas-28-second-model-s-the-p85d-ludicrous

ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 03:56:24 PM

I like how they're finally pushing electric cars are being viable for those that want power. But wouldn't this severely drain the battery due to drag and such, essentially rendering the vehicle worthless for anything other than a short trip (at least in "Ludicrous Mode")?

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
bojan92

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 09:07:17 PM

That is one very fast electric car. Another example for a fast electric car is the Mercedes SLS AMG Electric Drive. As i know the electric cars produce much more tourque than the petrol or diesel powered cars. That is main reason for the fast electric cars Smiley
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2015, 02:06:33 AM

The real question is, why is this automobile discussion thread in the politics & society subforum?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=9.0 <- off-topic is here

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
cryptocoiner (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

hyperboria - next internet

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2015, 03:44:09 AM

Maybe becouse eletric cars gonna affect our society dramatically?

freeyourmind

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 05:20:27 AM

I'm interested to see what the Model 3 is going to be like.  It's supposed to be 20% smaller than the Model S, starting at 35k USD.  I'd be interested in a dual motor version of that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: