Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:22:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Firefox addon  (Read 1474 times)
galaxyAbstractor (OP)

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2011, 01:48:50 PM

I am currently creating a firefox addon which you should be able to easily donate bitcoins to site owners that provides bitcoin address. I have encountered some obstacles though:

1. How would I send the JSON-RPC calls in javascript? Send an HTTP POST request to the port on localhost?

2. How do I explain to the user that he needs to put an autostart command to start bitcoin as a server? Is it even possible to run both a client and a server at the same time? The addon should be easy to use for everyone, and explaining to them how they have to do a .bat file with some random code and place it in the autostart folder, how would that be easy?

1gaLaxy9csuBTvNLJYoUy6sengQbh1TpV
Pyramining - Invest in mining!
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 05:54:45 PM

2. How do I explain to the user that he needs to put an autostart command to start bitcoin as a server? Is it even possible to run both a client and a server at the same time? The addon should be easy to use for everyone, and explaining to them how they have to do a .bat file with some random code and place it in the autostart folder, how would that be easy?
I'm pretty sure that addons have full read/write access to the filesystem. As such, just configure bitcoin.conf appropriately (or read in the values for the rpcuser/rpcpassword if they are already set).

galaxyAbstractor (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2011, 05:56:51 PM

I'm pretty sure that addons have full read/write access to the filesystem. As such, just configure bitcoin.conf appropriately (or read in the values for the rpcuser/rpcpassword if they are already set).

I talked with the help channel and they told me that it is possible to gain filesystem access and to execute programs, but they said it is very hard to get such an addon approved. Ahh maybe I'll go that way and distribute the addon myself if they don't approve it

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 06:55:44 PM

I talked with the help channel and they told me that it is possible to gain filesystem access and to execute programs, but they said it is very hard to get such an addon approved. Ahh maybe I'll go that way and distribute the addon myself if they don't approve it
There is no reason to execute programs. Just read/write to the bitcoin.conf file.

galaxyAbstractor (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2011, 07:01:35 PM

There is no reason to execute programs. Just read/write to the bitcoin.conf file.

But I want to use the JSON-RCP API to make payments, and for that the bitcoin program needs to be run with the -server argument, right?

keine-ahnung

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 09:55:34 PM

"server=1" in bitcoin.conf will cause bitcoin to act as it was started with -server
mwally

Activity: 21

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2011, 12:32:58 AM

I am currently creating a firefox addon which you should be able to easily donate bitcoins to site owners that provides bitcoin address.

What about a new robots.txt directive for bitcoin donations?  It could be something as simple as:

Code:
User-agent: *
Disallow: /files/
Disallow: /admin/

Sitemap: http://example.com/sitemap.xml
Donations: 171RLtavSkiKoDGSboatMNJ9dqpvjYSesR

Perhaps the word 'Donations' here is inappropriate, as Bitcoin has many uses, but it could be a simple way for webmasters to broadcast their Bitcoin addresses in a universal, simple way.

galaxyAbstractor (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2011, 05:07:31 PM

"server=1" in bitcoin.conf will cause bitcoin to act as it was started with -server

I see. But will the client and server be able to be ran at the same time?

keine-ahnung

Activity: 13

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 11:54:33 AM

server=1 doesn't disable the GUI, it just enables the RPC-interface, so their is no need to run bitcoin twice.
galaxyAbstractor (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 10:46:33 PM

server=1 doesn't disable the GUI, it just enables the RPC-interface, so their is no need to run bitcoin twice.

Ah yeah I just had the impression that with server it meant like something like httpd, mysqld etc, which doesn't have a GUI. It's clear now Tongue

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: