Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:01:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Easy DNA Editing Will Remake the World. Buckle Up.  (Read 1432 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 03:54:35 PM

[...]
Earlier this year, Baltimore joined 17 other researchers for another California conference, this one at the Carneros Inn in Napa Valley. “It was a feeling of déjà vu,” Baltimore says. There he was again, gathered with some of the smartest scientists on earth to talk about the implications of genome engineering.

The stakes, however, have changed. Everyone at the Napa meeting had access to a gene-editing technique called Crispr-Cas9. The first term is an acronym for “clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats,” a description of the genetic basis of the method; Cas9 is the name of a protein that makes it work. Technical details aside, Crispr-Cas9 makes it easy, cheap, and fast to move genes around—any genes, in any living thing, from bacteria to people. “These are monumental moments in the history of biomedical research,” Baltimore says. “They don't happen every day.”

Using the three-year-old technique, researchers have already reversed mutations that cause blindness, stopped cancer cells from multiplying, and made cells impervious to the virus that causes AIDS. Agronomists have rendered wheat invulnerable to killer fungi like powdery mildew, hinting at engineered staple crops that can feed a population of 9 billion on an ever-warmer planet. Bioengineers have used Crispr to alter the DNA of yeast so that it consumes plant matter and excretes ethanol, promising an end to reliance on petrochemicals. Startups devoted to Crispr have launched. International pharmaceutical and agricultural companies have spun up Crispr R&D. Two of the most powerful universities in the US are engaged in a vicious war over the basic patent. Depending on what kind of person you are, Crispr makes you see a gleaming world of the future, a Nobel medallion, or dollar signs.

The technique is revolutionary, and like all revolutions, it's perilous. Crispr goes well beyond anything the Asilomar conference discussed. It could at last allow genetics researchers to conjure everything anyone has ever worried they would—designer babies, invasive mutants, species-specific bioweapons, and a dozen other apocalyptic sci-fi tropes. It brings with it all-new rules for the practice of research in the life sciences. But no one knows what the rules are—or who will be the first to break them.

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/crispr-dna-editing-2/

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
funkenstein
Legendary

Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 05:16:00 PM

So why do we immediately disbelieve these claims? 

First there is the publication style, making it seem like written-for-idiots clickbait. 

Second, we have been through this with PCR and 30 years of basically the same claims.  Effectively these techniques have as their only successes those modifications of genomes that made plants less productive, e.g. either needing more chemicals or needing purchasing seeds, because that means you could charge the farmers more.     

None of all this tech has been able to reproduce anything like the feats of e.g. the ancient american agricultural scientists. 

I like to keep an open mind so I'm not going to fully discount crispr.  However it's totally clear nothing useful will come from this while the research is paid for in fiat. 

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
http://vtscc.org  http://woodcoin.info
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 05:19:16 PM

First there is the publication style, making it seem like written-for-idiots clickbait. 

Second, we have been through this with PCR and 30 years of basically the same claims.  Effectively these techniques have as their only successes those modifications of genomes that made plants less productive, e.g. either needing more chemicals or needing purchasing seeds, because that means you could charge the farmers more.     

None of all this tech has been able to reproduce anything like the feats of e.g. the ancient american agricultural scientists. 

I like to keep an open mind so I'm not going to fully discount crispr.  However it's totally clear nothing useful will come from this while the research is paid for in fiat. 

Britain becomes first nation to legalise three-parent babies

Britain will become the first nation to legalise a "three-parent" IVF technique which doctors say can prevent some inherited incurable diseases but which critics fear will effectively lead to "designer babies".
After more than three hours of debate, lawmakers in parliament's upper house voted on Tuesday for a change in the law to allow the treatments, echoing a positive vote in the lower house earlier this month.

The treatment, called mitochondrial transfer, is known as "three-parent" in vitro fertilisation (IVF) because the babies, born from genetically modified embryos, would have DNA from a mother, a father and from a female donor.

Although the techniques are still at the research stage in laboratories in Britain and the United States, experts say that now legal hurdles have been overcome, Britain's first 3-parent baby could be born as early as 2016.

Mitochondrial transfer involves intervening in the fertilisation process to remove faulty mitochondrial DNA, which can cause inherited conditions such as heart problems, liver failure, brain disorders, blindness and muscular dystrophy.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/02/25/britain-becomes-first-nation-to-legalise-three-parent-babies.html

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 05:21:13 PM

Critics Lash Out At Chinese Scientists Who Edited DNA In Human Embryos

For the first time, scientists have edited DNA in human embryos, a highly controversial step long considered off limits.

Junjiu Huang and his colleagues at the Sun Yat-sen University in Guangzhou, China, performed a series of experiments involving 86 human embryos to see if they could make changes in a gene known as HBB, which causes the sometimes fatal blood disorder beta-thalassemia.

The report, in the journal Protein & Cell, was immediately condemned by other scientists and watchdog groups, who argue the research is unsafe, premature and raises disturbing ethical concerns.

"No researcher should have the moral warrant to flout the globally widespread policy agreement against modifying the human germline," Marcy Darnovsky of the Center for Genetics and Society, a watchdog group, wrote in an email to Shots. "This paper demonstrates the enormous safety risks that any such attempt would entail, and underlines the urgency of working to forestall other such efforts. The social dangers of creating genetically modified human beings cannot be overstated."

George Daley, a stem cell researcher at Harvard, agreed.

"Their data reinforces the wisdom of the calls for a moratorium on any clinical practice of embryo gene editing, because current methods are too inefficient and unsafe," he wrote in an email. "Further, there needs to be careful consideration not only of the safety but also of the social and ethical implications of applying this technology to alter our germ lines."

Scientists have been able to manipulate DNA for years. But it's long been considered taboo to make changes in the DNA in a human egg, sperm or embryo because those changes could become a permanent part of the human genetic blueprint. One concern is that it would be unsafe: Scientists could make a mistake, which could introduce a new disease that would be passed down for generations. And there's also fears it this could lead to socially troubling developments, such as "designer babies," in which parents can pick and choose the traits of their children.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2015/04/23/401655818/critics-lash-out-at-chinese-scientists-who-edited-dna-in-human-embryos

jeannemadrigal2

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 05:27:10 PM

So it looks like life is turning into a sci fi movie, BUT WHERE IS MY DAMN HOVERBOARD!  And dont link me to that cheesey one they made, I want something I can buy at walmart dammit.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 05:34:55 PM

So it looks like life is turning into a sci fi movie, BUT WHERE IS MY DAMN HOVERBOARD!  And dont link me to that cheesey one they made, I want something I can buy at walmart dammit.

I would be happy with an AmazonBasics© Jet pack

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 05:36:40 PM

Finally I can start work on my Monkey-Dog! Funnest pet ever!!!!  Grin

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
funkenstein
Legendary

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 05:37:08 PM

Britain becomes first nation to legalise three-parent babies

Britain will become the first nation to legalise a "three-parent" IVF technique which doctors say can prevent some inherited incurable diseases but which critics fear will effectively lead to "designer babies".
After more than three hours of debate, lawmakers in parliament's upper house voted on Tuesday for a change in the law to allow the treatments, echoing a positive vote in the lower house earlier this month.

The treatment, called mitochondrial transfer, is known as "three-parent" in vitro fertilisation (IVF) because the babies, born from genetically modified embryos, would have DNA from a mother, a father and from a female donor.

Although the techniques are still at the research stage in laboratories in Britain and the United States, experts say that now legal hurdles have been overcome, Britain's first 3-parent baby could be born as early as 2016.

Mitochondrial transfer involves intervening in the fertilisation process to remove faulty mitochondrial DNA, which can cause inherited conditions such as heart problems, liver failure, brain disorders, blindness and muscular dystrophy.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/02/25/britain-becomes-first-nation-to-legalise-three-parent-babies.html

Nice parlor trick.  Of course anyone with half a brain knows that "designer babies" are produced by -actually taking part in their development as living beings-.  

Anyway, legal hurdles?  lmao.  

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
funkenstein
Legendary

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 05:39:46 PM

"The social dangers of creating genetically modified human beings cannot be overstated."

LOL, she just overstated them!!

Social dangers??  wtf is she on about?  

Racey
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000

Soon, I have to go away.

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 05:54:16 PM

I just knew I had seen this article before New DNA-editing technology spawns bold UC initiative

That wired site is Plagiarising, does not even give credit at all, just quoting a small section is quite the norm these days.
A link back (from wired) would have been the right and proper thing to do.

And its gone.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 07:11:25 PM

I just knew I had seen this article before New DNA-editing technology spawns bold UC initiative

That wired site is Plagiarising, does not even give credit at all, just quoting a small section is quite the norm these days.

Let's wait and see if wired get sued for plagiarism...

So far we have the monkey-dog as a the closest on topic participating winner in the thread... Is that good or bad? Oh! And of course total dismissal as being untrue, click bait, science fiction, etc, etc... The usual response from the unknown.

Even if science can do it, should we do it?

MakingMoneyHoney

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 08:01:24 PM

Let's wait and see if wired get sued for plagiarism...

So far we have the monkey-dog as a the closest on topic participating winner in the thread... Is that good or bad? Oh! And of course total dismissal as being untrue, click bait, science fiction, etc, etc... The usual response from the unknown.

Even if science can do it, should we do it?

From a Christian, no. We're not supposed to.

Will society do it if they can? Yes. That can be argued to be prophesied in the bible.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 01:10:23 PM

Crispr: Breakthrough announced in technique of 'editing' DNA to fight off deadly illnesses

A revolutionary technique for “editing” the human genome with extreme precision has been used for the first time to “cut and paste” the genes of a key type of immune cell involved in protecting the body against a wide range of diseases, from diabetes to HIV and cancer.

Scientists believe the development could eventually result in a new approach to fighting viral infections and cancerous tumours, by “gene editing” the T-cells of the immune system in the laboratory before putting them back into the patient to protect against ill health.

Medical researchers have been trying for years to perform accurate gene therapy on T-cells circulating in the bloodstream, which are involved in protecting against invasive pathogens and cancer, as well as auto-immune disorders such as type-1 diabetes, where the immune system attacks the body’s own tissues.

However, they have not succeeded until now in cutting out mutations and precisely replacing them with healthy strands of DNA, said Alexander Marson of the University of California, San Francisco, who led the latest research.

Dr Marson and his colleagues used the Crispr (Clustered, Regularly Interspaced, Short Palindromic Repeat) gene-editing technique to cut and splice fragments of DNA within the chromosomes of human T-cells living in a laboratory dish – as “proof of principle” that the process is precise enough for eventual use as a clinical treatment.

“There is increasing interest in manipulating the genome of T-cells, either by correcting mutations or changing the genome to increase the chances of the cells being able to fight off cancer or infections,” Dr Marson said.

“We wanted not only to cut the genome, but to paste in sequences of DNA into the genome of T-cells. We have now been able to cut as well as paste pieces of the genome into human T-cells – for the first time to our knowledge.”

Crispr (pronounced “crisper”) has proved a highly accurate method of identifying precise positions on the DNA molecule and, with the help of an enzyme called Cas9, cutting the double helix strands and replacing exact sections with synthetic, healthy sequences of DNA.

Experiments on animals have shown that Crispr/Cas9 works better than any previous gene-editing technique and offers a realistic alternative to gene therapy on human cells that does not involve viruses or other cumbersome methods of editing and inserting the corrected DNA sequences.

“Genome editing in human T-cells has been a notable challenge for the field,” Dr Marson said. “So we spent the past year and a half trying to optimise editing in functional T-cells. There are a lot of potential therapeutic applications, and we want to make sure we are driving this as hard as we can.”

“It has been really challenging to get Crispr to work in T-cells. This, in our hands, allows us to achieve a new level of efficiency for cutting and repair,” he added.

A key factor in the breakthrough was the use of a technique called “electroporation”, where an electric field is applied across the T-cells in order to open up microscopic pores in the cell that allow the Crispr/Cas9 molecule to enter.

Dr Marson said that although some of the human T-cells did not survive exposure to the electric field in tests, many more recovered completely and around one in five showed they had successfully taken the gene-editing on board – a 20 per cent efficiency rate that is good enough for clinical use.

In the study, published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, researchers were able to convert the CXCR4 protein on the surface of T-cells so that the genetically-modified cells were no longer prone to attack by the HIV virus.

“This could be a stepping stone to engineering T-cells that are immune to HIV and then putting them back into the body. Potentially we have the power to engineer proteins that are a target for HIV infection,” Dr Marson said.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/crispr-breakthrough-announced-in-technique-of-editing-dna-to-fight-off-deadly-illnesses-10420050.html

BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 1372

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 03:48:05 PM

Back around 1990, a geneticist who was also a violet flower grower, got an idea. If he could add an extra purple gene to his violets, he should be able to get some extremely purple violets, and win the violet growing contest. But when he did this, the violet flowers turned out white.

Around the turn of the century, a couple of geneticist researchers figured out why the violets turned white. It had to do with an immune system protection that shuts down an active gene if a duplicate is added to the original.

This was used in the early 2,000s to cure a woman of glaucoma by turning off a gene that was producing too many capillaries in her eyes. I never heard if there were complications, and I don't have the info to back it up. But the idea has been around for about a decade now.

Smiley

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 04:55:17 PM

Back around 1990, a geneticist who was also a violet flower grower, got an idea. If he could add an extra purple gene to his violets, he should be able to get some extremely purple violets, and win the violet growing contest. But when he did this, the violet flowers turned out white.

Around the turn of the century, a couple of geneticist researchers figured out why the violets turned white. It had to do with an immune system protection that shuts down an active gene if a duplicate is added to the original.

This was used in the early 2,000s to cure a woman of glaucoma by turning off a gene that was producing too many capillaries in her eyes. I never heard if there were complications, and I don't have the info to back it up. But the idea has been around for about a decade now.

Smiley

And now this decade old idea is shared on bitcointalk.

Smiley

goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 04:58:34 PM

http://andrew.gibiansky.com/blog/genetics/crispr/

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9854220

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2015, 05:05:12 PM

"The social dangers of creating genetically modified human beings cannot be overstated."

If she's religious, it will be like claiming gay marriage will cause beastiality.
soden

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 06:15:04 PM

with DNA editing, we can do anything easier, but in side we get bad condition too.
cause everything can changed with that.
we can make something new and experience or researcher with that. always make new experience and experience for all the human being.
Okurkabinladin

Activity: 574
Merit: 506

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 06:26:23 PM

Well, this is kind of expected. Western hypocrisy on one hand supports global inequality, yet laments that some people are naturally smarter, stronger or richer, than others.

China for most of its history has been on other hand practicing soft eugenics to ensure health of its population. Now augemented by increasing knowledge of genetics.

Geoffrey Miller claims, that just in several generations Chinese could outcompete West from top down, solely thanks to the fact, that while they will get smarter, we will get dumber.

http://edge.org/response-detail/23838/
Racey
Legendary

Activity: 1134

Soon, I have to go away.

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 07:38:51 PM

Fact:

Your DNA will get a full download, also your neurons & synapses will upgrade if you stop watching Fox News, NBCNews, ABCnews and CNN.

And its gone.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: