Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:49:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the best algorithm to use for a new Altcoin?  (Read 1598 times)
x86cam (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 05:26:21 PM

Hello everyone:

I'm a relatively young (16 year old) programmer, trying to push myself to learn new things (somewhat an inefficient programmer tbh).

For the past week, I've been attempting to create a new Altcoin to learn about cryptocurrency, which I thought it was ready, but turns out after I released it, the coin got mined through easily and people started running into issues. I was using SHA256 (since the only stuff I know how to make so far is Scrypt and SHA256). Also, it was the old Bitcoin release ( 0.8.0 ), so it had issues there.

I'm still learning this whole cryptocurrency deal, trying to figure out how to code more efficiently for these, so please excuse my noobish questions:

What would be the best algorithm to use for a new Altcoin?

The list of algorithms I've heard of so far:
  • SHA256
  • Scrypt
  • X11
  • X13
  • X15
  • Lyra2RE

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tromp
Legendary

Activity: 978
Merit: 1087

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 07:18:21 PM

I think you mean proof-of-work system.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Proof_of_work
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof-of-work_system

• SHA256
  • Scrypt
  • X11
  • X13
  • X15
  • Lyra2RE

These are all hash functions that can be used in the Hashcash proof-of-work system.
Tash

Activity: 1190
Merit: 305

Pro financial, medical liberty

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 08:00:40 PM

Hello everyone:

I'm a relatively young (16 year old) programmer, trying to push myself to learn new things (somewhat an inefficient programmer tbh).

For the past week, I've been attempting to create a new Altcoin to learn about cryptocurrency, which I thought it was ready, but turns out after I released it, the coin got mined through easily and people started running into issues. I was using SHA256 (since the only stuff I know how to make so far is Scrypt and SHA256). Also, it was the old Bitcoin release ( 0.8.0 ), so it had issues there.

I'm still learning this whole cryptocurrency deal, trying to figure out how to code more efficiently for these, so please excuse my noobish questions:

• SHA256
  • Scrypt
  • X11
  • X13
  • X15
  • Lyra2RE

Any of the "X" coins is just a combination of different hash functions. In case of X11 its Sifcoin and Qubitcoin joined.
Sifcoin 6 hash (Blake, BMW, Groestl, JH, Keccak, Skein) + Qubitcoin 5 hash (Luffa, Cubehash, Shavite, Simd, Echo)
Be creative and make your own combination then you can clam inventor of X2, X6, Xwhatever

or others:
Script-Chacha
Script-N
Scrypt Jane
NeoScript
ZR5
Cryptonight
Blake-256
M7

bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 11:06:29 PM

Personally I think anything GPU-based for fair distribution as not everybody have ASICs or botnets (CPU):

x11, x13, x14, x15, x17, jackpot, qubit, nist5, fresh, groestl, myr-groestl, quark, luffa, m7, blake (any), keccak (sha-3), heavy/hefty1, fugue256, deep, s3, spread, dmd-groestl, lyra2RE, pluck, whirl (any), zr5, skein (any), yescrypt, scrypt-jane, etc...

Not your keys, not your coins!
YarkoL
Legendary

Activity: 996
Merit: 1013

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 06:45:36 AM

For the past week, I've been attempting to create a new Altcoin to learn about cryptocurrency, which I thought it was ready, but turns out after I released it, the coin got mined through easily and people started running into issues.

SHA256 is tricky in initial stages, since people have these usb miners, so
you need to start with quite heavy difficulty.

In my opinion Scrypt or X11 are fine... the PoW algo is just the engine
that makes the coin move forward in time, but what makes coin unique are
features on the transaction level.

That being said, if you want to explore this aspect, I recommend looking
at Blakecoin or Woodcoin.

“God does not play dice"
KingJo

Activity: 37

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 03:42:45 PM

Creva coin, an electronic money developed by teams with experiences in developing bit coins, has an algorithm as bit coins d. 
 so crevacoin have best algorithm to use !!!
-Lux-

Activity: 200
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 03:51:19 PM

Creva coin, an electronic money developed by teams with experiences in developing bit coins, has an algorithm as bit coins d. 
 so crevacoin have best algorithm to use !!!
Crave fucking sucks

SHADOW ◈ Anonymous POS ◈ Ring Signatures ◈ Encrypted Messaging ◈
SHADOW ◈ Open Source Project ◈ User Friendly Wallet ◈ Built-in Anonymous Market ◈
SHADOWHOME PAGEFORUMWIKI
StudyEconomics

Activity: 49

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 03:59:35 PM

I think x11 is good for GPUs
MaxDZ8

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 04:06:18 PM

Probably none of the above.

A friend of mine once suggested me to look into skein, I'd say I'm fairly positive about it by now.

Long hash chains are cryptographically nonsense, X11 or longer are just based on misinformation as far as I am concerned.

I liked qubit (X5, X11 'tail'). Look at JHA/Quark/Ziftr for something more interesting. The latter needs some work to be ported to GPU efficiently but thinking out of the box will reap great benefits for GPU.

I would suggest against Lyra2RE for the time being as the VTC team seems to be planning a fork to new parameters. There's chance a private lyra2RE kernel exists with massively improved performance.

Yescrypt is going to be CPU-optimal for a long time; if CPU mining is your thing that's where you should go.

Wild keccak is also an interesting twist.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: